JVC DLA X70RBE + 95” Euroscr. Diplomat T-Tension react 3.0 £2600

Marmeldjuke

Standard Member
Reaction score
It is 8 years old of course but only 750 hours on factory lamp and it comes with a screen. The screen alone cost £1700 today.

What do you guys think? Got a possible opportunity to buy this kit.

Thanks in advance.

I guess the screen is worth £1000 max and the pj £800-900 so IMV £2600 is overpriced. It's decent kit but a used newer JVC pj+ screen should be available for similar money. Trouble with kit is it depreciates pretty fast.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I would not go for that old A JVC projector, that model has the net so stable ballast and lamp, if you look for the X500 and forward they got much better ballast lamp and motion processing. Always count in a new lamp and a calibration to correct the gamma drop.

So the react is a sweet but the JVC is old, low lumen output. Given you are buying both together, I would assume the seller would give you the JVC for £1k and the screen for £1k... so a couple of hundred quid off seems sensible.

I would not go for that old A JVC projector, that model has the net so stable ballast and lamp, if you look for the X500 and forward they got much better ballast lamp and motion processing. Always count in a new lamp and a calibration to correct the gamma drop.

The lamp has 750 factory hours on it so 1/3 lifetime spent (aprox. ofc.)

When you say newer model I assume you mean a USED newer model? Otherwise my gut rumbles wether those errors is worth £4000 more. I do have ISF trained eyes but lack the equipment for a "free" calibration. So maybe the errors would be noticeble to me.

So the react is a sweet but the JVC is old, low lumen output. Given you are buying both together, I would assume the seller would give you the JVC for £1k and the screen for £1k... so a couple of hundred quid off seems sensible.

Seller gave me a new price of £2400 for both.

Maybe I should try to get a good deal on the screen only and look out for a newer model like Stridsvognen said above?

It is indeed low lumen output but I noticed a few points that could possibly counter that somewhat in this case:

- A shorter than recommended throw range of 4m on 95", giving 113 nits (per projectorcentral calculator)

- Evening/night watching only with darkening curtains etc

- Gray screen to counter low lumen and reflective light from walls and ceiling 60cm and 40cm respectively.

Thanks for taking your time guys.

Inserted a photo from the seller.

Attachments

• Star Wars @ x70R.png
    Star Wars @ x70R.png
    1 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
If you can get the screen for less than £1k and could spend up to £2k on a used JVC something like an X500/700 or even X5000 possibly.

My real world calculations on a neutral gain screen say 85 nit on a 95" scren calibrated, with a brand new original lamp. I have changed multiple of these lamps around 700 hours as they became way to dim, so dont count on specs, expect around 650 ansi lumen max.
Concidering that a JVC X500 is around 800£ with the same hours, ill say a X70 is something you buy for 200£ max and then your ready to buy a new lamp and a ballast repair if it fails, often around 1400 hours.

If you can get the screen for less than £1k and could spend up to £2k on a used JVC something like an X500/700 or even X5000 possibly.
The X5000 is way to bright for that screen, it wont close down below 25fl on that screen size, so impossible to calibrate a 12-16fl, for that a X7000 is a must have, the older X500 will work perfectly, and is in many cases a better projector with higher contrast and less bright corners.
Ill think my old X500 would reach around 60000:1 on that screen.
I just checked the specs on the ReAct 3.0 screen, and wonder what anyone would want that kind of screen material for in a perfectly good HT, seems to have very poor off angle gain, i would go for a normal 1.0 gain material, which im sure will also have much less color shift as you go off angle on the screen.

Doubt you could get any used model JVC pj for £200 max even faulty units go for that sort of money. Realistically a high hours X70 would command £700+ IMV.

Doubt you could get any used model JVC pj for £200 max even faulty units go for that sort of money. Realistically a high hours X70 would command £700+ IMV.
Thats why nobody knowing a bit about JVC projectors will touch these first models with a firestick, unless they are basically free, they are to expensive in comparison to reliability and performance, not that its a bad projector at all, there is just better used JVC alternatives, motion is poor on the X70, very poor, that was fixed in the X500 and forward, unless you activate e shift, then motion is as poor as the X70 again, the X35-X75 had updated lamp lamp blower and ballast, and is a better projector, but still got the poor motion.

The react screens are really only viable in a non light controlled rooms in semi daylight conditions otherwise a waste of time and money if used at night in even far from batcave conditions.

He would be better spending less on the screen and more on the pj.

Yes grab the screen. Endangered species of screens.
Will make any projector you buy perceives contrast Better than without it

The X5000 is way to bright for that screen, it wont close down below 25fl on that screen size, so impossible to calibrate a 12-16fl, for that a X7000 is a must have, the older X500 will work perfectly, and is in many cases a better projector with higher contrast and less bright corners.
Ill think my old X500 would reach around 60000:1 on that screen.

My throw range is limited to a max of 5m. Room width is 3.6m and distance between front speakers is 2.7m so biggest screen I can go without covering the speakers is about 106". Then there would only be 45cm in proximity to the brightly colored walls (albeit tapestry). I assume this would be too close without loosing some dynamic range around the screen and impacting the dark perception of my/our eyes.

I just checked the specs on the ReAct 3.0 screen, and wonder what anyone would want that kind of screen material for in a perfectly good HT, seems to have very poor off angle gain, i would go for a normal 1.0 gain material, which im sure will also have much less color shift as you go off angle on the screen.

The viewing positions is a maximum of 2 meters apart at that 5m throw range. Not much of an off-axis viewing angle I think?

If I understand you correctly you mean that an x70RBE with 750hour factory lamp (such as in my case) is a decent buy at £700?

...Unless you activate e shift, then motion is as poor as the X70 again, the X35-X75 had updated lamp lamp blower and ballast, and is a better projector, but still got the poor motion.

The purpose would be 1080p 24 only. When you say motion do you mean motion errors on this mode or when using (I.e. "Frame Interpolation") ?

The react screens are really only viable in a non light controlled rooms in semi daylight conditions otherwise a waste of time and money if used at night in even far from batcave conditions.

He would be better spending less on the screen and more on the pj.

At DAYTIME with shutters and darkening curtains closed it gets really dark but after a little while you can start to distinguish the bright walls from some small light leaking in. At night with curtains etc its bat cave conditions. But Proximity of the screen to the walls and ceiling will of course add to image degradation. on 95" it would leave 75cm to each side.

But as you say, it might not warrant such a screen as the one we are talking about.

My throw range is limited to a max of 5m. Room width is 3.6m and distance between front speakers is 2.7m so biggest screen I can go without covering the speakers is about 106". Then there would only be 45cm in proximity to the brightly colored walls (albeit tapestry). I assume this would be too close without loosing some dynamic range around the screen and impacting the dark perception of my/our eyes.

The viewing positions is a maximum of 2 meters apart at that 5m throw range. Not much of an off-axis viewing angle I think?

If I understand you correctly you mean that an x70RBE with 750hour factory lamp (such as in my case) is a decent buy at £700?

The purpose would be 1080p 24 only. When you say motion do you mean motion errors on this mode or when using (I.e. "Frame Interpolation") ?

At DAYTIME with shutters and darkening curtains closed it gets really dark but after a little while you can start to distinguish the bright walls from some small light leaking in. At night with curtains etc its bat cave conditions. But Proximity of the screen to the walls and ceiling will of course add to image degradation. on 95" it would leave 75cm to each side.

But as you say, it might not warrant such a screen as the one we are talking about.

A X500 is a decent buy at 700£, the motion on the X70 is limited by a very slow processor, huge lag, it introduces like a dot crawl/ moire effect on motion.

Ill recommend a neutral screen for your room, and add a few side curtains if possible.

If the X70 is good enough for you the X3-X30-X35 is cheaper and very equal performance, the X35 would be preferred over the X70.

Last edited:
I own a React screen which is great but I would only buy that type of screen from a dealer who you can return it to if there’s a problem. The screen material is very delicate.

A X500 is a decent buy at 700£, the motion on the X70 is limited by a very slow processor, huge lag, it introduces like a dot crawl/ moire effect on motion.

Ill recommend a neutral screen for your room, and add a few side curtains if possible.
There are a few black acoustical absorbers 120cm in height at the edges where a screen would sit so its something atleast. Had to make a compromise with my wife which was successful when I suggested she can design their exterior and I decide the hidden materials inside :)

If the X70 is good enough for you the X3-X30-X35 is cheaper and very equal performance, the X35 would be preferred over the X70.
I previously only had Epson TW1000 & TW2000 (2008?) when they were new. About the same time I watched a JVC in a demo room and was greatly impressed by the difference. Ever since I have been dreaming of having one myself but the prices were too steep in comparison to my income.

We have moved and now there is once again atleast fair conditions for setting up a little home theater.

I own a React screen which is great but I would only buy that type of screen from a dealer who you can return it to if there’s a problem. The screen material is very delicate.
Your information is greatly appreciated. I did not know that. Good point.

If you like watching the projector with a bit of ambient light at any point in time, the REACT screen is a no brainer as far as ALR goes. Similarly if your room isn't a batcave, I think the React will be a big upgrade to your IQ more than a PJ 2x its price IMO.

If you like watching the projector with a bit of ambient light at any point in time, the REACT screen is a no brainer as far as ALR goes. Similarly if your room isn't a batcave, I think the React will be a big upgrade to your IQ more than a PJ 2x its price IMO.
I see your running a HW40ES, i had one of those, and im sure to your situation your right, however Any JVC projector is a hole different level of projector, and if you care a bit about image quality the HW40 or a react screen is not doing image quality a favor. good color uniformity high contrast and low image distortion will be wasted, then its better just to buy a cheap Epson or SONY,.
screen types like the React comes with some huge compromises, to deal with other very bad compromises, to a point ill say projector setup is not recommended at all.
How do color uniformity measure on your setup from your sitting position ? and do you have a picture of your setup/ room conditions?

I see your running a HW40ES, i had one of those, and im sure to your situation your right, however Any JVC projector is a hole different level of projector, and if you care a bit about image quality the HW40 or a react screen is not doing image quality a favor. good color uniformity high contrast and low image distortion will be wasted, then its better just to buy a cheap Epson or SONY,.
screen types like the React comes with some huge compromises, to deal with other very bad compromises, to a point ill say projector setup is not recommended at all.
How do color uniformity measure on your setup from your sitting position ? and do you have a picture of your setup/ room conditions?

on JVC thread a few users are using react screens and enjoying them a lot. maybe open up this discussion with them.

No my room is currently just housing the 77'' OLED :)

on JVC thread a few users are using react screens and enjoying them a lot. maybe open up this discussion with them.

No my room is currently just housing the 77'' OLED :)
Some like the mother some the daughter, you cant change that, you can objectively discuss size firmness and hair color.

I never had the means for anything other than Epson EH-TW1000/2000 back in the days. The whole reason I got to a deep dive into ISF certification and its studies began with me not understanding why everything seemed so "black". I simply did not know there was something of data bandwidth 16-235/0-255 for video signals...

After learning A LOT from all of you in Belgium, UK, US, Phil, Silver, Neil, LG etc. I was on a course that I would instill some very "unknown" entertainment to my beloved ones....

This was completely unknown territory for any in my family - A territory many of us take for granted. Me, my GF, collegues and friends had LOTS of fun in my poor-mans batcave every single weekend over a few bulbs in a "CHEAP" calibrated Epson tw2000 on a 104" with some fair 5.1. It was breathtaking for any of us to say the least because we had it TOGETHER.

My grandfather, 70 years old by that time always fell a sleep 10 minutes on ANYTHING he ever saw on TV. One day he came to visit and I introduced him to the batcave with Planet Earth (He always prefered animals over guns, I knew this) on said setup, cheap as it may seem to most of you....

Some HOURS later he crawled out trhough the door totaly INSPERFECTUATEDLISINGLY (For lack of a better word) eager to explain what he had just experienced (seen/heard). The day went on until he had seen all of it and even MORE on the subject with NO naps or sleepies.

Long story short, the more I learn the less I accept. Somehow I wish I were like my friends and collegues. Not knowing any better and thinking "-IT IS BEST"

I was the only one dreaming....If only I had a true JVC.

How is that for a perspective for you? :D

Here's a bargain for you:

Shame it's white but at that price :)

Leaves you £600 for a screen which should be doable second hand.

Here's a bargain for you:

Shame it's white but at that price :)

Leaves you £600 for a screen which should be doable second hand.
The X5900 wont work for that screen size, its wayyyyy to bright,he need to step back to the X500 or up to the X7900 to be able to calibrate it to a neutral screen below 120"

Yes you say that but maybe he can increase the screen size or move the pj further back, or he may want to view HDR material etc. :D

Yes you say that but maybe he can increase the screen size or move the pj further back, or he may want to view HDR material etc. :D
He have already stated the max screen size, and HDR material is fairly messed up on these projectors, unless you get a lumagen or Mad VR, and then it still dont make sense to lower contrast to get higher dynamic range.. A 1080P JVC works perfect with HD Blu Ray D65 8 bit Rec 709, 1:1 pixel mapping, nice motion, as soon as you activate e shift you compromise motion, and add noise.
Seriously the X500 is a much better projector than the X5900 for a setup like that, i have both here on a 110" screen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom