JVC DLA-NZ8 4K Laser Projector Review & Comments

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'd like to ask you a question.
What do you think about replacing a JVC N5 + envy pro with a new JVC NZ7 + envy pro?
Could it make sense or isn't it worth it?
Thank you.
It depends, First off, what is your room like? Is it bat cave or living room?

It’s a small dedicated room, with black painted walls and a 120” darkstar9 screen

At that image size, I can't see what you'd gain from upgrading. I'd probably concentrate on room treatments and as Strids said, your screen.

At that image size, I can't see what you'd gain from upgrading. I'd probably concentrate on room treatments and as Strids said, your screen.
Exactly.

A few things things though, the laser projected image has its own characteristics, that is very stable and calm, pleasing to the eye. If that is worth your hard earned along with instant on/off and no lamp replacement and once in a few years calibration, than yes its a good upgrade path.

A few things things though, the laser projected image has its own characteristics, that is very stable and calm, pleasing to the eye. If that is worth your hard earned along with instant on/off and no lamp replacement and once in a few years calibration, than yes its a good upgrade path.
It’s not instant on. I watched a video of an nz turning on and it’s still not as fast as competition

Just installed a NZ8 and enjoying it. Does anyone notice occasional flashing of white rectangles? especially at native 4K and 60Hz or above refresh rate. I think it goes away when I turn off 8K e-shift.

Just installed a NZ8 and enjoying it. Does anyone notice occasional flashing of white rectangles? especially at native 4K and 60Hz or above refresh rate. I think it goes away when I turn off 8K e-shift.
Note something I’ve noticed. Is it in any particular area of the screen or popping up in random places?

Note something I’ve noticed. Is it in any particular area of the screen or popping up in random places?
They pop up at random places around the screen, but I believe the rectangles are always the same size

Hi All,
Im currently working in Japan where the DLA-NZ8 is known as the DLA-V80R, it retails at £10,600 but I have been quoted under 10k Plus a 10% tax free discount as a non Japanese resident ,6k+ cheaper than the uk, i can get it shipped free so only vat to pay.
Can anyone give me a reason that this would not be a good idea as I am in a quandary as what to do .

Hi All,
Im currently working in Japan where the DLA-NZ8 is known as the DLA-V80R, it retails at £10,600 but I have been quoted under 10k Plus a 10% tax free discount as a non Japanese resident ,6k+ cheaper than the uk, i can get it shipped free so only vat to pay.
Can anyone give me a reason that this would not be a good idea as I am in a quandary as what to do .
I believe the warranty support is regional.

Thanks,
yes I’m sure it is, I’m weighing up the risk of something going wrong with the huge cost reduction

Thanks,
yes I’m sure it is, I’m weighing up the risk of something going wrong with the huge cost reduction
You’ve still got to add on 20% VAT, 14% Duty (for projectors) and then you are back up to around the cost of an NZ7. Personally I think it’s a lot of money to not have a warranty just to save ~4K.

I think I'd see if repair is possible if you did have a problem, would JVC just repair and invoice you ? I assume so, but they might be more troublesome if it was seen as a grey import. I m not sure if there is a failure issue with the NZ8 and what possible repair costs might be, one would hope less than £4k. But for this you are getting a solid warranty, piece of mind, potentially better resale value etc

I can see the dilemma, but support of a good dealer does have some value one would hope

I think I'd see if repair is possible if you did have a problem, would JVC just repair and invoice you ? I assume so, but they might be more troublesome if it was seen as a grey import. I m not sure if there is a failure issue with the NZ8 and what possible repair costs might be, one would hope less than £4k. But for this you are getting a solid warranty, piece of mind, potentially better resale value etc

I can see the dilemma, but support of a good dealer does have some value one would hope

PS I THINK insurance for projector transportation is also difficult

So you are looking at £11660 incl VAT. Call it 12k. 3.7k lower than UK retail. Any import duty on that? (edit, apparently 14%!)
You could haggle down the UK price a fair bit by what others have said in the past.
Peace of mind is worth a lot.
Ultimately, only you know how much risk you are willing to take.

Last edited:
If you're determined to save money and can live with the warranty side, how does Germany pricing look? I haven't checked recently, but the saving might be enough for you take the same risk, however, you at least get an easier time with back and fourth shipping/self transportation for repair VS Japan.

Is there also options of self warranty, Domestic & General etc, not sure if worth it or not but may be an option if not covered fully, some people must move countries with their jobs etc…

Hi All,
thank you for all your replies. I have no shipping cost plus I am told no import duty on projectors. Plus I have another 10% of retail. Insurance is covered by the shipping agent.
I know I sound like I’m trying to talk myself into this but it’s such a big price difference. The NZ7 is an even better deal !
This place is AV heaven.

There is VAT and import duty unless it's being technially 'smuggled in'..

This site shows 20% VAT and 3.7% duty :-

I have a very good friend at the shipping company !

Is there also options of self warranty, Domestic & General etc, not sure if worth it or not but may be an option if not covered fully, some people must move countries with their jobs etc…
D&G don't touch projectors.

Tried it for one of my N5s. They said it's too expensive.

Very informative. Thank you. So sad I just can’t believe the price difference . I will probably end up buying one in the uk, it’s just so tempting!

Very informative. Thank you. So sad I just can’t believe the price difference . I will probably end up buying one in the uk, it’s just so tempting!

I think just buy UK. Even if you have to get an NZ7 rather than an NZ8.

JVCs are known to fail, especially brand new with the DD board thing from last gen. Last thing you want is vertical striples 1-2 years from now on or something similar. They're already known to be one of the worst companies to get support from.

Objective testing wise, NZ7 vs NZ8 doesn't seem huge from a calibrated light output perspective surprisingly and the contrast measurements if opened up look similar so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom