JVC DLA X70RBE + 95” Euroscr. Diplomat T-Tension react 3.0 £2600

Marmeldjuke

Standard Member
Yes you say that but maybe he can increase the screen size or move the pj further back, or he may want to view HDR material etc. :D
The maximum physical dimensions in which to fit a screen is:
WIDTH - 272cm/107"
HEIGTH - 150cm/60"
-- Giving DIAGONAL - 312cm/123" on 16:9

Throw range 4.5m (lens to screen with an approx. depth of 50cm on the machine. It will sit all the way back up against the rear wall)

A screen at this size could fit but then it would be right up on the ceiling. Unless I buy a sheet of VANTA black to fit in the ceiling I believe it would give some really bad light reflections.

Quite counterproductive if you want to go JVC for really good shadowdetail in the first place, right?

He have already stated the max screen size, and HDR material is fairly messed up on these projectors, unless you get a lumagen or Mad VR, and then it still dont make sense to lower contrast to get higher dynamic range.. A 1080P JVC works perfect with HD Blu Ray D65 8 bit Rec 709, 1:1 pixel mapping, nice motion, as soon as you activate e shift you compromise motion, and add noise.
Seriously the X500 is a much better projector than the X5900 for a setup like that, i have both here on a 110" screen.
The Intentional use is 1080p, 23.976, SDR content. Some possible use of frame interpolation for computer animated movies. And some high performance PC gaming.

Stridsvognen

The maximum physical dimensions in which to fit a screen is:
WIDTH - 272cm/107"
HEIGTH - 150cm/60"
-- Giving DIAGONAL - 312cm/123" on 16:9

Throw range 4.5m (lens to screen with an approx. depth of 50cm on the machine. It will sit all the way back up against the rear wall)

A screen at this size could fit but then it would be right up on the ceiling. Unless I buy a sheet of VANTA black to fit in the ceiling I believe it would give some really bad light reflections.

Quite counterproductive if you want to go JVC for really good shadowdetail in the first place, right?

The Intentional use is 1080p, 23.976, SDR content. Some possible use of frame interpolation for computer animated movies. And some high performance PC gaming.
Lag is extremely bad on the older JVC models, so dont get to high expectations on gaming where lag is important.

He have already stated the max screen size, and HDR material is fairly messed up on these projectors, unless you get a lumagen or Mad VR, and then it still dont make sense to lower contrast to get higher dynamic range.. A 1080P JVC works perfect with HD Blu Ray D65 8 bit Rec 709, 1:1 pixel mapping, nice motion, as soon as you activate e shift you compromise motion, and add noise.
Seriously the X500 is a much better projector than the X5900 for a setup like that, i have both here on a 110" screen.
I am going to call you out on that. I've got the jvc x7900 and 106 screen and hdr looks amazing on it. And I do have 2 OLED tv's to compare.

Stridsvognen

I am going to call you out on that. I've got the jvc x7900 and 106 screen and hdr looks amazing on it. And I do have 2 OLED tv's to compare.
What is measured light output do you have on screen, and how are you tracking the HDR gamma?

What is measured light output do you have on screen, and how are you tracking the HDR gamma?
I don't care about light output or measuring I go with my eyes. I do use low lamp at -5 for hdr and it is amazing on the x7900

Stridsvognen

I don't care about light output or measuring I go with my eyes. I do use low lamp at -5 for hdr and it is amazing on the x7900
Problem is that amazing to you might be very very bad or totally wrong, its a subjective opinion that is hard to relate to.

Problem is that amazing to you might be very very bad or totally wrong, its a subjective opinion that is hard to relate to.
Yes it is but I am comparing it to my 65c8 OLED and not another projector. If it can look like my TV then I am happy

Stridsvognen

Yes it is but I am comparing it to my 65c8 OLED and not another projector. If it can look like my TV then I am happy
Thats not really possible is it? 2 compleetly different displays with very different light output and tonemapping, i heard that a well calibrated C8 should do very nicely but uncalibrated they are a total disaster.
But since the thread starter is not really intersted in HDR i wont matter much

Marmeldjuke

Standard Member
Lag is extremely bad on the older JVC models, so dont get to high expectations on gaming where lag is important.
Yes, I think I remember that from the past!

But when I said "High Performance" gaming I meant high computer performance/eye candy and not wrist-twitching "Competetive" gaming (I am too old for that anyway, I probably got twice the lag than the Proj :)

Just immersive slow paced single player titles.

Light output is a well known, highly important and a standardized parameter but if you are happy either way there is nothing "wrong" if you truly like it, even though it is not "correct" :)

If you are unhappy there is certainly something wrong though, right? :D

Thats not really possible is it? 2 compleetly different displays with very different light output and tonemapping, i heard that a well calibrated C8 should do very nicely but uncalibrated they are a total disaster.
I tried the 65C8 and it was a good all around apparatus. My wife liked the extra smart/netflix etc features. and the better performance under "civil" lighting conditions.

Unfortunately it was too small for the viewing distance, I do not watch Broadcasted content and the first one were damaged from shipment and the 2nd died after just a handful of hours. Had driven 900km/500 miles for all the troubles and by that point there was no satisfaction and I just took the money back.

I do know that a few percent of buyers is always going to have Dead on Arrival failures so I do not blame the quality of the set in anyway but still broke my satisfication.

After this it was easy to figure out I should continue using projection. My wife have been hard to bend in the pursuit of performance over a "civilized viewing evironment" but she is catching on. She have never experience batcave projection before so I know shes going to get hooked :)

The standardized parameters is of absolute importance for me, within the limitations of compromises in the viewing environment. I do have ISF certification (albeit a bit outdated, but it helps) so with the help of all of you on AV forums I am convinced I can get a satisfying result.

Because of this and all the JVC models I have been looking at it seems they require a bigger space than what I have to really shine. A lower gain screen might help some but once again it kind of defeats the purpose of pursuing the broad dynamic range these models are capable of. Am I right?

Correct, not interested whatsoever.

Stridsvognen

One thing to be aware about specially with JVC is changing room temperature, so if you buy a JVC make sure its well ventilated and stable temperature where its locatet, otherwise the gamma and color balance will keep drifting forever.

Marmeldjuke

Standard Member
One thing to be aware about specially with JVC is changing room temperature, so if you buy a JVC make sure its well ventilated and stable temperature where its locatet, otherwise the gamma and color balance will keep drifting forever.
Cool tip. Fresh air enters silently in the room and the proj is free in all directions.

What do you think of this? might aswell be a 2:35 because then it counters some more distance to ceiling :)

I get 105nits from projcentral but could drop within acceptable levels with proper calibration I think?

Seems like a bargain with everything I actually need.

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I would go for it mate as it is a bargain :) . I think it's a collection job so are you near enough to do that.

Marmeldjuke

Standard Member
I live in Gothenburg Sweden so I would have to either Drive there (20 hours) or by plane for just about £100. But then by Airplane there could possibly but a huge cost for the uneven dimensions of the luggage.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Guess it's a no no then :(

Marmeldjuke

Standard Member
Not at all. I could drive that distance with some cheap overnight guesthouse. Might be worth the airplane as well and just buy the extra luggage, still with a overnight stay. Im used to flying all over world so its no big deal in that regard.

Safest for the equipment - Drive

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Drive would be my choice, YOU are then in control of the kit and not luggage handlers etc.

Enjoy the trip if you decide to do it :thumbsup:

My only points would be what is the cost of the trip and if there was any repair issues you would have to have them dealt with locally and pay for them rather than if you were in the uk, the seller can help out with repairs under warranty.

Stridsvognen

The X7900 will be possible to fit into every situation possible, from very small to big screen. Warranty might be a good idea, heard a lot about X7900 with iris problems.

Marmeldjuke

Standard Member
The X7900 will be possible to fit into every situation possible, from very small to big screen. Warranty might be a good idea, heard a lot about X7900 with iris problems.
It would seem this particular machine was once repaired by the current owner due to iris problem.

spackel87

Novice Member
You could just get a x7900 for around 3799 euro from germany, there is even a customer return x7900 for 3380 euro from beamer-discount.de. I was suppose to buy that one but i had to wait because my theater project got delayed. Then just find a screen that suits you on blocket :) Lycka till!

Marmeldjuke

Standard Member
Nice tip!

In Sweden it is written on "Hembiobutiken.se" the warranty for the JVC is 3 years. In germany is says 24months "bring-in service" on the NEW one.

Any clues about the warranties on JVC when buying from abroad. Germany to Sweden in this case.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Here only UK purchased JVC products can be repaired free under warranty in UK, I suspect it may be the same in individual EU countries.

Also warranty is only applicable to original purchasers and not second owners.

Marmeldjuke

Standard Member
I made an inquiry about warranty but no response.

But as you say, if ownership can not be transfered according to JVC policy, I would assume the product is no longer retail and the firm holds 1st hand ownership.

JVC might make good machines but they might not be so lenient on a warranty claim for a "used" item shipped and sold abroad.

I am just speculating.

Stridsvognen

Jvc will use every trick in the book to avoid warranty cases. So u need to do your homework before buying. Preferable directly from jvc dealer.
Inside EU they have to take it no matter what other EU country you buy it in. As long as you buy from a jvc dealer. And contact jvc to confirm the store is a dealer before u buy.
Also read the conditiins about firmware updates. As jvc agressivly promote free firmware these days the also make sure that all isues related to updates is on your own expense.
They make great projectors. Also very bad ones of same model. Huge tolerances and creative specs. Not sure there is any projector manufacture with worse service.

Marmeldjuke

Standard Member
I think I have come to realize that it will be hard to procure one of these machines new in Sweden to be sure of warranty from a local company. Been seeing some problems with JVC of which I were not aware of, but as usual you only get to see the people who have problems but very few of the MANY and majority that never had any problems and are perfectly pleased.

I also think I need a proper batcave to fully utilize these machines amazing dynamic range. I have a limited throw range of 4.5m with white walls & ceiling (Except for black acoustical treatment panels scattered around the room).

I dont think the deep blacks a good JVC can do will provide any better blacks than some other decent budget machine under my viewing conditions.

Altough I previously only owned the Epson EH-TW1000 & EH-TW2000 which I thought was a good bang for the buck. But still back then I watched with awe a side by side a JVC in a demo room.

Last edited: