JVC DLA-NZ8 4K Laser Projector Review & Comments

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Anyone in the UK (or other) recieve their NZ8 in the last two weeks, or got delivery information for an upcoming delivery? I heard nothing from the distributor on my NZ8 delivery for three weeks. He says he gets no information from JVC at all at the moment. They initiallly said it would arrive three weeks ago..

Im wondering if production in the thai factory is still going, or completely stopped.
I’m pretty sure all new units will be coming from Japan. I’m not expecting delivery until late spring/early summer.

Nodular

I managed to get a NZ7, and even with a few user setting I’ve made, the PQ is superb. Even my wife and kids said it looks amazing 🙂 Roll on Gordon coming round to carry out a full calibration 👍

Mick R

Anyone in the UK (or other) recieve their NZ8 in the last two weeks, or got delivery information for an upcoming delivery? I heard nothing from the distributor on my NZ8 delivery for three weeks. He says he gets no information from JVC at all at the moment. They initiallly said it would arrive three weeks ago..

Im wondering if production in the thai factory is still going, or completely stopped.
Ive been advised by my dealer last week that mine should arrive from JVC mid February so hopefully very soon, it will then take a few days to get to the dealer so all being well I should get it before the end of the month, mines been on order since September.

Drem

Ive been advised by my dealer last week that mine should arrive from JVC mid February so hopefully very soon, it will then take a few days to get to the dealer so all being well I should get it before the end of the month, mines been on order since September.

That's great. That would mean it's not a complete stop in deliveries, if true. If you get any new info, please share the news. I keep annoying the distibutor a few times every week but he does not get any info from JVC at all since a few weeks back. Very frustrating :(

Nodular

With you guys struggling to get your projectors, I feel pretty lucky to of got my NZ7 so quickly. Having it calibrated next Thurs 🙂

Mick R

That's great. That would mean it's not a complete stop in deliveries, if true. If you get any new info, please share the news. I keep annoying the distibutor a few times every week but he does not get any info from JVC at all since a few weeks back. Very frustrating :(
Will do, but being advised and getting could be two different things, I live in hope though 🙏🏻

burtonpark

I managed to get a NZ7, and even with a few user setting I’ve made, the PQ is superb. Even my wife and kids said it looks amazing 🙂 Roll on Gordon coming round to carry out a full calibration 👍
Interested in maybe upgrading from my LS10500, and see LS10000 in your sig, so hoping you can share your experience.

What improvements did you notice about the NZ7 picture vs the LS10000?

How does the operating noise compare?

Drem

Will do, but being advised and getting could be two different things, I live in hope though 🙏🏻
I actually got news from the distributor that JVC informed him today that my NZ8 will be here in March. Pray to the gods that‘s going to happen 🙏

graticular

I have an NZ9 on order and have been thinking about making a bigger screen than my current 100". There are limitations on space but I have some flexibility. I have a pretty good bat cave now (mainly black velvet) and pillar boxes at the side (if I move the screen along) are totally invisible with my NX7, but letter box bars top and bottom are visible during scope films, but not massively so, this presumably being a function of less than perfect blacks on the NX7.

From Steve's excellent review of the NZ8 and Kris Deering's of the NZ9 it would appear that black levels have improved somewhat, so I was wondering if anyone had thoughts or experience of whether the improved blacks would reduce the visibility of the letter box bars?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I have an NZ9 on order and have been thinking about making a bigger screen than my current 100". There are limitations on space but I have some flexibility. I have a pretty good bat cave now (mainly black velvet) and pillar boxes at the side (if I move the screen along) are totally invisible with my NX7, but letter box bars top and bottom are visible during scope films, but not massively so, this presumably being a function of less than perfect blacks on the NX7.

From Steve's excellent review of the NZ8 and Kris Deering's of the NZ9 it would appear that black levels have improved somewhat, so I was wondering if anyone had thoughts or experience of whether the improved blacks would reduce the visibility of the letter box bars?

Letter box bars will never be black on any projector or close with bright content. The light reflected from the projector will leak into black bars.

If this is your wanted task, I suggest you invest in a masking system ASAP.

The laser dimming won't save you on this either. Even the most expensive home AV rooms have masking systems despite owning NX9s and NZ9s for a reason.

graticular

Letter box bars will never be black on any projector or close with bright content. The light reflected from the projector will leak into black bars.

If this is your wanted task, I suggest you invest in a masking system ASAP.

The laser dimming won't save you on this either. Even the most expensive home AV rooms have masking systems despite owning NX9s and NZ9s for a reason.
I don't think I am getting much in the way of reflections as the vertical pillar box bars are invisible, as is a piece of white paper pinned to the side of the screen.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I don't think I am getting much in the way of reflections as the vertical pillar box bars are invisible, as is a piece of white paper pinned to the side of the screen.

No commercial PJ is giving you jet black bars in bright scenes IMO and if you're upgrading for that, you'd be better off getting a high end electronic masking system to do it properly IMO.

But each to their own.

