JVC DLA X5900/X7900/X9900 owners thread

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got this x5900 :)

CEE3E28D-D528-4F59-8568-C38F08E8BAE4.jpeg

Have mounted it, briefly set it up and that’s it so far.

Got a picture from SkyQ, nVidia Shield TV, can get one from Panasonic UB900, but only if I turn the wick down on 4k to 4:2:0, is that normal with previous ones?

###########

Here‘s a link on how to upload JAVS Custom Curves :-

Last edited:
Had zero issues with the same settings on my Optoma 4k DLP before with same cable, 10m redmere..

I guess the way to prove / disprove is to use a short 4K certified cable and see if that exhibits the same behaviour.

Ok cool will do, will be having a play over weekend anyway..

I have a 18GBps fibre HDMI cable (10m), works perfectly!

Are you sending the signal directly from the UB900 to the X5900? If so it's definitely the cable, the JVC's use full-fat 18GBps HDMI inputs, so the UB900 will output the full signal which I suspect your cable can't handle. I've got the X5900 in for review at the moment and have no such issues with a Premium High Speed HDMI cable.

No it’s via my Denon x4300 AVR. I have ordered a shorter premium cable from Amazon yesterday which should arrive later today so will test. What I don’t get is that I had an Optoma UHD550x plugged in exactly the same way yesterday and that has worked fine for the last few weeks.

No it’s via my Denon x4300 AVR. I have ordered a shorter premium cable from Amazon yesterday which should arrive later today so will test. What I don’t get is that I had an Optoma UHD550x plugged in exactly the same way yesterday and that has worked fine for the last few weeks.
OK well it won't be the X4300, so it must be the cable. You'll need to make sure that both cables (the one from the player to the AVR and the one from the AVR to the JVC) are Premium High Speed. They won't have been an issue with your Optoma because it can't support 4K 4:4:4 12-bit but the JVC can handle the maximum output of the UB900.

They won't have been an issue with your Optoma because it can't support 4K 4:4:4 12-bit but the JVC can handle the maximum output of the UB900.
Ok thanks, that’s the key bit of info I hadn’t appreciated. Cable is 10m so guessing a premium cable will only go to 5-8m so I’m looking at exapensive fibre hdmi’s then?!? Any recommendations and rough prices?

Ok thanks, that’s the key bit of info I hadn’t appreciated. Cable is 10m so guessing a premium cable will only go to 5-8m so I’m looking at exapensive fibre hdmi’s then?!? Any recommendations and rough prices?
You should be able to find a 10m cable, as long as it's High Speed and rated to 18GBps.

I’m guessing copper isn’t going to cut it though over 6-8m? I have a brand new Amazon Redmere (Actice cable) at the moment rated high speed 18gb etc. I also have a couple of other 18gb ones I’ll try, but wonder if 10m is just too much for copper and I’ll need a fibre one?

I’m guessing copper isn’t going to cut it though over 6-8m? I have a brand new Amazon Redmere (Actice cable) at the moment rated high speed 18gb etc. I also have a couple of other 18gb ones I’ll try, but wonder if 10m is just too much for copper and I’ll need a fibre one?
You might eventually find a 10m cable that works (unlikely though at 4:4:4 4K HDR), the Ruipro definitely will.
Speak to dan @themovierooms I am sure he will do you a deal.

Is there a way of testing a hdmi cable. I need a 8.5 run. I currently have a 7.5 high speed which works. Ie I can game at 4k on PC and through Xbox s with HDR. Can I assume that's more than enough test for bandwidth purposes. Was thinking of joining a one meter extension to see if it worked rather than getting a 10m run which would be 1. 5m more than I need. Not sure whether an extention cable would degrade signal more than running the extra 1.5 m

If the output is the problem, would changing the signal output from the panny not be a solution? Or would the image suffer?

Is there a way of testing a hdmi cable. I need a 8.5 run. I currently have a 7.5 high speed which works. Ie I can game at 4k on PC and through Xbox s with HDR. Can I assume that's more than enough test for bandwidth purposes. Was thinking of joining a one meter extension to see if it worked rather than getting a 10m run which would be 1. 5m more than I need. Not sure whether an extention cable would degrade signal more than running the extra 1.5 m
You need to be careful with connectors, I had a 90° HDMI adaptor into my projector for neatness. This caused sparklies with 4:4:4 12 Bit HDR signals, as soon as I took it out it was ok.

If the output is the problem, would changing the signal output from the panny not be a solution? Or would the image suffer?
This is what I’ve had to do for now. Fibre hdmi hopefully turning up tomorrow. This is picture on 4:2:2.

B911ACBE-F835-4A7D-80BC-EDEBD452DE8F.jpeg

A quick thanks to Ricky of Kalibrate who supplied me an X7900 pre-calibrated with a few custom HDR modes to replace my X3, including taking time to demo abd impart a wealth of JVC calibration advice.

So far, it's up on the ceiling mount and overwhelmingly good!

Thanks Ricky.

This is what I’ve had to do for now. Fibre hdmi hopefully turning up tomorrow. This is picture on 4:2:2.
Out of interest, what source are you using that makes you care about sending 4:4:4 to the display with respect to UHD content?

I thought all UHD BD is 4:2:0 encoding (even HDR). So if you're outputting 4:4:4 signal from a 4:2:0 media source then I was under the impression all you're doing is duplicating chroma info across the pixels in the player to fill up slots - it is a waste of high bandwidth cable, as the display device on seeing the source is 4:2:0 (or more likely, 4:2:2 by the time it gets out of the player) can duplicate the chroma information itself.

Everywhere I look lately in uk and USA forums it's all about numbers.. Not picture quality :rolleyes:

I could have the wrong end of the stick and there might be some reason to send 4:4:4 but I didn't think there was.

It’s a UB900, it was more a question of why wasn’t it working. Don’t mind leaving the wick turned down if it’s ok to do and not detrimental. It’s just if I leave it on auto it doesn’t work. Think my Panasonic DX902 maybe prefers it at the higher setting, I seem to remember reading, but later firmware on the UB900 has a lot more settings, 10/12 bit preferred etc... Have I just wasted time/money replacing my £20 hdmi cable with one ten times the price?! :)

Sure, I don't have those devices but it sounds like it should work with a short enough or good enough cable. Some devices can work better than others with a given cable, and that might be what you're seeing.

If you're wanting to watch all 4K content without issues you'd be best off having a 4K60 disc to test with, as that will really push your cable.

Well the cable can’t be shorter than 10m as the pj is in another room to the lounge and shines back into the lounge through a hole in the back wall. On the UB900 if you press info you can see how the UHD disc is encoded, I think it said 4:2:0 10 bit when I looked before, but will have a play tomorrow.

Everywhere I look lately in uk and USA forums it's all about numbers.. Not picture quality :rolleyes:
Yes not fussed about the numbers, it’s how it looks but also finding a setting that’s compatible and good for both tv and pj so it’s easy to use either without having to change any settings etc..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom