Quantcast

JVC DLA X5900/X7900/X9900 owners thread

fallinlight

I got in touch with USHIO, they are sending some pictures to the factory to check.
The main purpose is to find a place to buy original USHIO lamps, bare lamps, as with these older JVC projectors its hard to justify the price of a new lamp with housing from JVC, so if possible to actually buying the exact same USHIO bulb, for a significantly lower price, it would help keeping some of these projectors alive and in good helth.
Nice one, @Stridsvognen. I went with @jfinnie's advice earlier on here noting the gains of longevity, safety and warranty assurance sticking with an original complete JVC lamp. It is worth noting how profusely I use my projector, too: It is my main display, so it is always on for extended periods of time daily. So, with jf's advice and no assurance of a genuine USHIO lamp at the time, I chose the safe albeit expensive option.

However, am I right in assuming that you are of different mind to jfinnie? And that a proper lamp plus used housing has no negatives? Interested to hear a possible flip-side. If I did not have any doubts I would have stuck to my original plan of trying to acquire just a bare USHIO lamp, especially as times are hard. But I had no assurance at the time. At least I have retained some sort of peace of mind and the money went to a good and much needed business. So, I look forward to your findings which will hopefully relieve concerns for myself and others going ahead.

Best wishes, safe keeping and good-health to you,

fallinlight

Stridsvognen

Nice one, @Stridsvognen. I went with @jfinnie's advice earlier on here noting the gains of longevity, safety and warranty assurance sticking with an original complete JVC lamp. It is worth noting how profusely I use my projector, too: It is my main display, so it is always on for extended periods of time daily. So, with jf's advice and no assurance of a genuine USHIO lamp at the time, I chose the safe albeit expensive option.

However, am I right in assuming that you are of different mind to jfinnie? And that a proper lamp plus used housing has no negatives? Interested to hear a possible flip-side. If I did not have any doubts I would have stuck to my original plan of trying to acquire just a bare USHIO lamp, especially as times are hard. But I had no assurance at the time. At least I have retained some sort of peace of mind and the money went to a good and much needed business. So, I look forward to your findings which will hopefully relieve concerns for myself and others going ahead.

Best wishes, safe keeping and good-health to you,

fallinlight
If you have the skills to change a loos bulb, there is no reason to change the housing, the problem is to find the original USHIO bulb, i never seen one just like the one that is surplied from JVC, wich make me think it might not be possible to get the USHIO bulb, plenty of chinese copy ones.
So in general its adviced to buy a complete original from JVC, ill just like a cheaper solution when refurbishing some of these old JVC projectors, so i dont need to loos money every time i buy and sell one.

Last edited:
This is my original bulb. I was told that Diamond Lamps are just as good. But I have never tried one.
20200324_165846.jpg
20200324_165819.jpg

MickB

Hi,
I've just replaced my X30 with a 7900. Could anyone advise best settings for my Panny UB820, going via a Radiance Pro please?
thanks

fallinlight

This is my original bulb. I was told that Diamond Lamps are just as good. But I have never tried one.
View attachment 1273842View attachment 1273843
Ah yes, I remember Diamond Lamps, @Trophy hunter. Always read good things about them when I owned my magnificent Epson TW5500, one of my all time favourite projectors. But I still only stick to the original manufacturer, myself. The TW5500 used the magnificent Radeon HQV processor, but Epson later replaced it, I believe from the 9000 line onward (I preferred the 5500 to even the 9100). And it had the inkiest, most textured, inkiest blacks I have ever seen. These coupled, made for a truly filmic and fun image - I was still projecting on my terracotta wall at the time! I used to bleed the reds out as much as possible. Criminal, to think, now, but it still looked amazing:

21. TW5500 - Batman vs Joker.jpg

Epson TW5500: The Dark Knight, Joker VS Batman scene - I remember the cinema and I clapping when Batman flipped the truck!

IMG_20151107_244910286.jpg

Epson TW5500: The Last of the Mohicans, forest ambush scene - Without Light Power Filter (LPE), if memory serves me correctly.

IMG_20151107_244742267.jpg

Epson TW5500: The Last of the Mohicans, forest ambush scene - With Light Power Filter (LPE), if memory serves me correctly. Stunning scene, with the scene set and built perfectly by the slow vertical dolly shot, it really captures the weight, terror and anticipation of the ambush and the scale of the fight, as the British Army blind fire, shots dispersing on the Huron warriors out of shot.

IMG_20151109_242733189.jpg

Epson TW5500: T-Rex's eat (poor) Eddie Carr - what an amazing scene. Spielberg, shows his masterful framing. I don't think anything since Lost World can compare, for example, the perfect, awe-inspiring and impactful framing and direction of Brachiosaurus in Jurassic Park, compered to the poorly framed Brachiosaurus scene in Jurassic World 2.

20140501_145537.jpg

The Dark Knight, Lucius Fox agrees to Batman's request to track thousands of cell phones - stunning image, even despite my terracotta wall.

I would love to see how I feel about it now compared - in person - to my X7900! I still have all the photos and comparisons of all of the projectors I have ever owned, minus my first, an entry level Optoma, 720p I believe it was.

I also remember the first time I owned a JVC, the HD1. It was mind-blowing and eye-opening. Yes, it was the blacks and contrast. I remember seeing The Dark Knight on it for the firs time (on a JVC) and it was so exciting, these new and uncharted waters of image quality and film experience, if you like. A few JVC's later, I landed upon my first X3 (owned a fair few!) and my memorable standout experience with my first X3, was watching Avatar 3D. I remember noting how much of a difference that contrast and black-floor made to the 3D image and experience alone. I still ponder in amazement at the occasion in my mind.

20140709_002003.jpg

JVC X3: The Dark Knight, Joker VS Batman scene - I could not find any Avatar 3D images. So, here, you can see the stark step up in quality from the TW5500 and HD350 from this much loved and documented scene.

20140709_023238.jpg

JVC X3: The Fifth Element, the 'great evil' approaches before ultimately destroying General Staedert and the Earth spaceships. What amazing contrast, detail and sharpness on show from the still impressive X3!

As for sharpness and uniformity, the projector that impressed me the most to date was my HD350. It was razor sharp with pure whites because it had the optimum (not sure if the technology has changed now) panel/ pixel traits: Each red, white and blue pixel out around a full step to create a razor sharp pixel at seating distance. This tends to come at the expense of clean, bright whites however, which you would have with a more uniform RGB. The trade of there is a blurrier image.

20140704_004012.jpg

JVC HD350, red, green and blue pixel alignment.

17b.jpg

JVC HD350: The Dark Knight, Joker VS Batman scene - the models pre-X3 (if I remember correctly?) did not have independent RGB colour management, hence the reds from my terracotta wall.

Even coming from my X5000 to my X7900, I remember my friend's and mine initial impressions. I said out loud, 'it's just like a TV', the clarity, vibrancy; punch and purity of the image watching one of my favourite YouTube podcasts. This carried true when we tested Mad Max: Fury Road for the first time, the motion improvements, detail and speed of which this and the action was captured was very impressive to us and I noted these as clear improvements over my X5000. I think the blacks from my X7900 hold up very close to my X3, but is not quite a match, from memory. And certainly no match for my HD350. But in all, I still think my X7900 is certainly overall, hands down the best projector I have ever owned. But I will always retain fond memories and hold respect for the still stunning qualities of my oldies.

With my nostalgia trip in mind, does anyone else have nostalgic memories of certain projectors that they miss? JVC or otherwise? And how do they think it might stack up against their current JVC? @MickB, what are you thoughts and feelings jumping from your X30 to an X7900 - that is quite the leap!

I hope you all had a good cheer of support earlier tonight.

Warm wishes and well-being to all,

fallinlight

Last edited:

Stridsvognen

I have the following JVC models on the shelf right now.
JVC X3
JVC X7
JVC X500
JVC X5900

I have owned the RS2000/ N7.

Comparing these projectors its absolutly needet to do a good calibration, and it takes me 6-10 hours to calibrate these properly.
Comparing one to another with slightly different lightoutput or gamma can totaly tip the balance.

The X3, X7 X30 i have measured, have around 18000:1 on off contrast calibrated native fully open.
The X500 have 28000:1 on off calibrated fully open.
X5900 have 14000:1 calibrated fully open.
The RS2000/ N7 was 25000:1 calibrated fully open.

However these nr dont tell anything about how they perform in my setup contrast wise, as the contrast is tied up with the lightoutput.

Calibrated on my screen to 14 fl all with less than 200 hours on the lamps, the nr looks like this.

X3 26000:1
X7 28000:1
X500 43000:1 ( mesures higher other parts of the screen)
X5900 24000:1
RS2000 36000:1 ( serious bright corners so average contrast around 18000:1)

There is a lot of variations in the out of black performance on JVC projectors, and the best contrast one can be compleetly wasted if the 1-2% IRE is elevated, so its critical to calibrate the 1-2-3-4-5% IRE gamma tracking, sometimes a auto calibration is needet to correct the 3% IRE gamma, only way to do so, however the autocal on the X500 and X5900 do have some very unfortunate side effects on grayscale tracking with different iris settings, and the spyder probes is so off that if you dont have reference meter to manually corect after a autocal, its best not to do so at all.

So eyebaling these projectors is impossible, and the one looking the best can be the worse, or the other way around, overall from what i have here the X500 is the best JVC i have owned, it has unike convergence, focus and contrast uniformity, wich brings it very close to properly resolving 1080P, that cant be said about any of the others.

Last edited:

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor

My 7900 is up for grabs if anyone is looking for one.

Dan

Topmetom 2

Top Bottom