JVC DR-M10 DVD recorder - whos ownes one?

S

Shepski

Hiya,

I am seriously considering dumping off my panny dmr-e55 and replacing it with the JVC for the following reason:

Panny is slooooooooooow, takes a good 20 seconds just to power on, the cd draw eject seems to be controlled by a jamaican smoking some pot and then it takes another 20 seconds or so for it to decide what sort of disc it now has in it, then ANOTHER 20 seconds to play the dam thing! It only has optical out which is another ball ache as I don't have enough optical ins on my amp so had to buy an optical --> coax converter which is far from ideal. Since getting the panny I find its causing lipsync problems when viewing sky thru it, never happended on my Pioneer player, sky is fine if I go direct to the telly. It wont even play VCDs which is another pain as I convert my camcorder to this format. There are some other niggles but I am really fed up with it and can't see me lasting much longer with it so better to sell it soon than end up with a smoldering pile of twisted metal courtesy of Mr Hammer and a size 11 boot!

Soooo....the jvc stands out as it has dvd-ram PLUS it can play VCDs. It has component output, twin SCARTS (Albeit none RGB thru) but thats not really a major concern to me as I sky+ box is connected from RGB direct to telly and VCR SCART to recorder, I could always buy an RGB --> S-Vid converter if I really wanted but not really bothered at this time.

My question is tho, to users who have one, is it like the panny in anyway eg. slow to power on, slow to load etc.

Also, does anyone know of any reviews on this product as I have had no joy in finding any as yet.

Appreciate any input people can give on this

PS. Anyone want to buy a 3 month old e55? :)

The only things going against the JVC model is that it lacks RGB input and can't take DVD-RAMs in caddies. Features wise, in every other way, the JVC is better. Playback quality is fairly similar between the two machines.

A word of caution if you are considering PC editting/authoring of your recordings though. The majority of VR capable PC authoring programmes (such as TMPG Enc Author) will only accept 'official' VR format recording resolutions. I believe the JVC uses some custom resolutions to give a better Picture Quality for lengths between 2hrs and 4hrs in length. Now I have never tried this with the JVC so don't know whether there are easy work arounds (like turning this option Off) - perhaps Markie can help? Whatever if you don't intend to put more than 2hrs onto a DVD (I try to put never more than 90mins on personnally) or you don't want to author on a PC then this is totally irrelevant.

Rasczak said:
The only things going against the JVC model is that it lacks RGB input and can't take DVD-RAMs in caddies. Features wise, in every other way, the JVC is better. Playback quality is fairly similar between the two machines.

A word of caution if you are considering PC editting/authoring of your recordings though. The majority of VR capable PC authoring programmes (such as TMPG Enc Author) will only accept 'official' VR format recording resolutions. I believe the JVC uses some custom resolutions to give a better Picture Quality for lengths between 2hrs and 4hrs in length. Now I have never tried this with the JVC so don't know whether there are easy work arounds (like turning this option Off) - perhaps Markie can help? Whatever if you don't intend to put more than 2hrs onto a DVD (I try to put never more than 90mins on personnally) or you don't want to author on a PC then this is totally irrelevant.

If its like the DRM1 then this is correct.

Up to 2.5hrs it was fine then it used so odd resolutions up to LP (4hr) which TMPG author wouldn't take. The resolutions are OK and give a better picture I suppose, but then are not DVD standard.

On a plus it can write -VR to -RW discs so you can edit but the Tosh can only do normal DVD formats.

On the DRM1 there was no option to turn it off as there were very little options to do anything.

Looking at the DRM10 manual I think it is very simular

I've owned a DR-M10 since about April and all in all am not much impressed. It was my first DVD recorder, so perhaps I'm expecting too much, but . . .

I use the past tense because I have returned it to the retailer and am hoping for a replacement rather than a repair. Fat chance me thinks.

The fault occured as follows:

Recently, whenever a menu was displayed on screen, green horizontal flashes would appear. These have progressively got worse, until the time came when there was no visible picture at all. To prove it was not the cabling or the TV, it recorded these green flashes onto the DVDs.

Often the machine would freeze and a minute or so later would re-set itself. Problem was it took upwards of 20 minutes flashing LOADING before settling down into a useable mode.

Sometimes it would stop recording for no particular reason in the middle of a programme and do the above LOADING trick.

Because of all the above I have returned it (and as it's three months old, I have to allow the retailer to attempt a repair first). I will keep you posted on what comes back.

Onto the other issues raised: As for speed of loading discs, compared to VCR it is slow, particularly with RAM discs. When a disc is stopped, it is slow to permit any other action. Any writing to the disc is slow.

There have been further niggles with the machine also:
(a) the Progressive scan won't work. JVC assure me the fault is with my TV. Toshiba assure me the fault is with the DVD. Who to believe?
(b) the TV-Link refuses to work. See above comment for passing the buck between JVC and Tosh.

On the plus side, the menus are very easy to use, the editing facility is simplicity itself (if only Channel 5 would learn to put better cuts into the broadcast) adn the picture quality up to about 2.5 hours is very good. 3 hours is starting to look poor and 4 and below is, in my opinion, not worth watching.

Would be interested to hear if any other DR-M10 owners have suffered any of the above.

In case you are interested, QVC UK are offering this model as their Todays Special value at a price of £258.48 plus P&P until midnight tonight.

Even if you don't buy it from them, it might be worth tuning in to one of their demonstrations to see if you like what you see.

Joolze

JohnW14, I had exactly the same problem with DRM10, I returned my unit after approxiamlty 2 months, although I had reported the problem within the first month of ownership.

After 1 month JVC had been unable to repair the unit and when I complained I was sent a new unit, which so far has functioned fine (just over a month)

I was told by the supplier that they had had many problems along the same lines an thus it was a known fault.

I bought a DRM-10 in March, it has now developed the LOADING fault and freezes. Peter Tyson says "they are all doing it" and they are replacing them with Pioneer or Panasonic models. I went for the Pioneer-320-s.

markie said:
Well, I've just bought one and I'm pleased with it. Got a multiregion version for £223 from RGB, which is pretty good, considering comet are charging £349 !! The menus are well laid out and not confusing. It loads the disks in a few seconds and records well, seems to be quicker on DVD-Ram than DV-RW disks. The only thing I could knock it for is the fan which is a bit loud. It's played all the disks I've got and, important for me, plays NTSC disks on a pal TV as it's got a converter. It also displays hello and goodbye, when you power it up and off !! I would have bought the Panasonic DR55, but it had no DVin, which the JVC does to record digital camcorder recordings. I do think you get more for your money with the JVC and I'm pleased with it. Have not delved into all its capabilities - probably won't in any case - but for just playing and recording it seems fine. Plays good in long play mode (4 hours) and pretty good in xp mode (6 hours). I think the unit has had reviews, but it is the DRM1, which is a similar machine. Try homecinemachoice.com for that, it gave it 4.5/5 and was voted 'best buy'. You can download the manual from jvc.co.uk. It also includes a scart lead (many don't) and a sat control device, to control a satellite digital box, although can't get that to work with my grundig sky digi box. CAN ANYONE HELP? I don't think you'd regret it, but can't compare it to the panasonic, as I haven't had one ! Hope this helps a bit..

Is that blue light always on (can it be turned off?) - can't work out whether it's cool or a distraction?

Also, I have an E55, but I'm wondering whether going for -RW might be a better option. I never use the RAM as my family and friends players can't read them.

Also, can you change the thumbnails prior to finalising?

I like the E55 for it's simplicity - the pdf instuctions on the JVC seem to be rocket science.

Please advise quickly as I'm going back to Comet for either a new Panny (couldn't repair current one) or JVC DMR10

You can turn off the blue light.

I think you can even dim it, but this also has an effect on the display brightness. Can't remember exactly as I don't have the instructions with me.

Blood said:
I bought a DRM-10 in March, it has now developed the LOADING fault and freezes. Peter Tyson says "they are all doing it" and they are replacing them with Pioneer or Panasonic models. I went for the Pioneer-320-s.

This has now been sorted. All new DR-M10s are OK. Dealers have a fix available for any older ones that show the fault.

I've had similar problems with my DRM10 to those mentioned above - green streaking lines across the picture whilst recording from any source eventually leading to total lockup/failure. This was after three months!
Had it back from Digital Direct for a couple of weeks now and it seems OK although apparent failure rate on this model seems a little worrying doesn't it.

Yep I have had 2 DRM-10's first one went back within 2 weeks, leave it alone Shepski, I returned both mine with the same problems, JVC are aware of the faults and are trying to find a fix, I also had bother trying to get a full refund after the problems started on the 2nd one 3 months after replacement

tony1oc said:
... I returned both mine with the same problems, JVC are aware of the faults and are trying to find a fix,...

As I mentioned in my earlier post, a cure for this is now available. Dealers can get it from JVC.

GaryB said:
As I mentioned in my earlier post, a cure for this is now available. Dealers can get it from JVC.

GaryB this contradicts what I am being told by my retailer. See my earlier post for a description of the fault on my unit, which appears identical to everyone else's.

I am told the unit was sent to JVC as soon as I returned it (mid to late July) but that to date JVC have been unable to fix the problem. They have tried software fixes (firmware updates?) but these have not worked and concluded it is a hardware fault.

As soon as they have stock in I will have one, which is meant to be early this week. Needless to say, it is now Thursday and nothing has arrived. :censored:

This might help some owners of DRM10's with noisy fans. Mine had that problem so I thought I would take a look inside, but when I turned the screw on the back, next to the fan, it became wisper quiet.

JohnW14 said:
GaryB this contradicts what I am being told by my retailer. See my earlier post for a description of the fault on my unit, which appears identical to everyone else's.

I am told the unit was sent to JVC as soon as I returned it (mid to late July) but that to date JVC have been unable to fix the problem. They have tried software fixes (firmware updates?) but these have not worked and concluded it is a hardware fault.

The cure wasn't available in July but it is now. It's been available for a few weeks and is now on the JVC Dealer Website. It's a simple fix, just the addition of a resistor. There have never been any software fixes for this.

Just picked up on this thread and particularly the post about problems that forced a return of the product. I've just encountered similar problems (green streaks across the screen even on pre-recorded commercial DVDs, machine hangs and flashes "Loading" at you and doesn't let you do anything else, failed or frozen recordings etc.

So there's at least two people with this problem - any more? If so was it resolved by a repair?

Aside from that I had been pleased with the device. Annoyingly slow to ready a disc on insert and when a recording finishes. Probably only 10 seconds or so but seems like a long time when you're waiting. However no long waits formatting or finalising as I've read with some devices. Format takes 1 minute and finalising never more than 3 mins regardless of what's on the disc. Un finalised -VR material on say -RAM or -RW can be read on a PC although some software doesn't like the VRO resolutions used (seen as non standard).

IR control of a cable/digital/satellite STB is neat. Bought it mainly as it had -RW, -R and -RAM support and DV-IN for a camcorder.

Of course now got to see how quick I can get the problem fixed
Andy

Hi,
anyone with the problem fixed? My M10 started 2 days ago to present the same symptoms unfortunately :rolleyes:

As I said previously my unit was replaced as I had the green lines and loading display. The replacement unit has not displayed this problem since.

hi, i am taking mine back today, if you put a writable dvd disc in and start it recording on the night, when you get up the next morning the unit has frozen, it has the loading and the blue light flashing. also it cant be turned of only unplugged for half hour. when switched back on you can get the disc out but nothing will read it.
waste of £250
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rasczak said:

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread. My only remaining interest in the DR-M10 is that this is the model on which JVC are going to base their DR-M100. Whether the DR-M100 will be susceptible to the infamous loading error remains to be seen: I don't know whether anyone else has a comment about the likelihood of the problem occurring in the new machine. I must admit that after three failred attempts at repairing my DR-M10 it had to go back for good, which was a shame because during the few weeks that it worked we were very pleased with it. Because of this, I can't help suspecting that the problem was more severe than a couple of dodgy resistors, as has been claimed elsewhere.

My question is this: is everyone sure that the DR-M10 couldn't accept an RGB input into line 1? According to p. 18 of the manual, it can (see www.jvc.co.uk/files/instruction_manual/lpt0901-001b.pdf). I didn't try it whilst I had the machine.

GaryB said:
BALLS thats what i say to that.
my drm10 has been sent back 5 times with this fault,the last time i got it back, hey presto a new fault. the new fault is :mad: when you pause or fast forward or rewind ,slow mo the pic judders like crazy.
When it works it is greet :clap: that is when it works :suicide:

Help. I've got the same problem with my DRM1. :mad:

I purchased through MultizoneDVD and they have not been a great help - I think it was purchased over 1 year ago. (I wanted to confirm with them but they have no electronic records of purchases and would have to go through their archives and charge me - they aren't particularly helpful). So I suspect I am out of warranty.

:lease: Any ideas? Is this resistor fix an easy one I can DIY?

Cheers

Nice one,

Cyril

cyril_lesley said:
Help. I've got the same problem with my DRM1. :mad:

I purchased through MultizoneDVD and they have not been a great help - I think it was purchased over 1 year ago. (I wanted to confirm with them but they have no electronic records of purchases and would have to go through their archives and charge me - they aren't particularly helpful). So I suspect I am out of warranty.

:lease: Any ideas? Is this resistor fix an easy one I can DIY?

Cheers

Nice one,

Cyril

If it's a DR-M1 then the modification doesn't apply. If it's showing "LOADING" then it's a "normal" fault, not anything that can be fixed with a modification.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom