JVC DR-MH 30 experiences ? Anybody

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Juicemaker, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Juicemaker

Juicemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi at All
    New on the forum, and after having read many threads, I considering buying this new JVC model, but it's more or less not mentioned on this board....

Are there any people who could compare their personal use of this new machine?

:lease:

Thanks

2. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I don't have one but according to a couple of threads here the following small issues exist with this model.
    1) No RGB input, but if you have Sky+ you could use SVideo in.
    2) Inability to edit programs on the HD to save space. You can set up a playlist for transfer to DVD-R/RW. On the Panasonic machines you can delete part of a program on the HD.

Steve.

3. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the DR-MH30 model for a couple of days.

I was aware of the missing rgb-input before I bought it, so no problems there, but the mentioned "editing on hdd" issue caused me to return the recorder.

If you intend to record materiel with a lot of adverts, you have to chapter mark the recording several times (at the start and end points of each advert, and two more times to trim the start and end of the recording), make a playlist (select the bits you want to keep), and finally transfer to dvd.

I know some people dub the recoring to RAM, edit it on disc (where you can erase sections of a title), and then transfer it back to the hdd, but that is a complete waste of time IMHO.

Otherwise a great recorder with a lot of options and silent too.

It was my first, so I cannot compare it to another machine, but I´ll soon get a Pioneer DVR-520 as replacement. If it doesn´t live up my expectations, I'll get a Panasonic DMR-E85 and live with it´s missing features.

"Nobody Is Perfect" - this goes for dvd-recorders too :)

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I suspect from a techie point of view that not allowing partial deletes reduces the problem of disk fragmentation, and over time eventual reduction in the storage capacity of the HD.

What's missing from the Panasonic E85? Apart from compatibility with other peoples machines!
    Edit: And the usual DVB decoder issue. :smoke:

Steve.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Nothing is missing from the Panasonic E85 - it has component output, progressive scan, DVD-Audio support and better recording quality over and above the Pioneer! The only feature it lacks is DVD-RW - the use of which is somewhat subjective. The authoring options are less on the Panasonic but that keeps the recorder simple to use. The fact is if you want to author with highly personnalised menus on a HDD/DVDR you'd get the Toshiba anyway!

Except for the fact it writes to DVD-R which plays on virtually ALL DVD players. Which is the media your going to be using for the most part (unless you author on a PC in which case it doesn't really matter which re-writeable format you have).

6. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is missing from the Panasonic E85 compared to the Pioneer:

- No DV in/out (yes, I know the top of the range E95 has it)
    - No jpeg/vcd/svcd (on cd) compability (why? it´s virtually impossible to buy a standalone-player without jpeg-compability no matter how cheap it is - and Panasonics dvd-players can do it too)
    - No compatible discs (only ram - yes I know they are grrreat, but you marry Panasonic if you want to use them elsewhere in the house/on the laptop/in the car...)
    - VCR-timer
    - No highspeed 16:9 dubbing (only in realtime)
    - Disc backup function
    - Slow menus compared to Pioneer (I´ve heard)
    - Grouping of recordings on HDD (nice-to-have)
    - Disc history (nice-to-have)
    - More dvd-menu options (nice-to-have)

7. Dan M

Dan M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I also had this JVC for a week. I found it to be slower compared to my Panasonic E95. Also a bigger unit itself. Mine had problems, constant crashing and keeping hold of discs. Found the Pany better put together but less impressive in terms of menu's. Also a big negative is the lack of multi-region and no RGB input (tried a top quality S-Video - just is not quite good enough)

8. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pannys play VCD.

Huh ??? :confused: All video, including anamorphic 16:9, is recorded in a 4:3 frame. The Pannys do not set the widescreen flag on either HS or normal dubbing to DVD-R so there's no difference between them wrt 16:9.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    ...and:

Except DVD-R of course which is the MOST compatible DVDR format recordings on which will play on virtually ALL DVD players.

The presence of which can be seen as a benefit to some.

..but considerbly less than the Toshiba which is the real machine you should consider if you want such things.

10. Juicemaker

Juicemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to thank everybody for responding......I defenitly NOT gonna buy this machine.....I actually can't belive that someone is releasing a machine with inbuilt HD with Inability to edit programs on the HD.....unfu****g believable...I think I go for the Panasonic..... :thumbsup:

11. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have got the manual on pdf as this is exactly the machine for me and had it on order for a few days.

Regards

12. ChrisOB

ChrisOB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been in contact with a few online retailers who say they are having more returns of the JVC model that they's like. At least one reseller has withdrawn it from sale due to reliability problems. Pity really as features per £ it looked so much better than the Panasonic 85, which I'm now opting for.

13. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Like all things one persons dvd recorder heaven is anothers hell!!

It seems a lot of people return kit because it doesnt do what they want it to do and maybe making up a little white lies in the process, but seeing how firms websites have very little useful info on their products im not surprised this happens. . recently I have been trying to get some info from LG on a home Cinema system and its like trying to get blood out of a stone. And when you do manage to get a manual it rarely explains in english what features do.

I have contacted 5 retailers about the above , (one twice and they gave different info) about reliabality and not one said its poor.. I mean what shop stocks a £500 machine and then tells me people dont buy it.. its crap.

I have read reviews both good and bad and the manual isnt to bad so like I said.. you pays your money and takes your choice.

People slag of Phillips tvs.. I have 2 widescreen .. one IDTV and they are both brillliant.. the pictures are stunning also when using svhs .rgb.

But ive been lucky so far.. touch wood never had a duff bit of kit in 20 years so that means im probably heading for meltdown!!

Regards

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    From my experience on this board it's not that the kit doesn't do what they want it to - they are just not willing to read the manual to find out.

For example all the talk on this thread of the JVC not being able to edit on the HDD is incorrect. What it should read is it doesn't have 'destructive editting' on the HDD (partial erase to Panasonic users!) but you can still achieve editting by using Playlists! Ironically the Toshiba RDXS32, one the best current HDD/DVDR combo, suggests you edit in exactly this manner to avoid HDD fragmentation- the only difference is the JVC doesn't give you choice.

Another example is the post made a week or so back by the owner of a Panasonic E65 who took it back because it didn't record DV to DVD-R (when actually it does).

People who :rtfm: normally end up finding out how they can do A, B and C. And people who don't normally whinge because they haven't been able to work it out. The manuals/user guides are not nearly as useless as somepeople make out IMHO.

15. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    With the exception of the Toshiba, it is a useless manual, worth reading only for the bad translations from japanese to English. It could have been written in 2 sentances.

"Use the 4 main menus, if you cant find the option you want click quick menu. If it isnt there, you cant do it."

16. BlueScreen

BlueScreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If you edit with the Playlist you can't highspeed copy to dvd-r.

17. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

True not all manuals r bad ( except Philips!!) .perhaps a bit over zealous there, but when you do get a badly translated one it certainly brings out the rages!! Actually JVC arnt to bad but I wish they would provide a section explaining the effects of changing something rather than just telling you how to do something.. but thats a whole new thread!!

But getting back to the original point.. I think some kits get a reputation for being returned because of user problems rather than electronic ones and this puts doubt into peoples minds about purchasing.

I personaaly trawl the web visiting many companies local sites for a particular country.. I got the JVc manual from a Danish one.. use search engines that dont bring up nowt but kelkoo/pricerunner and the like. Check forums and thoroughly research as the kit is always available somewhere many months in advance.

Also I find that about 99% of critiscm is mainly down to user ignorance or as Rasczak
    says not bothering to fully investigate the manual. I mean in a Danish forum there was a big thread about the JVC being rubbish because the front lightwas too bright.

The joys of buying new kit.. better than you know what!!

Regards

Robin

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Which is a limitation of the DVD recorder in question. Partial erase (destructive editting) was available on the HS2 (for example) which also did not offer high speed dubbing to DVD-R. Some models can quite happily do high speed dubbing from playlist editted programmes to DVDR. It is a question of FEATURES...

Well having read through it myself I found it's meaning crystal clear even if badly written.