JVC DLA-NP5 Native 4K D-ILA Projector Review & Comments

good review Phil. looks like another winner for sure but does not look like the NP5 takes the game on too much from my existing N5 so i guess my beleaguered bank balance is safe until maybe the cost of the laser models comes down....so never then!

Still loving my X7900, stunning image! What happened to the NX models? If i were to upgrade is this one reviewed here better than the NX7?

]
Still loving my X7900, stunning image! What happened to the NX models? If i were to upgrade is this one reviewed here better than the NX7?

Better? Not really, just a few more bells and whistles like the new hdmi board.

Is there a big noise difference between this and the NZ7 particularly when in HDR mode.

My current projector the x5500 I find too noisy to use in HDR mode

Is there a big noise difference between this and the NZ7 particularly when in HDR mode.

Depends on laser mode, medium laser is similar to low lamp in noise, but should be as bright as your x5500 in high lamp (if not brighter).

]

Better? Not really, just a few more bells and whistles like the new hdmi board.
The NX7 has better contrast - measured at 70,000:1 in Steve Withers’ 2019 review (claimed contrast of 80,000:1). The NP5 has measured contrast of only 29,000:1 in Phil Hinton’s review (claimed contrast of 40,000:1).

I’m still loving my X5900 as well. Stunning image from my viewpoint, but I haven’t seen a native projector to compare against..

I just think JVC are missing an important segment of the enthusiasts market, with no real replacement for the old DILA models.

The new NZ models are totally out of my budget, no doubt they will be amazing. Even this bulb based NP5 is a significant step up in price over the older models.

Think I’ll stick with the old X5900 for the time being, maybe some day pick up a native projector on classifieds…

The NX7 has better contrast - measured at 70,000:1 in Steve Withers’ 2019 review (claimed contrast of 80,000:1). The NP5 has measured contrast of only 29,000:1 in Phil Hinton’s review (claimed contrast of 40,000:1).
Not sure that means much, I’ve seen massively varying contrast ratios across all models, typically you won’t get anywhere near 70000:1 off most nx7 unless you are incredibly lucky. 29000:1 is as good as most nx7’s I’ve seen measured.

I know my nx9 is less than that, but blacks still looking amazing.

I was told that despite the claims the reality was that the NX range roughly delivered the same native contrast. Maybe depending on screen size or placement this might change.

The 70,000:1 Steve measured was "best" case for the NX7 which I took it to mean long throw with the aperture closed down and possibly not in a calibrated mode the same as how JVC obtain their figures.

The reality is 29,000:1 is a very good result for the NP5 Phil tested at mid throw, aperture wide open and calibrated. This is similar to how the majority of people will be actually using theirs in the real world and most N series will likely fall into the 25-30k:1 range under those conditions.

Last edited:

I still find my NP5 too noisy in high lamp mode, but that can be said for the 5 or 6 PJ's I've had in there over the years. To be honest I don't really miss the brightness once I'd had it calibrated.

Dan

I still find my NP5 too noisy in high lamp mode, but that can be said for the 5 or 6 PJ's I've had in there over the years. To be honest I don't really miss the brightness once I'd had it calibrated.

Dan
The noise is the one thing which puts me off a NP5 besides being lamp based when I'd planned for my next pj to be laser.

Had been considering a XW5000 but the JVC offers so much more... better lens, black floor, bit gradation, lens memory etc.

My NP5 finally arrived today, very happy with it so far as an upgrade to my X7, but I suspect my Marantz 7702 (mk1) doesn't pass through HDR... >_< Might have to wait a while before trying to convince the other half that the home cinema needs a new processor to go with the new PJ.

The noise is the one thing which puts me off a NP5 besides being lamp based when I'd planned for my next pj to be laser.

Had been considering a XW5000 but the JVC offers so much more... better lens, black floor, bit gradation, lens memory etc.
Its no noisier than any laser PJ we have had here. it just depends on what setting you are on.

Dan

The 70,000:1 Steve measured was "best" case for the NX7 which I took it to mean long throw with the aperture closed down and possibly not in a calibrated mode the same as how JVC obtain their figures.

The reality is 29,000:1 is a very good result for the NP5 Phil tested at mid throw, aperture wide open and calibrated. This is similar to how the majority of people will be actually using theirs in the real world and most N series will likely fall into the 25-30k:1 range under those conditions.
This seems reasonable. Apart from the HDMI 2.1/4k120 I am not sure there is any reason to update from my NX7? I like to look of the new lasers but the price is a little too much for me at the moment.

This seems reasonable. Apart from the HDMI 2.1/4k120 I am not sure there is any reason to update from my NX7? I like to look of the new lasers but the price is a little too much for me at the moment.
If you are not stepping up to a laser and not really needing the HDMI 2.1 for gaming then there isn’t much reason to look at the NP5.

I’d even question how much of an upgrade the NZ7 would be from a NX7 as you have basically the same optics and lose the colour filter.

I'm upgrading to one of these for my semi-dedicated room build. Have had (still using) a Sony HW40ES since 2014 on a 106" 16:9 screen- looks very good to me so really looking forward to seeing what the NP5 can do - will be firing at a 160" 16:9. It's currently in its box in my kitchen waiting for the room decoration then install.

If anyone wants to sell their older N5 model at reasonable price to upgrade to this, then let me know ;-)

Also Phil I see you said "The lens performance is also superb with excellent uniformity of sharpness from corner to corner" - did you test this objectively in any way or just subjective quick glance at screen?

I'd just be interested to know exactly how sharp it is at long (4m+) throw and large screen (3m) and with a maximum side shift to one side - this is usually where lens is weakest away from center.

I found below 1080P text pattern is the best for assessing lens sharpness and it certainly shows up my crappy Sony lens as completely rubbish on the far side that is shifted left (I can't fit PJ direct to screen in room)

052c933b_NEC_pattern_1.png

Have got mine in place now - looking very nice at 160".

I will get it calibrated after some burn-in however are there any recommended settings to run at in the meantime? I have been testing on various 4K/HDR content and I have noticed that in some scenes the dark areas are very dark to the point where the detail is gone. Can post a picture later.

So I am rookie at all this but here's an example from No Time To Die. Here is a shot of Bond and his tie from near the start - first on my PC monitor (BenQ 32")

1675284881184.png

Now clearly it is quite a dark tie, but on the monitor you can make out a few blue pattern squares, and if you look closely, the horizontal lines of the pattern as well (ignore the monitor moire effect from the photo)

1675284996229.png

If we compare to the JVC, the tie here is basically just black

1675285046172.png

You can just about make out the left hand blue square - certainly no lines

1675285073914.png

The NP5 is just at out-of-the-box settings, so wondering if there are any killer levers to pull to improve it, ahead of the calibration.

Things you could do to help do a partial calibration is the balance the contrast and brightness, if you can hook up your PC to the projector a quick search for test patterns will find you suitable ones to set the brightness and contrast. Alternatively you could buy a calibration disc for this from the likes of Spears & Munsil from the likes of Amazon or another cheaper one is Perfect Picture, either will allow you set both correctly.

Also maybe I ask what is the Iris setting and if this movie is 4K HDR, if so then what have you set the Theatre Optimizer, is it on Low/Mid or High. I did watch this movie but didn’t take any pics from that scene, if you want to compare what some I did take you can check mine here. BTW these were also took when my N5 was new and before it was calibrated but I did adjust the above settings with my Spears & Munsil disc.

Meant to say if the Blu ray was just 1080P you should also check to see what the gamma setting is, 2.2 gives more shadow detail right on of the box compared to 2.4.

Last edited:
Things you could do to help do a partial calibration is the balance the contrast and brightness, if you can hook up your PC to the projector a quick search for test patterns will find you suitable ones to set the brightness and contrast. Alternatively you could buy a calibration disc for this from the likes of Spears & Munsil from the likes of Amazon or another cheaper one is Perfect Picture, either will allow you set both correctly.

Also maybe I ask what is the Iris setting and if this movie is 4K HDR, if so then what have you set the Theatre Optimizer, is it on Low/Mid or High. I did watch this movie but didn’t take any pics from that scene, if you want to compare what some I did take you can check mine here. BTW these were also took when my N5 was new and before it was calibrated but I did adjust the above settings with my Spears & Munsil disc.

Meant to say if the Blu ray was just 1080P you should also check to see what the gamma setting is, 2.2 gives more shadow detail right on of the box compared to 2.4.
Thanks - I will take a look at all that.

I forgot to mention yes it was 4K HDR. Will check the Theatre Optimiser setting shortly.

What are some of the best mounts for this? Apparently my last JVC was too old and the old Chief mount too small.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom