1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC DR-M1 DVD RW Disc Problems?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Flashman, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have this machine, so far very pleased....except I am having problems with DVD-RW discs.

I have tried both Memorex and TDK brand discs, with both it seems to lock up and take forever to respond to either remote commands or buttons on the unit itself. I eventually have to eject the disc.

It won't even give me the on-screen menus. However, DVD-R & DVD films work fine. Is it the media I'm using or has anyone else had this problem?

I wanted to use the DVD-RW for use like a video. i.e repeated recordings off Sky and the like.

Any ideas?

2. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used Maxwell -RW and DVD-RAM discs without trouble. But don't bother with -RW unless you wish to share your discs with someone else. The time-slip function with DVD RAM is a blast!

I often watch programmes with a 30 sec delay just so I can pause it to go to the loo. And I am convinced that the played back quality is better than the original (I think there is some post processing in play back which cleans up the picture a bit).

3. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that Memorex discs don't work with any machine aa I have seen load of problems with them.

The JVC is fussy about 110% perfect discs. They have to be clean and scratch free (cheap brands) Real TDK should be OK, make sure it is clean. I had a problem with a Mirror disc because there was a very small piece of dust near the centre of the disc. This is examination under a bright light size small!!!

Avoid Datasafe DVD-Ram as I don't know of anyone that can get one to work in a JVC. They work once then never again. The only way is to format it on another machine then use it once. But don't take it out of the JVC before watching it or you'll never see what you have recorder. Very strange...

They work fine in Panasonic for some reason.

Also oddly enough things that don't work in Panasonic work fine in the JVC.

Of course Ritek dye is the most compatable for anything.

I have just got a pack of 10 Bulkpaq -RW for 7.50 but be carefull.

These are Ritek ones, orange in colour and 2X. Says manufactured by Ritek underneath the Bulkpaq name. (so far, so good - fingers crossed)

Bulkpaq also do some really awfull (and that's being kind) blue X1 -RW. They don't seem to won't to work most of the time, at 1X in either Pioneer PC Burner, PC reader, JVC or Tosh player.

But they are useally the only thing arround and cheap. I would say 75% work all the way through on the JVC others won't format or go blocky 1/2 way.

I tried a Datasafe -RW (green) aparently X2 but the Pioneer burner said it was only 1X (label says X2 in big and x1 in small print)

Did manage to burn at X2 but wouldn't play. Works 1/2 way through on JVC as well even when recorder on JVC.

Ordered Panasonic -RAM a couple of *weeks* ago but haven't turned up yet, (7dayshop)

BTW: Now I have my stock of BulkPaq Orange they are availbale at

Neo Games

Ordered 7:30am delivered about 10am next day.

EDIT: I knew something would happen, I just hope this is the only curse I've put got from this message.

The shop/discs have been reduced to 6.70 a pack of 10 the day after I got 20 of them!!!

4. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I use the datawrite dvd-rw and so far have had no problems with them.I wouldn't bother wasting your money on the datasafe dvd-ram discs as i had the same problem recorded once after i check it worked the first time.After that no matter what i tried the pic just broke up,tried to clean it reformat it and still the picture broke up.I have been advised to use a JVC DVD-ram disc.i have yet to try this yet as i find them hard to come by.

5. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll second the comment about RAM discs. If you're just looking for a video-recorder replacement and you don't need to use the disc in a 'normal' DVD player then definitely give a RAM disc a try.

As for brands, I've only used Panasonic RAM discs and so far trust them 100%. My dad mailed me a Panny RAM disc recorded on his E50 and it played perfectly on my JVC.

Despite the -RW capability being one of my buying reasons for the JVC, so far I have only been using the RAM discs I bought with the machine. They're great!

6. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Where is the cheapest place to buy the panasonic ram discs?I paid £6 for the datasafe ram disc.I might as well just thrown the money away.I don't want to make the same mistake again.

7. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem I had with the Datasafe Ram was after the first record the machine came up with disc error, I couldn't even reformat it. Got it formated on a Panasonic, tried again with same results.

I think the JVC RAM disc are actually Maxell ones.

Richer sounds sell them for the nice price of 9.99 each but I'm not that deperate.

Still waiting for the Panasonic ones to arrive......

8. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered mine from the 7dayshop

Good price but I have been waiting nearly 2 weeks for delivery (they were in stock) and haven't seen them yet.

I can get CD's from Hong Kong in 5 days but it takes 2 weeks from the Channel Isles!!

When they arrive (if!) I tell you if they are OK but if they don't work I think I will be tempted to return the machine. As that would be 11 different RAM discs of 3 differing makes that I'd had a problem with.

I really don't understand why there is such a problem with RAM?? The drive is a RAM recorder that can do -RW not the other way arround, yet there are only a few problems with -RW.

I've also seen Ridata RAM on a site but cost more than the Pansonic ones anyway.

The Mirror Ram is a bit hit or miss. Sometime it takes up to 4 inserts to get it read the disc.

BTW: Whats all that noise the drive makes for 30+ seconds just after inserting the disc???

9. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What brand was the RAM you brought with the machine.?

I've tried all the places I was going to buy the JVC from and they only sell machines not discs. I assumed (wrongly) that I'd get one in the box!

Then wasted money on a Datasafe one, took it back but could only get a replacement (another Datasafe) then borrowed a Mirror RAM.

Hence I still don't have a working RAM of my own, until these Panasonic one arrive.

10. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I made an emergency purchase of a pack of three RAM discs from Comet @ £30 :rolleyes: when I realised the unit came with no blank media :(

As I use the recorder for watch-n-wipe I haven't needed to buy more yet.

Try a search -- I know I've seen quite a few posts regarding media prices.

11. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The RAM discs I have are Panasonic 'for video'

The disc my dad used and sent me was a plain Panasonic data disc, which played fine.

12. toner_monkey

toner_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would throw in my 2 pennies worth. I bought 2 optodisc RAM discs(4.7Gb) and so far they have worked perfectly every time. I got them from "CDR-by-mail" however they don`t sell them now. I have just bought 2 Ridata RAM discs (9.4Gb) from them for £5.40 each, says they are for data but so far they have worked OK.

13. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well now I'm really p'ed off with JVC.

The Panasonic Ram disc arrived so I tried one out then the next, next...

None of them would load, I tried my Mirror disc and it wouldn't load. After 20 mins of inserting Ram disc it finally read the Mirror disc (about 17th time from one disc to another) it then read the Panasonic one.

I would say that Panasonic disc seem to work with the JVC it's just that my machine must be faulty.

I recorded something and tried the chase playback thing and it kept freezing. I stoped the recording and it was OK.

The next time I tried it locked completely then rebooted the machine.

If JVC had not penny picked an put a RAM disc in the box I would have discovered the machine was faulty and not spend a fortunte trying to get hold of Ram discs.

I've had the machine a month now and just discovered it won't reliable play any Ram discs.

I get a clunking noise when it tries to read a RAM disc, sometimes it takes up to 2 mins and still comes up with Disc Error...

14. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's bad news. Does sound like you got a faulty machine there :confused:

Hope you don't have too much hassle getting it replaced, and you should be able to use the discs eventually :rolleyes:

15. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    JDA, My JVC seems to be on it's way out as well....I've read the threads about disc media other forum users have posted and did intend trying some other brands, except that my machine won't do anything now.

It's always been a little slow to read discs (pre-recorded or blank), but now it just sits there saying reading disc with a blank screen, doesn't respond to any remote or unit button presses except open......Mmm, not best pleased.

It's had relatively little use as well. It will be going back soon.

16. JIM HARKNESS

JIM HARKNESS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My JVC DR-M1 has packed up as well. it seems that these recorders are not the most reliable ones on the market,surprising seeing that they are from Matsu****a the same brand as Panasonic.
    mine decided to keep powering off almost as if the mains plug had been pulled.
    Unplugging the mains and reconnecting brought it back to life for a few hours and it died again.
    It's been away a fortnight now and they don't seem to be able to tell me when it will be returned.
    it's only 6 weeks old so I think it's replace or money back time.
    Shame really because the machine has much potential

17. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you insist on a replacement it will probably be the new DR-M10 as JVC has no more stock of DR-M1, apparently.
    Maybe they have fixed a few things as well as adding a pretty blue light and a slightly different design of outer casing.
    Wonder if it will have an RGB input ? :cool:

18. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Got frustrated with mine and decided to (carefully) take the top off. Interestingly, the actual DVD drive unit is badged as Hitachi-LG......So much for JVC internals then.

Other than lots of dust in the case (I didn't want to fiddle with the drive itself) all seemed okay, plugs etc on boards fully seated etc.

Once reassembled, it seems to be working fine again and somewhat quicker at reading discs than when I first got it home and powered it up. Strange.

I will be keeping a close eye on it.

19. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine has crashed 5 times durring evening recording. At first I thought it was me.

The discs have 0:00 time remaining even when there shown be loads. Anything recorded on the disc is lost.

Twice last week I was recording something when the picture froze and the machine re-booted.

I thought it was the discs, so now I'm trying different ones.

The Pansonic RAM disc ONLY work if the machine is hot enough. I usually switch the whole lot of durring the day.

After two hours and about 30 hour recording on a -RW the RAMs work OK (well record and play back) although watching something while recording is difficult as it freezes (the final recording is OK).

Mine is now 4 weeks old and it has never worked correctly with RAM disc any ideas on the legal position on replacement.

20. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

This model has only been around a couple of months are they replacing it already???

I heard there was a H5 (HD version) on the way.

Looking for prices on the DRM-1 they seem to have gone up and less stores are stocking them.

21. johnhugh

johnhugh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just orderd the JVC from Amazon, I still have time to cancel it, so judging by the problems listed here with the machine, shall I cancel and wait for the updated version or go for the Sony?

john

22. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

1. Yes.
    2. Additional DVD Recorder / HD model on way.
    3. JVC ( UK ) have no more ( they say ). :cool:

www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=5522

23. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ]

Yes my unit has had this exact same problem and i am getting my money back after nearly 6 weeks in the repair shop and some very poor customer service from the retailer.

24. markyb555

markyb555
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hello people, :hiya:

im new and to be very honest, have been searching the net for problems very simlair to my jav dr-m1.. And it seems ive found it!

recently ive had the unit back to where i bought it from just under a year ago.. *comet* and at the time i was fortunate to get one as previously said they discontinued the dr-m1..

dvd-r's are a dodgle, really easy to burn.. ive recently used Sony imation and now on datawrite grey 8x which was bought from the net, as i just bought a pc dvd recorder. im also having no problems with panasonic's dvd-ram which work great and to be honest easier then messing with the rw's.

ive tried using maxwell dvd-rw and found them not to work at all.. at the time i thought that it could have been the media that was at fault so took it back and got a credit note.. i sent an email to a not very hastey jvc customer services and got an email saying to take it back the manufacture/company i bought it from as the unit is faulty.. the unit doesnt write dvd+rw and i had to make sure i hadnt used the wrong media..
    i had bought dvd-rw for sure and basically thought no more about the problem..
    the unit then started with power supply problems and its been back to be fixed,*unit kept turning off and on, losing the clock display*

after buy some more dvd-rw media online Vebatim 4x, i guessed these would work a treat being whats considered as "decent media" this was not the case and wouldnt format, play or bring up the navagation set up,

could this be a faulty unit or just crap on the disc as someone else pointed out? ive tried everything i can think of appart from taking it back a second time, *albeit within the 1 year manufactures warrenty*

the thing im most disappointed in is ive spent the best part of £10 *could have been more if i hadnt got the money back on the maxwells* on media i know it might not write/read from.. the only consilation is that the pc dvd recorder *LG 4160B* will take the media, and that im paying more for the RAM that really i shouldnt need to buy considering that the unit is supposed to be supported by both formats..

sorry that this post is nearly a year late, but i would like to see how poeple either got on or if it was a problem we had to live with?

thanks

25. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi markyb555 My unit was returned for a refund when the power supply problems started and I feel I had a lucky escape, strange thing was it would only ever lose power if a disc was left inside the drive I never really had a problem with any kind of media with the unit it even took cheap £1 DVD-RW, so it looks like your unit could have two faults if it is with in warranty I would be looking for a complete repair with in two weeks (reasonable period) or exchange, refund after all it is supposed to record onto DVD-RW and if Verbatim wont work on it I wouldn’t hold out much hope for any other brand of disc.

26. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Dear Oh Dear!! There was I about to go out and buy a JVC DR-MR1 this week when I came across this post. Pleased I did though for I am hoping that someone can tell me whether there has been any improvement in this model since the commencement of the first post or whether I should look for another machine comparable to the DR-MR! and, if so, what should it be. I am also confused at the various model numbers which are quoted e.g DR-MV1, DR-MV1S, DR-MV10S and DR-MV1BEK. I would appreciate all your help.

27. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As long as recording to DVD-RW is not to important to you a Panasonic DMRE55 would probably be a safe bet easy to use generally reliable and a very good machine to boot.

Richer sounds I believe are now doing Panasonics DMRE65 for £229 which has Ilink and memory card readers also, for around £229 which in my opinion is a bargain Multiregion http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PANA-DMRE65MR-SIL hope this helps.

28. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Dazzer, very much appreciate your reply which is very helpful to me for I am still trying to get my head round all these different formats etc. and Hanly is not too far away from me!

29. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    The DR-MV1 which is the model you're probably thinking of buying is completely different to the DR-M1 in the title of this thread.

Details are:

DR-M1 - JVC's first DVD recorder. Launched around 18 months ago and now discontinued.

DR-MV1 - DVD Recorder/VHS Combi. Still a current model.
    DR-MV1BEK - Black version of the DR-MV1

DR-M10 - JVC's current DVD recorder.

DR-MV7 - Same as DR-M10 but restyled slightly to match the QP-ES7 HC system.

Just to make the list complete:

DR-MH20 - HDD/DVD Recorder combi with 80Gb HDD.

DR-MH30 - HDD/DVD Recorder combi with 160Gb HDD.

DR-MX1 - 250Gb HDD/DVD Recorder/VHS Recorder combi. Not yet launched.

You may find some of the above quoted by some dealers with various suffixes, e.g. EK, EKS. Assuming they are sourced in the UK you can ignore all of these. They are all the same model. The only exception is the B on the end of the DR-MV1 which shows it is the black version.

30. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi Gary,
    Many thanks for your response. It has clarified things immensely for me - apart from also telling me that I need my eysight testing! I got totally confused with all the various models!