JVC DLA-NX9 4K Projector Review & Comments

The only projector that would tempt me over OLED picture but sadly it’s too expensive!

The only projector that would tempt me over OLED picture but sadly it’s too expensive!
Not sure I totally agree with that comment, a PJ and TV picture are different beasts and people generally use the different display types for different things. Also my Panny FZ OLED I think has less detail in the blacks than my JVC x7900 did, maybe screen size effects that who knows. Everyone hypes the OLEDs but they’re also not a perfect solution, don’t think there is one..
Anyway, when I win the lottery I’ll buy 2 of these please!!!! :)

Thanks for another cracking review!

I'm currently using a JVC x9500 and contemplated for a time moving on to the NX7, taking a contrast hit as I understand things, but gaining in the auto tone mapping for HDR. Is it a worth while upgrade from my current machine (dedicated space) vs additional outlay?

Why did JVC ditch the motorised lens covers on this line?

Not sure I totally agree with that comment, a PJ and TV picture are different beasts and people generally use the different display types for different things. Also my Panny FZ OLED I think has less detail in the blacks than my JVC x7900 did, maybe screen size effects that who knows. Everyone hypes the OLEDs but they’re also not a perfect solution, don’t think there is one..
Anyway, when I win the lottery I’ll buy 2 of these please!!!! :)
Fair enough... I’ll only buy 1! :)

It has got the Z1's lens assembly,i think.Are these really selling well,the well off enthusiasts are not going straight to Z1?

I ended up with the NX9 coming from a Sony 870es projector. I find it quite impressive. The Frame by Frame is a big plus :)

At £20k I'd definitely want a laser and not a bulb. JVC will be replacing the Z1 soon I assume ?

At £20k I'd definitely want a laser and not a bulb. JVC will be replacing the Z1 soon I assume ?

Taken from the AV Forums review of the Z1:

The Bad
  • Poor black levels and contrast ratios
  • The chassis is huge
  • Puts out a lot of heat
  • Cooling is noisy
  • Very expensive
I think I'd rather buy a lamp based projector (NX9) and save a lot of money over a potential Z1 successor. Better blacks, quieter design and a lot of spare change in comparison.

Is it just the black floor that is raised perceptibly vs say x7900 or x9900 rather than appreciable loss in contrast - ie is it just bc it is brighter overall? 126k:1 should not look different to 130k or even 160k on the above models? Also surprised it measured so well in contrast - I thought consensus was that contrast had taken a more profound hit and jvc were taking liberties with measurements they declared vs their historically accurate ratios?

The Bad
  • The chassis is huge
  • Puts out a lot of heat
  • Cooling is noisy
  • Very expensive
I think I'd rather buy a lamp based projector (NX9) and save a lot of money over a potential Z1 successor. Better blacks, quieter design and a lot of spare change in comparison.

Z1 chucks out a lot of light though
Epson showed in can be done at more modest light levels without all the above necessarily......and that was what 5 years ago. Surely nx9 level lumens can be achieved. I’d want laser too if I was spending that much. There is no future proofing but buying with no laser would hurt to much when laser arrives

The Bad
  • The chassis is huge
  • Puts out a lot of heat
  • Cooling is noisy
  • Very expensive

The early Z1 software was improved. I saw the Z1 compared to the JVC bulb based projectors, a big step forward. The Epson is only 24,000:1 contrast, but better blacks isn’t something I crave, it’s more about the motion, artefacts and colour solidity and overall look, beyond a certain point for me. My local small cinema has one screen that I adore, even though the black levels are clearly not the best. When motion is handled well and colours are spot on there is a realism that I appreciate

I have seen the N5 and N7 on several occasions and they are very good, but they wouldn’t tempt me to junk the LS10,500, as they are not better enough

I saw the big Sim2 and that was superb, but I don’t think measures amazingly well

Would have been very interesting with some color and contrast uniformity measurements, as thats where JVC is struggeling the most to maintain some fair tolerances.

Great review as usual, however I don't think soaking it will help as water and electronics don't mix. :D

Regrading the finances, if you hadn't put a deposit down on the New Ford Mach E GT and the New Tesla Cybertruck, you could have put a deposit down on an N9. :D

Keep up the good work.

Bill

I’ve been tempted by this for a while as I don’t think the N7 would give me a big enough upgrade over my 7900 especially as I have a lumagen for HDR tone mapping, however, the price is just too steep for a bulb based projector IMO. I’d guess it kicks out a brilliant image, but you’ll still have the same issues that you get with any bulb based projector.

I would have hoped by now that epson had come out with a successor to the 10500 but they seem very quiet on that front at the moment.

I’ve been tempted by this for a while as I don’t think the N7 would give me a big enough upgrade over my 7900 especially as I have a lumagen for HDR tone mapping, however, the price is just too steep for a bulb based projector IMO. I’d guess it kicks out a brilliant image, but you’ll still have the same issues that you get with any bulb based projector.

I would have hoped by now that epson had come out with a successor to the 10500 but they seem very quiet on that front at the moment.
Agree
Agree
And agree some more

We need comparisons for people who already use external tone mapping solution like madVR or Lumagen.
I use madVR with my X5900 and it looks stunning , so not sure how much of an upgrade N7 or even NX9 would be when u take away the internal tone mapping, i m sure it ll be sharper but that might just be it since even contrast took a hit on the new models.
I really applaud JVC for supporting their product and adding the DTM solution build in which a game changer for a lot of people who just want to plug and play.
If the NX9 was lazer with their excellent lazer dimming i would buy it without hesitation, but 18k is too much when u have N7 for less than half and 90% of the performance.

Yup. Bulb seems backwards as heck on a PJ in this price category. But then I would say that, wouldn't I? I'm clutching here. :rotfl:

It has got the Z1's lens assembly,i think.Are these really selling well,the well off enthusiasts are not going straight to Z1?

The Z1 was discontinued about 6 months ago. I was offered JVC's last demo one at a stupid price but i couldn't find anyone who wanted to buy it....which is a pity, as it's awesome. I expect when the replacement eventually arrives it will be superb too as Sony need some competition to the VW870 and more importantly, the VW5000

The Z1 was discontinued about 6 months ago. I was offered JVC's last demo one at a stupid price but i couldn't find anyone who wanted to buy it....which is a pity, as it's awesome. I expect when the replacement eventually arrives it will be superb too as Sony need some competition to the VW870 and more importantly, the VW5000
I m looking to buy a Z1 for a ridiculous price but dont kniw where to get those lol.

I just didn't/don't have room for one, so opted for a VW760ES instead. The bulkier form of the Z1 and longer throw requirement were factors in that choice, as well as price/performance ratio obviously. I'm very happy with my Sony and will see what's what in another 5 years.

Last edited:
I just didn't/don't have room for one, so opted for a VW760ES instead. The bulkier form of the Z1 and longer throw requirement are were factors in that choice, as well as price/value ratio obviously. I'm very happy with my Sony and will see what's what in another 5 years.

Kind of my thinking too.
Also in 5 years, the brightness should be little changed from now thanks to the laser light engine. :):cool:

I m looking to buy a Z1 for a ridiculous price but dont kniw where to get those lol.

I have seen the JVC RS3000 for 17500 euros from an european vendor,the RS2000 for 7500.
The UK street prices may be lower than RRP too.
The Benq X12000H is 7000 pounds here and it would be great if it gets reviewed by AVF.

Last edited:
I have seen the JVC RS3000 for 17500 euros from an european vendor,the RS2000 for 7500.
The UK street prices may be lower than RRP too.
The Benq X12000H is 7000 pounds here and it would be great if AVF can review it.
A company whose name shall not be spoken on these forums was selling the NX9 (might still be) for £12000 recently.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom