1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jvc Dr-m10?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pjskel, Oct 18, 2004.

1. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Anyone using or seen the results of using a JVC DR-M10 DVD Recorder?
    I was initally leaning towards either a Sony GX3 or Panny E55, but since reading various reviews and some of the posts here, I'm not so sure about either, and in my other thread, the JVC was mentioned.
    Bottom line - is there that much to choose between the various brands' encoders, or is it a case of spliting hairs?

Most recordings will be watcha and wipe, and 2-3 hours per disc, so no need to worry about the lowest quality setting on each of the machines.

If I do go down the RAM route - where is the cheapest for good quality discs (single & double sided) and the caddies?

Thanks guys

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you're going to watch and wipe then RAM (E55) is the best bet. Its much easier to use in that if you wipe part of a disc you can reuse it without worrying about fragmentation etc, its like having a small hard disk. They also allow many more erase write cycles.

The downside is for sharing with friends as RAM probably won't play on their machine and you would have to use a once write -R. If this is a problem -RW would be the best bet.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Thanks bobcar - yeah, the disk side of things is sort of taken care of, I'm only more concerned with the recording quality.
    I know there's a lot of Panny users here, but I can't help feeling a number have bought purely on recommendation or because it's the main name bandied about the place.
    If their encoders ARE that much better than the other brands, then I would be surprised as well as join the bandwagon, but I find it hard to believe that'd be the case as surely the chips are produced by another company, which means more than Panny are using the same chips in their boxes.

Anyhow, hopefully a few JVC users can shed light on the subject.

My other concern is that as we use NTL analog, we'll negate any benefits until such time as we move up to NTL digital.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    JVC is great but lacks the RGB input so critical for time shiftiinr Sky (standard digibox) and Cable boxes.... Other wise it is better specced than the panny and would work as a great archive unit for Camcorder iLink footage and FV (suitable Box) or SKY+ or Pace Twin or any other box with S-video output JVC DR-M10 is more like a Panny E65 feature wise than the E55
    JVC Disc compatibility is also excellent...

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    So, let me get this straight - why do I NEED RGB to timeshift record?
    Is timeshift the timelapse (or "pause" live TV) thing?
    What do I lose by using the RF input?
    I presume I can watch what I'm recording via the RF in/out to the TV?
    I'll be using the SCART for playback on the TV of recorded and pre-recorded stuff.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    WOA........................ if you are even considering using RF connection to view a source..... GIVE it up stick to VHS and save the cash!

7. JohnW14

JohnW14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The JVC only has an RF loopthrough. It will not output whatever is playing on the disc (or being recorded from the DRM10 tuner) through the RF cable.

I have one and, reliability issues aside, it is a great machine. Is a little bit fussy on media but use branded stuff and it seems fine.

It has a great selection of FR modes and there seem to be no sudden drops in quality as you get past FR150, though FR360-FR420-FR480 do as you'd expect have noticeable drops.

In your original post you asked about DVD RAM in caddies: it will not accept them. They must be removed from the caddies and the plain disc placed in the machine.

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    So, how do you rate the recording quality via RF in SP mode (anything up to 2 hours) versus a VCR doing the same?
    I record a lot of TV shows this way on a half decent LG VCR, and can't really complain. It looks good enough for us - but obviously, the convenience of playing and recording on to DVDs appeals due to lack of dirty heads and tape stretch, plus instant playback, rather than rewind/fast forward 'til you get the start of it.

HD - I appreciate your advice on saving my money, but it's the missus who fancies going this way, and in time, NTL will become digital for us, and I'm sure the TV will be upgraded to either an LCD or decent CRT based one. I'm interested in the JVC models, esp. DIST and Sharp for their LCDs.

Small room prevents Plasma being a reality, at least 42". The telly is only 28".

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    recording from analogue broadcasts will be fine better than VCR. I thought you meant tune the DVDR into an ntl channel and use that to record..... even analogue ntl boxes have scart dont they????????
    If you have analogue cable ( please upgrade to digital ASAP) that has scart use scart and run ntl via DVDR that way you can use the live pause function of RAM discs. JVC do some very nice package deals on TV's with DVD recorders so if an upgrade is on the cards look at a package deal and save a few quid.

10. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Not my one - still the threaded co-ax.
    So, I can't use the "pause" live TV on a RAM disc unless the SCART in is used?
    Surely any input used will be able to make use of the timelapse feature?

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    possibly you can if you tune in cable as channel 6 etc thatn way i would have hoped you could, you will have to check but i ampretty sure you can pause via DVDr intenal anaolgue tuner.......... AND for Gods Sake man upgrade............ analogue cable looks crap on any TV.....

12. JohnW14

JohnW14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Confirm you can time-slip from the internal tuner.

My VCR was purchased in about 1988 and is appalling quality, so even the FR480 (8 hours per disc) is an improvement. I have a fuzzy analogue signal so most of my recordings are from freeview, but if using the internal tuner and SP mode, the results are reasonably similar to the broadcast quality that I receive.

13. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124

Isn't that how you'ree supposed to do it? Channel 6 on the DVDR/VCR tuner records the output of the cable box.

If only I could justify the money each month for NTL Digital AND 750K Broadband! Remember, one man's crap is another's acceptable.
    Remeber it is ONLY a 28" LG (£300) TV - not a 32" JVC LCD with DIST - that's next Xmas's present to ourselves!! :smashin:

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not with digital cable your not......................

15. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    No, obviously if the SCART input socket is used with digital, then you'd select AV whatever that corresponds with that connection in the timer section.

Actually, upon further reflection, I don't follow what you're trying to say.....any chance you could type more than one cryptic sentence so as I and others reading this thread CAN comprehend what exactly you are trying to get across!

Cheers. :smashin:

16. GrendelKhan

GrendelKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit late probably to be giving advice. Bought my Drm10 yesterday and sofar have been able to tune in to my anologue NTL box without a problem.

The quality of the recorded image is great. Its a vast improvement(gross understatement) on VHS.

Yes you can timeslip with RAM disks. Great facility

I'm sure the quality would be substancially better with a digital input. But for my use its great.

Hope this helps.

17. GrendelKhan

GrendelKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just saw a thread on the forums describing what seemed to be a common problem with the player. Green strips across the screen.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138566

Is this still a problem on newly bought players or is this something i've got to look forward to.

18. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    That's exactly what I was looking for.
    Can't beat real world results - better than theoreticals!!
    How much and where did you get yours for and from?

That link in your second post relates to a multi-region hack request, nothing about green lines - can you elaborate please?

19. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want top quality recordings from a digital source (when you eventually get NTL Digital) then go for the Panasonic and yes there really is a difference between the different brands. It is well recognised that the Panasonic has the best picture from recordings, I have had 2 Philips and I thought that the picture on them was good until I seen the Panny, talk about perfect, unable to tell the difference between broadcast and copy. I also had a Hitachi for a few days and boy was the PQ on that one crap, even in XP mode. The JVC are well regarded and reviewers seem to like them except for one thing, no RGB input and to be honest without that you are loosing a lot in PQ.

20. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Thanks Bosco - whilst I know how well regarded Pannys are, I've made my mind up to go the JVC route, as I'll probably get their LCD TV next year. If I don't, and I put things on hold for a while, then the HDD based ones will have reduced significantly, and Hi-Def will be more widespread and worthy of investing in a proper setup.
    This purchase is a stepping stone onto something "better" further down the line.
    That and I like that JVC have made theirs -RW as well as RAM.

21. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Just ordered a nice black DR-M10 from Highway Hi-Fi for £190 + £15 delivery. Don't I just love living in Belfast? - shafted every which way by postage charges!!
    Still, will let you all know what it looks like and how it performs just need to get a few RAM discs from Maplin Electronics now.

22. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Hi all.
    Well, picked the package up yesterday evening from the local ParcelForce office/depot/thingy and only managed (bothered) to set it up this morning at 6:30 am before heading off to work.
    Jobs got cancelled, so returned home and grabbed a RAM disc from Richer Sounds.
    Recorded a program this afternoon on E4 - pretty good it was too - in SP mode.
    Suffice it to say, with an analog signal from the NTL box, I was unable to detect any differences between it and that of the broadcast which I watch for 10 mins or so, before doing the Timeslip® thing.
    Bottomline - bloody fantastic, and now glad I've joined the band of merry men and women of DVDRland!
    As I've only been able to see and use this one brand and model, I'll leave it to others to conjecture as to the differences between them all, but for me, the JVC DR-M10 was the right decision.
    I'll take others word that RGB in on a SCART from a digital receiver is better, but as that's not happening for a while yet, then analog having served me so well up 'til no, will do so for a good bit longer with the advent of DVDR in the form of this JVC unit.

Only minor criticism would be the lack of a dedicated CANCEL button on the remote or the display in some menus, but after a few days of use, I'll probably know what to do more instinctively, and it'll not be an issue as such.
    I'm recording the West Wing in XP mode this evening - I doubt it'll be any better looking than SP, and if so, then I'll be pleased as I'll be able to record things in SP or LP that'll be as close as I'm getting on the TV directly with the NTL box.

So, to all you Panny users, sorry I didn't join your gang, but then the JVC one is just as cool a one to have joined!! ;)