JVC DLA X5900/X7900/X9900 owners thread

Just don't get a bad one and it'll be fine. I think the Seymour XD or UF are probably the best there is.. think there's another material they use in the EU for a lot of studio work... the name escapes me right now... might be Enlightor.

I had the XD and then the Enlightor 4K. The 4K was excellent, but if you’re sensitive to weave visibility, I could see it at 11 feet pretty easily, especially with sky shots etc.

I now have the Stewart ST100 (non-AT) and it’s sensational. The most natural-looking screen I’ve seen, bar none. It’s just phenomenal.

I had the XD and then the Enlightor 4K. The 4K was excellent, but if you’re sensitive to weave visibility, I could see it at 11 feet pretty easily, especially with sky shots etc.

I now have the Stewart ST100 (non-AT) and it’s sensational. The most natural-looking screen I’ve seen, bar none. It’s just phenomenal.

Interesting, as supposedly no minimum seating distance with the Enlightor 4K... :eek:

Hey all, got my DLA-RS540 (7900/790) yesterday, and have discovered a crazy issue with the Dynamic Iris:

I'm copying/pasting this info from another forum where I posted it:

I've found with the Dynamic Iris set to Auto 1 or 2, I'm getting this very peculiar image glitch that completely destroys e.g. facial details.

It does this in SDR or HDR, and I'm using The Greatest Showman at min 48:59. It's easy to test. Just go to 48:59, and then just pause the movie, and make sure no other menus etc are visible. You'll notice (pause or unpaused) that Hugh Jackman's face does this weird contrast thing... I can't even explain it. Again, does this in both SDR and HDR, and the only way I've found to fix it is to NOT use the Dynamic Iris - just set it to manual.

When I bring up the JVC Menu, this issue disappears - I'm guessing because it disables the Dynamic Iris in the menus?

Either way, I'm really not happy about this.

Video:

Imgur

*edit*

If I set the iris to manual and set it to ~-10, and THEN switch back to Auto Iris 1 or 2, this seems to mitigate the issue. But if I set the iris to a number higher (I.e. -9 or above with DI enabled,, I see the issue get progressively worse the higher the number. What am I missing?) Why does manual DI take precedence over Auto?

What I'm seeing is a bug in how the Dynamic Iris automatically adjusts gamma/colors/contrast (something to that effect), depending on content on screen. The Greatest Showman (either Blu-ray or UHD) exhibits this really easily - and it's simple to reproduce yourself.

I took an exposure-locked screenshot with my iPhone X to show everyone the difference between DI ON and DI OFF. I really feel like the Dynamic Iris is pointless on these projectors. Sure, there may not be many instances in content where this issue occurs - but it's going to bug me knowing it COULD occur on any content. So DI needs to stay off, where this BUG (and to me it's absolutely a bug) doesn't occur.

Dynamic Iris OFF (note especially the horizontal crease in Jackman's shirt):

Ayfev6w.jpg

Dynamic Iris ON:

fwohoen.jpg

Bottom line: If you own the JVC 540/640 (can't speak for the 440), and you want to enjoy The Greatest Showman in SDR or HDR, be sure to watch it with the Dynamic Iris off. It's insane to me that I even have to type this. :(

For reference: I confirmed this issue with a 990 owner, too, after pointing it out to him to test.

That's not very nice. When at @Rickyj @ Kalibrate 's forum day we saw similar in the "cigar" scene in Oblivion on both the X7900 and LS10500 on Tom Cruise's face (looked like it melted), though you might expect it in that scene as it is much more contrasty and the screen flips from very bright to dark and back again.

There doesn't seem to be anything that upsetting in that scene, unless his bib is in superwhite or something.

I've always turned off the dynamic Iris on projectors, looks like I'll have to continue thus once I get the 7900.

Non AT is no use to me tho. The Seymour XD to vast majority is fine at 11ft. I've seen them many times and didn't notice anything. If that's not good enough the the UF is finer and then Enlightor, I'm not sure it's AT or not tho.

I'm using a react II at the moment but due to the centre speaker it's a little high up for my liking.

The native contrast of the JVC’s is so high there is really no need for dynamic iris and I have never used it. The only reason why I use the iris is so I can manually close down iris to control brightness in my darkened room.

The native contrast of the JVC’s is so high there is really no need for dynamic iris and I have never used it. The only reason why I use the iris is so I can manually close down iris to control brightness in my darkened room.

That’s fair enough. Wish they’d left it out so I could pay less...

I've gone back to using the dynamic Iris on Auto 2 for eveything 2D, it's only been caught out a couple of times but I do like the fade to black :).

I've gone back to using the dynamic Iris on Auto 2 for eveything 2D, it's only been caught out a couple of times but I do like the fade to black :).
Yes when Jules calibrated my x5900 recently he turned on Auto2 and I have not seen any issues with it at all.

The Auto iris really helps the 5x00 series, do you need it with the higher models, maybe not but it's worth it for that fade to black.

That’s fair enough. Wish they’d left it out so I could pay less...
You still need it for the manual adjustment though even when you never use the auto iris mode.

Hi all.

I took delivery of a X7900 on Saturday.

I've set it up, but admittedly not had too much time to play.

But on first impressions, I'm a little underwhelmed.

First the good, I like the smoothness and sharpness of the picture quality, along with the richness of colour.

However, I find the picture a little dim compared to my old JVC HD350 which had 1500hrs on. So I guess I'm doing something wrong. However, the 350 did not have the lovely richness of colour the X7900 has.

HDR is pretty much a dead loss due to being too dark.

I'm projecting at a distance of roughly 4.5 metres onto 120" diagonal screen. I have the iris on manual and fully open on low lamp mode. I have a light controlled room, which is in my sig below.

I've ordered a light meter which is arriving tomorrow. Can anyone point me to a test slide to measure the light output with please? So I can check there's nothing wrong with the projector.

Maybe I just need to get used to the image difference between the two units. But I'm seeing people here running on low lamp mode with the iris closed up.

Any help greatly appreciated.

With a new lamp on a JVC x7xxxx in a light controlled room and manual iris full open on low lamp the light ouput is in fact too much and has to be dialled down. So it is surprising you find it to be too dim. I remember the 1st time I used my JVC x7000 the light ouput was too much and I dialled it down to -9.

Last edited:
@TarPot having owned a HD350/X35/X500 and now X7500 I'm really surprised with your findings: I have been using a lux meter over this time to monitor light output and can confirm that my HD350 was significantly dimmer than my X35/X500 and my X7500 is a step up from the X500 in light output so for SDR I only need the aperture half way open in eco lamp mode to achieve 14fL on a 3 metre wide Seymoure XD screen.

Something doesn't sound right with your example if it's dimmer than your HD350.

Cheers for the replies.

@KelvinS1965 can you give me some pointers on testing the light output correctly please?

When the D-ILA logo comes up on fire up, the 7900 is definitely brighter and whiter. So I'm guessing I need to spend some time setting it up properly.

Last edited:
I use a built in test pattern in my Lumagen, but basically you just need a pattern with 100% white in it. I then measure at the screen, with the Lux meter facing back towards the projector. Have the aperture in manual as you said.

A calculation will provide the fL value: Lux meter reading x 0.0929 x screen gain.

For SDR I adjust the aperture so that I read 130 Lux, which using the above calculation works out to around 12fL with my 1.0 gain screen. I remeasure occasionally and open the aperture as required to maintain the same 130 Lux. For my HDR settings I just open the aperture fully, so as time goes on I slowly lose light output, but the lamp in these models seems pretty stable after the initial 100 hours slight drop.

Hope that helps. :)

That's great thanks.

I'll report back my findings.

I have my Spears and Munsil disc. That has a 100% white screen on it.

My light meter is en route, so won't be long and I'm ready to test.

@KelvinS1965 Are there any settings I need the projector on? Or just leave contrast and brightness at zero?

If you are using HDMI 'Standard' then having contrast at 0 should typically give you clipping at 100%. In other words, the maximum light output for the test pattern. The actual light output will also depend on which colour space setting you are using, but I can't remember what the default ones are without being in front of mine. Colour temp will make a difference too, but initially just use 6500K.

If you calibrate in future, you will likely lose some light output, but just make sure you always check with the same settings applied so you can see if the light output has dropped. Also note that changing the aperture can affect the colour temperature, so you would need to recalibrate again after changing the aperture setting.

Thanks Kelvin, I'll post back once I've tested, giving the results and settings used.

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

I think I have a set up problem!

My calculations give me 18ftl with aperture fully open.

Last edited:
What distance are you projecting at?

I’m getting 130 lux at -9 aperture.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom