1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

JVC DR-M100: will it have the 'loading bug'?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bloomsburybill, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone yet have any comment to make about JVC's new DVD recorder, the DR-M100? This is the updated version of the DR-M10. As one of the unlucky DR-M10 users plagued by the DR-M10's infamous 'loading bug', I am anxious about taking the plunge and ordering the DR-M100, but on the other hand I have yet to find an alternative machine that fits the bill.

I am keen on using DVD-RW as my main disk type, as I still have lots of blank ones lying around, and plenty of films that I still want to watch recorded in this format. I would never be able to get on with the clunky editing on DVD+RWs, so I am certainly not impressed by Sony's much vaunted 'dual capability'. DVD-RAMs seemed quite expensive last time I looked (admittedly this was a while ago), but if I was going to go for dual capability I would take the JVC route of DVD-RW and DVD-RAM.

I need an i.link, for DV input from my camcorder. However, I am swimming against the tide in that I do NOT want a hard drive in my DVD recorder. This is because I have a hard drive in my Freeview box, which is my main source, and this is much more convenient because when you are looking through the EPG to find out what is on, you can just press a button and the machine will record it; no need to insert disks, check recording times, check correct input is selected etc.

With these constraints I have looked at the following options:

The Pioneer DVR320 looked promising, but has been discontinued. Probably I could still get hold of one somewhere, but in any case, it did not have component video output (and hence no progressive scan).

The release of the new Sony GX210 has been marred by a fault with the RGB input, as covered elsewhere in this forum. I assume that this will be sorted out soon, but it has other limitations. It is very limited in recording lengths for DVD-RWs (i.e. nothing between 2 and 4 hours) and cannot do 'synchro edit' (i.e. start recording automatically when an external source turns itself on by timer). Also it cannot do chasing playback, although this is not a major problem for me. Finally, editing is not very clean on this machine. If you put an edit mark in one place, the actual edit is done in a slightly different place, and there is no preview of the edit to let you check it. When you play it back, there is a freeze for a moment at the editing point which is ugly.

The Sony GX700 has also been discontinued and does not play jpegs from CD-R. Also I suspect it would have similar problems to the GX210 when it comes to editing. (On the other hand I believe the Sonys both give very good pictures when you play commercial DVDs.)

All of this makes the new DR-M100 look potentially attractive. I would like to have RGB input, and in many threads others have complained that the old JVC DR-M10 did not accept an RGB input, which puzzles me as the manual clearly says, on p. 18, that line 1 CAN accept RGB input(see http://www.jvc.co.uk/files/instruction_manual/lpt0901-001b.pdf ). Anyway, JVC tell me that the DR-M100 will have RGB input into one of the SCARTs (but I am not accepting this as gospel...).

The DR-M100 doesn't appear to have any of the other limitations alluded to above, and in particular editing on DVD-RWs seems very clean. Admittedly the D/A converter is only 10 bit (rather than 12 bit in Sony machines), but the DR-M10 seemed to me to give a very good picture, and I would imagine that the DR-M100 will be at least as good.

Given that the 'loading bug' was widespread amongst DR-M10s, and worryingly sometimes took many months to declare itself, I would not even consider getting another one of these, in spite of its excellent functions. JVC tell me that this problem has been addressed and that the DR-M100 will not be affected, but then they would say that wouldn't they?

Does anyone yet have experience with the DR-M100? Are there any experts out there who are prepared to speculate as to whether this machine could also end up being plagued by the 'loading bug'? Is there another obvious choice of machine that I have not considered (Toshiba, Liteon...)? Any comments gratefully received!

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    You won't find anyone with any experience of the DR-M100. It hasn't been released yet. It is a completely different design to the DR-M10.

The modification for the DR-M10, if done correctly, was 100% effective. The slight problem was that it used "LOADING" as a general error message so just about any fault showed that error. That gave the impression that the fault was more widespread than it was.

3. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the posting. I guess that you must be right. Although DR-M100 is listed on several web sites now (boots.com, cheapelectricals.co.uk, unbeatable.co.uk, empiredirect.co.uk, askdirect.co.uk...), whenever you ring anyone they cite a delay of 3 weeks or so. I thought maybe there might be some Americans reading who might have experience with the machine over there.

I am reassured by your comment that the DR-M100 is a 'completely different design': the more distant the relationship with the DR-M10 the better as far as I am concerned. The JVC customer service line described the DR-M100 as an updated version of the DR-M10, with a few extra bells and whistles (although unfortunately losing the optical digital audio output along the way). But this was the same man who told me that the DR-M100 has been released and should be readily available in the shops! Perhaps he is not quite as well-informed as I had assumed that he would be.

There does seem to have been a widespread experience of DR-M10s recovering after repair, judging from threads in various forums, although I would be interested to know how you know that it was 100% effective. Is this information in the public domain?

Possibly the fault in my own DR-M10 was a little different from the usual 'loading bug'. I was never aware of the 'green streaks' in the picture which were often the precursor to this fault. On the other hand, over the course of 3 attempted repairs, my machine gradually went into 'loading' more and more frequently, loud white noise appeared on the auditory channel sent to the TV through the line 1 SCART (although as expected not on the digital sound output), the i.link stopped working, then it stopped going into 'loading' but entirely stopped recognising DVD-RWs, although still intermittently playing commercial DVD videos. The best interpretation, from my point of view, would be that it was simply being looked at by an incompetent technician. I suppose it is possible that there was a cascade of accumulated software errors, each one leading to the next. The worst interpretation, in terms of my confidence in JVC, would however be that many of the components are cheap and have short lives, and that these were all failing one by one, producing the series of apparently unrelated failures. It's the last possibility that worries me. If this was true of the DR-M10, why should the DR-M100 be any different?

4. JohnW14

JohnW14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had my first DR M10 changed for the green streaks/loading, my second worked well for about about 10 months.

Then progressively more often it would display Loading and require the power to be cut to reset.

I eventually discovered the problem was that it was overheating. I have changed the settings so the fan is on constantly (i.e. setting L2 to DECODER) and in the last two months (touch wood) it hasn't crashed once.

5. Jamesy2004

Jamesy2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, Thats an interesting answer to y it may do it. Just simply over heating. I was lucky and the store (shopathills.co.uk) replaced mine for the Hard drive version. Even tho they didnt have to. the one they gave me had faults as listed but on my 3rd dvd rec. 2nd DR-MH20. Its been ok! So far! (about 1 month).

6. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, in spite of what I have read here, I have decided not to wait for the DR-M100, but rather shop around for an old Sony RDR GX700 (now discontinued but still available with some dealers). Most people seem to have been pretty impressed with this machine.

I have been partly motivated by the lack of information about the release date of the DR-M100. However, I will admit that my confidence in JVC machines has been dented by the DR-M10 story. If they allowed this machine past their quality control, who is to say what new problems with the DR-M100 might have escaped their notice. One plan of action would be to wait and see until the DR-M100 has been around for a few months and see what the general experience is. But by then, the new Pioneer machines will have been released, and as these will have component video output they may be hard to beat. Anyway, I haven't the patience....