I have MVEL22 masking either side as reference and the PJ NEVER gets as black as MVEL22. Even with iris closed because the N series DI only closes to about -15 and leaves light seeping in.

groesbeek

I use a 1.0 2:1 screen (good for IMAX enhanced and many Netflix films). For scope I lower the image to the bottom which is then level with my eyes, so that the only black bar is way away to the top and pretty much out of my FOV (50° horizontal). I have a masking system, but with the NZ8 I don’t bother with it any more in my dark room. Sure, you can see the bars if you focus on them, but with the improved blacks on dark scenes, and then the better contrast on bright ones, I really don’t notice them. With the improved optical block there is also no ghosting like there was on the NX (N) series.

burtonpark

I use a 1.0 2:1 screen (good for IMAX enhanced and many Netflix films). For scope I lower the image to the bottom which is then level with my eyes, so that the only black bar is way away to the top and pretty much out of my FOV (50° horizontal). I have a masking system, but with the NZ8 I don’t bother with it any more in my dark room. Sure, you can see the bars if you focus on them, but with the improved blacks on dark scenes, and then the better contrast on bright ones, I really don’t notice them. With the improved optical block there is also no ghosting like there was on the NX (N) series.
I recently changed from scope to a 2:1 screen as well, and find I prefer the resultant image sizes with non scope formats as I found 16:9 image A bit small before.

I also drop Scope images down to bottom borders (if there’s no subtitles).
I find the 16:9 vertical left and right no picture area does mpact me more than the horizontal.
a couple of queries?
what’s your throw distance and How wide is your screen?
Do you use panel width of 3840 or 4096, I’m wondering if the extra 4K pixels produces any extra light border on the left and right of the screen in A 16:9 image and off Screen in a scope image?

panman40

Distinguished Member
Ghosting on the N series ?, could you explain that a little please ?.

If you have something like the OPPO screen saver that moves around on a black background you will on most JVC projectors see streaking, and ghosting, like the logo, is reflected to another part of the screen, a faint blurry light, also have like a halo around the logo, that's the same effect on all bright objects, you just don't see it much with movie material, but it is part of what makes JVC projectors have fairly low ansi contrast in general.

groesbeek

While viewing e.g., white end credits on a black background, you can see a light reflection / grey blur of the rough size of the credits typically to the left and higher that moves in the opposite direction. Also on content like the Bond opening gun barrel sequence where there is “ghost” of the white circle. You won’t see it if you have a lot of vertical lens shift. This was one of the specific items JVC improved on the NZ8/9 with the new optical block.

groesbeek

I recently changed from scope to a 2:1 screen as well, and find I prefer the resultant image sizes with non scope formats as I found 16:9 image A bit small before.

I find the 16:9 vertical left and right no picture area does mpact me more than the horizontal.
a couple of queries?
Do you use panel width of 3840 or 4096, I’m wondering if the extra 4K pixels produces any extra light border on the left and right of the screen in A 16:9 image and off Screen in a scope image?
I sit 11 feet from a 330 cm wide screen. I agree - the side bars on 16:9 are more in my field of view than the top bar on scopes, but again not enough to bother me. I use Zoom for scope and 2:1 (using the extra pixels) but native for 16:9.

burtonpark

I sit 11 feet from a 330 cm wide screen. I agree - the side bars on 16:9 are more in my field of view than the top bar on scopes, but again not enough to bother me. I use Zoom for scope and 2:1 (using the extra pixels) but native for 16:9.
Thanks, our sitting and projection distances are near identical, my screen gain is a bit lower as it’s an AT screen, its good to know using the full panel in scope works for you as I have 4.75m max throw, which is on the limit for the NZ8 (using full panel) according to the calculator, and a NZ9 is too expensive.

What power mode do you operate the NZ8 in?

Attachments

• 1436F9D2-B601-435C-8648-60567FD22AD9.png
    1436F9D2-B601-435C-8648-60567FD22AD9.png
    315.2 KB · Views: 21

groesbeek

Thanks, our sitting and projection distances are near identical, my screen gain is a bit lower as it’s an AT screen, its good to know using the full panel in scope works for you as I have 4.75m max throw, which is on the limit for the NZ8 (using full panel) according to the calculator, and a NZ9 is too expensive.

What power mode do you operate the NZ8 in?
Mid for HDR Iris 0, low for SDR Iris -6.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Mid for HDR Iris 0, low for SDR Iris -6.

Is your room fully treated batcave? Any photos mate? (sorry if I've asked before.. always forget who I've asked this of).

graticular

a couple of queries?

Thanks - that's pretty much what I was hoping for. So it would seem that I could maximise screen size as far as the room allows, and any bars would not matter too much.
One thing that did surprise me was that you find the side bars worse. I would have thought that as these areas are unlit by the PJ then in a dark room they would be nearly invisible. Do you have any reflective surfaces?

graticular

Steve, one thing you said in the review:
"The addition of HDMI 2.1 has an unexpected but welcome benefit when it comes to the projector locking on to a signal. While the N7 frequently left me looking at a black screen for four or five seconds, the NZ8 locks on to a signal almost immediately."
In order to experience this presumably you would also need a suitable HDMI cable? Also would you need an HDMI 2.1 receiver? - I have the (unmodified) Lyngdorf MP-50.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV