JVC DLA X35 - repair or replace ?

ianandnik

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, my HDMI ports appear to have failed on my JVC DLA X35BE. One port doesn't see a source signal, the other flickers like crazy and just started this weekend. Took it to an authorised JVC service company and they've said the main board is the problem, probably between the "layers" and not the ports or anything repairable. They quoted £1100 for a new board fitted or £700 for one taken from a spares model they've got. Prices include VAT.

Love the projector, but need some advice on whether to repair and keep or simply buy another new machine, for instance something that is 4K and seems to have a great spec. Such as Optoma UHD42 (White) . Lamp has done about 1.9K hours and never needed to be replaced, but I guess sods law says it will fail soon anyway!

Not bothered about 3D, but 4K/HDR would be nice as its used for films and gaming mostly. Throw distance is about 5m and screen diagonal is approx. 100 inches. Presumably most projectors have shift capability to position lens up/down/left/right and zoom to throw the optimal size.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

In some ways your environment might influence your decision.

I have an X3 and for me I would be most concerned about raising the black floor in any replacement. £700 does sound a lot though - it’s probably about what the projector would be worth second-hand if it had no faults - but I guess at least you know your projector’s history, how litttle use it’s had etc.

Tough call, but if I was looking at only those two options then I would probably get a UHD42 from Amazon so you can return it if the throw/zoom/lens-shift won’t match your setup or if it leaves you underwhelmed. Or even if you like it, return it and get one from an AV forums sponsor / dealer ;)

A further option might be someone on the forums who can do repairs at a more palatable cost...

Upvote 1
Thanks for this. aside from hours and this ports issue, its absolutely immaculate and was ceiling mounted in a dedicated/clean room for most of its life until we moved house. As an example, checked the filter in case overheating was an issue and there was literally nothing caught in it.

I'll explore further, but didn't think of asking for repair from the forums. I suspect second hand sale after repair may not recoup the outlay though and that's why I'm wondering about a simple replacement.

What's your view on a PJ that will deliver blacks like the JVC? It seems to me, I can achieve a better spec than the X35 at 4K without trying to get something with all the bells and whistles.

Upvote 0
No way is it worth spending £700 on a used board with no real warranty other than perhaps a few months.

£1100 is a rip off for a new one too and bear in mind £300+ for a new bulb at some stage as your 1.9k hrs bulb could potentially fail at any time although it could last another 1.9k hrs but no guarantee of that.

Either buy a used JVC X5000 or newer JVC model for £1k -1.5k which can be fed a 4k source if you love the JVC blacks/contrast levels. Or alternatively a new Faux4K Epson/Optoma if the blacks and contrast levels are not to much of a concern.

Upvote 0
My main point was that after spending £700 he would have a projector that he knew the provenance of. Yes the bulb might go, but same can be said of buying a 2nd hand unit elsewhere. An X3 (so two generations older) just sold for £580 in the classifieds. It’s a tough call if you don’t use a projector that often.

I agree about the repair prices being major rip offs - but a repair from a JVC authorised centre should provide some comfort at least. Best value would likely be a more recent model second-hand I agree.

As for blacks, remember that 4K requires a brighter bulb/image which might mean the black floor is raised still further. Hence you have to see with your own eyes to decide really.

Upvote 0
Thanks, it’s not a bulb I’m that concerned about but a 6 month warranty on a board for £700 is. I’ll try to negotiate a lower price for the board which was £400 of that £700, after all they can’t be seeing that many x3s coming through their door nowadays. If they don’t, I’ll keep it as a museum piece worst case and keep an eye out for a spare parts version on eBay etc.
I’m researching replacement models now, surely a 4K projector 10 years on for approx. £1k is going to be streets ahead of the X3?

Upvote 0
Thanks, it’s not a bulb I’m that concerned about but a 6 month warranty on a board for £700 is. I’ll try to negotiate a lower price for the board which was £400 of that £700, after all they can’t be seeing that many x3s coming through their door nowadays. If they don’t, I’ll keep it as a museum piece worst case and keep an eye out for a spare parts version on eBay etc.
I’m researching replacement models now, surely a 4K projector 10 years on for approx. £1k is going to be streets ahead of the X3?
Not so fast on the pricing.
If a main board replacement is anything like a Sony, then it is not just a straight swap.
Information needs copying from the old board and transferring to the new one. Parameters of the optical block etc. No two optical blocks are the same so this needs doing and requires special software/tools.
It is not a swift job and needs care and diligence.
So you could swap the boards yourself but don't be surprised when it doesn't look right or says the wrong model number or something afterwards.
If you do get the used board, make sure they swap the serial number sticker over too if you are a stickler for such things.

Upvote 0
The cost of the labour I can swallow, not the cost of a part with only 6 months warranty, whicj]h is basically a spare part they have from another non working machine. I know they have a business, but still feels like I being ripped off.

Upvote 0
The cost of the labour I can swallow, not the cost of a part with only 6 months warranty, whicj]h is basically a spare part they have from another non working machine. I know they have a business, but still feels like I being ripped off.
Understood. However, if your current board really is fubar, then it will need that data doing from scratch which takes even more time.
Maybe ask them what their hourly rate is to negotiate from a known position?
To my mind you have a choice of repairing a machine you know the full history of, or buying a newer second hand model with any issues that may come with it.
I would think that if you go for that board, then if something is going to go wrong, then it will do it inside of six months.
Or get it repaired, hopefully break even selling it and then buy something else?
You have several options open to you.
Sort of as nice place to be, having several options, as you have been put in this position anyway and need to replace it one way or another.

Upvote 0
I don’t think break even is going to happen, even for the repair price. However will have a go at negotiating price for the repair and if it’s not acceptable I’d rather start looking for a new machine and hold on to the old one for posterity. Epson 9400 looking very tempting, as looked at £1.5K bracket and decided it won’t meet the combo I need to movies and gaming.

thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0
I don’t think break even is going to happen, even for the repair price. However will have a go at negotiating price for the repair and if it’s not acceptable I’d rather start looking for a new machine and hold on to the old one for posterity. Epson 9400 looking very tempting, as looked at £1.5K bracket and decided it won’t meet the combo I need to movies and gaming.

thanks for the advice.
Many find the TW 9400 to be exceptional value for money. It is a superb projector.

Upvote 0
been certainly many threads just like this. i know a friend who wen x35 ( a tired old unit) to epson 9400 and was very happy with the move ...he would likely be happier with a jvc x5000-x9900 but its not like they were avaialbe or remotely in same price point ! the jvc hardly ever come up and when do certainly worth far more than the 2nd hand epson since the epsons are discounted heavily here. great value and capable of producing excellent results.

Upvote 0
Unless you can find a 50£ spare machine and swap the main board yourself, i would just let it die.
The X35 is a nice projector, and you wont find another brand that can match its image quality potential, not even close.
If you take the money they want for the repair, and look for another used JVC, it should get you a nice X500/ RS49, its basically the same as the X35, except it has quite a bit better motion handling, and a few gimicks like eshift and auto iris.

I just picked up a 65£ spare part X30 today, that made it possible to fix another broke JVC.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom