JVC DLA X3 Warning light issues

marty1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My X3 decided to stop working today, as i changed a 3d bluray over for another one the screen went blank, there was a tiny light in the centre of the pj lens but nothing coming out. I couldn't turn it on ir off via remote so switched mains off and on, then the 3 warning lights came on, lamp light flashing, again i switched it off for a few minutes by the mains but this time when i switched it on it worked fine.

This is a brand new lamp that ive been using for a week or so.

Any ideas?

Marty

I feel your pain mate!

I had about 1 lock up every few months like this caused by switching inputs on the pj. I had a none HDMI 1.4 receiver so had to run two HDMIs to the pj - one direct from the BD deck and one from the receiver (for sky, Xbox and hd-dvd - yes I still watch em!!!).

It happened exactly as you say whenever I'd switch inputs on the pj - a complete freeze followed by the horrible moment of switching it off at the plug and waiting for the explosion of the bulb (which thankfully never came).

I never got it sorted until I replaced the amp with a HDMI 1.4 machine and since I've only been using 1 input on the pj it's never happened since.

Not much help, sorry......!

Mark

This is the well known lock-up phenomenon that was discussed in another thread.

There's a firmware update available from JVC.

I feel your pain mate!

I had about 1 lock up every few months like this caused by switching inputs on the pj. I had a none HDMI 1.4 receiver so had to run two HDMIs to the pj - one direct from the BD deck and one from the receiver (for sky, Xbox and hd-dvd - yes I still watch em!!!).

It happened exactly as you say whenever I'd switch inputs on the pj - a complete freeze followed by the horrible moment of switching it off at the plug and waiting for the explosion of the bulb (which thankfully never came).

I never got it sorted until I replaced the amp with a HDMI 1.4 machine and since I've only been using 1 input on the pj it's never happened since.

Not much help, sorry......!

Mark

That is a help Thanks Mark, it's good to know I'm not alone and that potentially I will not have to take it back, this would have been the 4th JVC PJ that needed taking back, they are fantastic projectors but so unrelyable :mad: I went through 3 HD750's and now the X3 is playing up all in the space of about 4 years :(

This is the well known lock-up phenomenon that was discussed in another thread.

There's a firmware update available from JVC.

How do I install the firmware and where do I get it from?

Marty

How do I install the firmware and where do I get it from?

JVC have it, but whether you can install it yourself is another matter.

My X7 had to go back to them for another problem (poor remote response) along with the lock-up effect.

KHC know all about this, or perhaps GaryB can advise, please?

The software is available to download from:

Support | DLA-X3 Software Download

Go for v1.8

It's simple to install, as long as you read the included instructions first.

Thanks Gary :thumbsup:

I was having a little read on JVC earlier, the lead that I need to install it is a usb-mini usb right? Is that the same lead as what I have with my Samsung Galaxy S3? It's the mini part I'm unsure of but if it is then that's great as it saves me buying a new lead?

It also said that it can cause harm to your pj, is that right or is it just to cover themselves?

Marty

Last edited:
Thanks Gary :thumbsup:

I was having a little read on JVC earlier, the lead that I need to install it is a usb-mini usb right? Is that the same lead as what I have with my Samsung Galaxy S3? It's the mini part I'm unsure of but if it is then that's great as it saves me buying a new lead?

It also said that it can cause harm to your pj, is that right or is it just to cover themselves?

Marty

It's a standard Mini USB as used by older phones, most SD Card readers, HDDs, etc. It's hidden behind a removable cover on the rear of the projector. The S3 uses Micro USB, so that won't work.

The warning is a bottom covering thing, just in case you brick it. AFAIK nobody ever has.

A couple of suggestions. If you're using a laptop, make sure it's mains powered and temporarily disable any Anti-Virus software, just in case it grabs control of the PC while the update is running. Also, remove any other USB devices that you have connected.

One other thing I've just remembered. I don't think the software will work under 64 Bit Windows. It's 32 Bit only.

Last edited:
It's a standard Mini USB as used by older phones, most SD Card readers, HDDs, etc. It's hidden behind a removable cover on the rear of the projector. The S3 uses Micro USB, so that won't work.

The warning is a bottom covering thing, just in case you brick it. AFAIK nobody ever has.

A couple of suggestions. If you're using a laptop, make sure it's mains powered and temporarily disable any Anti-Virus software, just in case it grabs control of the PC while the update is running. Also, remove any other USB devices that you have connected.

Gary, can I update my x90 using the USB method too?
Thanks

One other thing I've just remembered. I don't think the software will work under 64 Bit Windows. It's 32 Bit only.

My laptop is window 7 so i take it it will not work then?

Marty

Windows 7 32 Bit will work but AFAIK 64 bit won't.

I have heard that it works OK on Win7 Ultimate using an XP VM emulation.

I have windows 7 64bit. So is it worth trying it or will it only work with an emulator? Not sure how to use an emulator :(

How would I be able to tell if it hasn't worked?

Marty

1.8 is described as "HDMI 1.4 improvement", what is that improvement?

am I right in thinking applying this does not affect any of the stored settings?

I have heard that it works OK on Win7 Ultimate using an XP VM emulation.
I have done that before, win7 enterprise 64bit with xp mode. Sample instructions here

That looks a bit too complicated for my tiny brain :eek:

I'm worried I may destroy my computer as I am a complete numpty when it comes to computers :(

Marty

That looks a bit too complicated for my tiny brain :eek:

I'm worried I may destroy my computer as I am a complete numpty when it comes to computers :(

Marty

The easiest option is to see if you can borrow something running Windows XP. Any old PC will do, as long as it has a USB socket.

The easiest option is to see if you can borrow something running Windows XP. Any old PC will do, as long as it has a USB socket.

I will try and have a look around Thanks Gary :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if i missed something but if I was to try and apply the firmware using what I currently have how can I tell if it has worked or not?

Marty

Marty1,

the instructions tell you at the end how to check at if the update has worked. It's all a really simple process if you follow the instructions to the letter.

I will give it a try with my laptop first and if no joy I will have to try and find someone with a laptop that will work.

Marty

Okay the problems getting worse, I can't find anyone that does not have Windows 7 :(

So I am going to have to figure out how to put XP on my laptop. The cable that I need to connect to the pj, is someone able to attach a link for me so that I can be sure to order the right one please?

Thank You.

Marty

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom