JVC DR-M1 Clock

Simon6776

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a JVC DR-M1, and I'm finding that the clock is not keeping accurate. I have Just Clock 'On' and set to BBC1, and have also tried it set to other channels, but the clock still gains as much as 15 seconds over a 48 hour period. Has anyone else noticed this, and is there any way round this problem, aside from resetting the clock manually every two days? I have a Sony VCR, another DVDR (Sony GX3), and have had other JVC VCRs, which all keep time, so it can't really be a problem with the Teletext signal.

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Simon6776
Hi folks,

I have a JVC DR-M1, and I'm finding that the clock is not keeping accurate. I have Just Clock 'On' and set to BBC1, and have also tried it set to other channels, but the clock still gains as much as 15 seconds over a 48 hour period. Has anyone else noticed this, and is there any way round this problem, aside from resetting the clock manually every two days? I have a Sony VCR, another DVDR (Sony GX3), and have had other JVC VCRs, which all keep time, so it can't really be a problem with the Teletext signal.

Thanks for any help.

The way I read the manual the Just clock should set the time every hour on the hour with a few exceptions.

It will not work when in timer or sat record mode and hence since my machine is nearly always in one of these mode except for when I watching I didn't bother that my clock waas getting a couple of mins out in a couple of days.

Looks like this is another problem but...

You could make sure your tv signal is good, I can get teletext when watching analogue TV on the JVC!!!

Also when you power down for more than 1 hour it loses the battery backup so should read the time from the text but I still have to set it manually. (clock is blank) so this doesn't work either!!

I've set it to BBC2 to see if theres any difference.

I can't say I've noticed this problem.

I've got my DVD recorder (JVC) and my video recorder (Panasonic) stacked on top of each other and the clocks are still almost exactly the same (there is a couple of seconds difference between the 59..00..01 tickover - no idea why, though they might read the time off different channels, I can't remember). Don't know exactly how long now but I know they've been untouched (clockwise) for months.

Mmmm... as I said, it's not just a couple of seconds over a few days with mine - it gains around 15 seconds in about 48 hours. All my other equipment with automatic clock adjustments work fine. I knew it wouldn't work on timer standby, as I previously had JVC VCRs which are the same. I have sat and watched this one as an 'on the hour' has passed, and it simply will not adjust, no matter whether it's powered on, or on standby (not timer). I have also tried setting it to BBC2. I have even left if just on standby, not timer, for a whole day, and it still didn't adjust!

Hi folks,

Thanks for any help.

I've now tried mine on all 5 TV channels and nothing happens to the clock. (A watched clock never corrects!)

The only thing I have noticed is when in ITV1 after about 24 hours it appears to have corrected the clock but I've no idea when. Certainly not every hour.

I only noticed because the recording date had changed to 1/1/03 in the same time period.

It seems just clock works, sometimes on ITV1 but then mucks up the date!!!

I think I'd rather have the clock a couple of mins out, rather than the date, as it would never record anything.

I thought it didn't mess with the time, when switched in SAT timer mode but it did!!! Luckly it just recorded the programme anyway!

Thanks for that. At least I know I'm not the only one now! :D I may well now be inspired to write to JVC to see if they are aware of this. It's not that it's a real problem, just irritating when something doesn't work, when it should.

My DR-M1 recorder has exactly the same problem, gains time at a much faster rate than anything else with a digital clock in the home......

Plus, the thing is still driving me mad with frequent lock-ups whilst attempting to record anything, I now have a large (expensive) coaster collection and it doesn't seem to matter what brand of media I use.

I am taking it back tomorrow to the retailer and dumping it on their service desk, a very unreliable machine, despite early promise.

What exactly do you mean by 'lock ups'? Is it the same as I described in another thread, where you suddenly get the blue light flashing during recording, and the display says READING DISC, also flashing? I had that several times, but since I have started maticulously cleaning blank discs before I use them in the machine, it hasn't done that.

The clock is a bugger though. I'm going to e-mail JVC, and I'll post the results here. What's the betting they say they've not heard of the problem with the clock, and to return it to the retailer? If I do that, I'll have something else, but I do like the features on the JVC, particularly the Free Rate feature, and the On-Disc Timer Programming. Do any other brands have both of these, and are DVD-RW compatible?

I've had a reply from JVC. I asked about the clock, failed recordings, and the STB controller not working with Freeview:

We recommend that you set the clock to within 3 x minutes of real time and select PR4 (Channel 4) for Just Clock Reception in the Clock Set screen menu. The clock must stay within 3 x minutes of real time in order for PDC recordings to succeed.

The Set Top Box Control does not operate with Freeview Boxes. We regret that this transmitter system is Satellite Receiver compatible only and therefore we have no solution for this specific enquiry.

Unfortunately we are not able to provide an accurate diagnosis for the message indication - "disc not recordable". However this message indication is usually due to some imperfection within the disc used. In the instance that the recording is successful the disc is not defective and therefore will not need to be returned to the retailer. We recommend that you request an examination of the recorder by the retailer where it is failing to playback recordings made on this unit/stopping during recording etc.

Well, the second two aren't much help really, but I'll try the clock set to C4 and see if it makes any difference.

Well I tried setting the clock 1.5 mins fast and it didn't do a thing...

Does the fan ever go off????

I've discovered that if you switch ext2 to video or S-video mode instead of SAT video/s-video the fan goes off when you put into standby.

I was messing with the setting and discovered it had gone quite for the first time in 3 months!!!

Problem is that there is no SAT pass-through. No that its any good as mine works backwards. Switch to watch a DVD and it switches off the AV channel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I set the clock to C4 as they suggested, and this morning it's still 15 seconds fast, and gaining! :mad:

Yes, the fan is another thing. Mine doesn't go off either, so I assume that will be the first thing to break down on the machine. :rolleyes: Like you, I want the RGB loopthrough, but is there any difference in recording quality if you set the AV2 input to Video, rather than Sat Video? It's still only going to be composite, as it won't record in RGB anyway.

Bloody thing! This had such good reviews as well, which is why I bought one. Think I might be firing some letters off to the Home Entertainment magazines!

So far, we have the following 'faults'

1. Just Clock doesn't work on any channel
2. Fan won't switch off in Standby mode, if AV2 is set to Sat Video
3. STB Control does not work Freeview boxes
4. Discs have to be immaculately spotless to avoid high risk of failed recordings.

Anything else, anyone? :eek:

Well, I set the clock to C4 as they suggested, and this morning it's still 15 seconds fast, and gaining! :mad:

Yes, the fan is another thing. Mine doesn't go off either, so I assume that will be the first thing to break down on the machine. :rolleyes: Like you, I want the RGB loopthrough, but is there any difference in recording quality if you set the AV2 input to Video, rather than Sat Video? It's still only going to be composite, as it won't record in RGB anyway.

Bloody thing! This had such good reviews as well, which is why I bought one. Think I might be firing some letters off to the Home Entertainment magazines!

So far, we have the following 'faults'

1. Just Clock doesn't work on any channel
2. Fan won't switch off in Standby mode, if AV2 is set to Sat Video
3. STB Control does not work Freeview boxes
4. Discs have to be immaculately spotless to avoid high risk of failed recordings.

Anything else, anyone? :eek:

I would say (4) was an under statement. I've just had a failed recording at the very end of the disc and lost the lot.

The disc is now unreadable and I can even watch the recordings before the one that failed.

5) Very picky about RAM discs (mine does read any and still trying to be it sorted!)

6) When power is off for more than 1 hour( battery backup) the clock is not reset unless you do a full install

(This might be that the 'Just clock' doesn't work)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom