JVC DR-M1 Recording Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Simon6776, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Folks,

My JVC DR-M1 has failed on four occasions now, to make timer recordings. I have set the timer correctly, using Video Plus, there is enough disc space available (new disc), but what happens is, the DVDR switches on to record, then the blue light flashes on and off, and the display says 'READING', also flashing, for about 30 seconds. The machine then goes back into standby mode, and records nothing. Once this has happened, I can usually restart the recording manually (if I'm here), but on one occasion, recording would not start, and the disc would not even finalise, even though there was previously recorded stuff on it. I'm using TDK DVD-RWs.

Any help appreciated.

2. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Insert the disc and check the remaining recording time. I have seen one display say 25mins remaining but another saying 0 time left.

Something had happen to the machine while it was recording and hence didn't save all the required info.

I've had a few disc that *crash* half way and then get into this state. I have found that the discs are unreliable.

This could be your problem. Try a manual record or reformat the disc you had a problem on and you may find it won't even do a manual record on it.

I've said this before but the JVC is funny about discs, RAM discs in particular.

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for replying. :)

It actually did it this afternoon, while recording Countdown (for testing purposes *cough*) :D but not until the very end of the recording, and it displayed a message, which isn't in the instructions, saying "Some parts of the disc were not recordable. Some parts of the recording have not been made". Not sure if that was the precise wording, but it's near enough. This time, however, the recording did appear to be complete. I will check the discs carefully, to make sure there's no fingermarks on them before I use them, and see how it goes.

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Are you recording with PDC set to on?

Regards

Philip

5. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Philip,

No, I record from a digibox, so PDC is not set.

6. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its the brand of disc you are recording on then.

I have seen this message once and it too was on a disc that failed and re-formated.

I was using Bulkpaq Blue 1X but they are so unrealibe.

I examined mine that failed under a bright light and found that even the smalest piece of anything will give a failure.

If you have a PC try burning a film to that disc, you will find that about half way the picture brakes up so badly its unwatchable. But the PC burn will say it was OK. Play back on anything else will be the same.

I've had this on about 7 disc out of the pack of 25, another 8 wouldn't work on the PC. I email Bulkpaq to give them an oportunaty to refute my claim that these disc are crap. No responce.

On the other hand Bulkpaq Orange 2x that are manufactured by Ritek are good (on the JVC), work on the PC and even in my old Tosh player.

Have you tried any RAM discs yet???

Avoid Datasafe (RAM and -RW don't work on JVC)

Pansonic I'm told do work OK.

If you haven't used RAM discs yet check it out with a good quality one (Pansonic) I have discovered that mine won't play/Record on RAM disc as the machine is faulty.

Still waiting for the outcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I haven't tried any RAM discs yet, but the discs I am using are TDK RWs, which I would have thought to be good quality. I'll reformat one of the discs that failed, and record on it again to see what happens. It's possible that there were fingermarks on the discs from when I labelled them, so I can keep track of what I have recorded.

8. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My JVC had some trouble when it tried to record Frasier the other night. I was playing on the Xbox at the time :D so I was there and noticed what happened.

The blue LCD was flashing and the display panel said LOADING. Sticking my head down close I could hear the disc mechanism working away. It was a good couple of minutes before it sorted itself out and carried on recording as though nothing had happened.

I know a few people have had problems with theirs but until now mine has behaved perfectly, and [touch-wood] it's been fine since, so I hope it was a one-off - maybe I hadn't inserted the disc carefully enough into the tray.

9. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am now making certain each disc I use is spotlessly clean, so I'll see how it goes over the next few days, before I contact JVC.