JVC DLA-N7 4K D-ILA Projector – First Look & Comments

Definitely worth a post in the owners thread. I have a calibrator coming soon to do a calibration and I'll ask his thoughts.
Posted in owners thread and someone else is seeing the same with the auto setting. It's definitely not selecting the same value as before

reading 2 threads now...

Will be interesting if other find the same issue.

definitely not seeing anything untoward. nothing short of stunning is what am seeing :D

that said there is a lot of scope of adjustability still with these ...so am sure can still dial into perfection.

definitely not seeing anything untoward. nothing short of stunning is what am seeing :D

that said there is a lot of scope of adjustability still with these ...so am sure can still dial into perfection.
I just can't understand what has changed on the standard frame adapt auto setting? Wonder woman for example set on auto would look stunning, now it's too dark🤔. I can dial it in at 0 or 1 but can't understand why the auto now seems to be making an incorrect choice with the apl?

I just can't understand what has changed on the standard frame adapt auto setting? Wonder woman for example set on auto would look stunning, now it's too dark🤔. I can dial it in at 0 or 1 but can't understand why the auto now seems to be making an incorrect choice with the apl?

its a VERY significant change as its looking at all your projection parameters. if using the ht optimiser with low medium high. if not using it there is indeed auto and levels... your choice...

I have wonder woman.. great disc :D any particular section ? am happy to check out for you :) stunning movie :D

@clioisadog I never got a response re any particular sections of wonder woman that were seeing as an issue. so ended up checking out and taking some screen shots anyways.... its most definitely pretty stunning. am not seeing any issues.... but have posted for you to look over in the candy thread a multitude of scenes, inside outdoors, different subjects lighting etc... all look fantastic :D

I had a chance to update the firmware today. I have always been using the Low lamp mode and now with the Theater Optimizer set to High, I can see a positive difference comparable to when my HDR level was previously set at High when using Frame Adapt HDR on FW ver3.10.

for reference, my screen size is 100" and my screen gain is 1.0.

@clioisadog I never got a response re any particular sections of wonder woman that were seeing as an issue. so ended up checking out and taking some screen shots anyways.... its most definitely pretty stunning. am not seeing any issues.... but have posted for you to look over in the candy thread a multitude of scenes, inside outdoors, different subjects lighting etc... all look fantastic :D

Thanks for the pics, my issue is that before on 3.1 I had frame adapt at Auto on low lamp and it looked like your pics. Now on 3.50 frame adapt auto is so dim and I'm having to set frame adapt at 1 and TO at high to get it how it looked before the update. I just can't understand what's changed with how jvc now takes into account the apl on frame adapt hdr auto?

I had a chance to update the firmware today. I have always been using the Low lamp mode and now with the Theater Optimizer set to High, I can see a positive difference comparable to when my HDR level was previously set at High when using Frame Adapt HDR on FW ver3.10.

for reference, my screen size is 100" and my screen gain is 1.0.
have the same screen size and gain and I'm finding High is looking the best too. Auto now seems to dim whereas before it was bang on.

Thanks for the pics, my issue is that before on 3.1 I had frame adapt at Auto on low lamp and it looked like your pics. Now on 3.50 frame adapt auto is so dim and I'm having to set frame adapt at 1 and TO at high to get it how it looked before the update. I just can't understand what's changed with how jvc now takes into account the apl on frame adapt hdr auto?
hi, it would be one or other ? TO on high OR frame adapt on 1 ?

from what i understand its TO that new, the existing frame adapt has been expanded with the 5 levels rather than 3 before.

was your unit calibrated prior ? maybe worth consulting with the calibrator. quite possible it is even just one setting out ? worth checking maybe

have the same screen size and gain and I'm finding High is looking the best too. Auto now seems to dim whereas before it was bang on.

today I changed my BT2020 setting from Normal to Wide and I felt that made a positive difference, at least to my own eyes. do give that a try and you may like it :)

today I changed my BT2020 setting from Normal to Wide and I felt that made a positive difference, at least to my own eyes. do give that a try and you may like it :)
Your missing out on the full pci3 colour doing that so I'd definitely recommend keeping that to wide. With a little more watching I found mid to be the best as high was over cooking some highlights

Your missing out on the full pci3 colour doing that so I'd definitely recommend keeping that to wide. With a little more watching I found mid to be the best as high was over cooking some highlights

dont want other way around BT2020 as wide actually gives you the wide filter for WCG over 100% of DCI p3 ...BT2020 normal doesnt run the filter (so dont get 100% p3 its still over 80% though I think) but you do gain about 10% more light....choice is yours ...

Last edited:

you are right about this - I don't think I have ever played with this setting before. I don't think this setting was explicitly called out in the previous instruction manual for Frame Adapt HDR FW3.10. I only stumbled across this setting in a youtube video where the JVC guy was walking through the new menu and settings for FW3.50.

@Steve Withers great update on the 3.50 firmware, I totally agree with your findings. I tried the update on a loan N7 while I was waiting for a replacement and like you I found that the frame Adapt setting was now too dim on auto and I was now having to play about with different settings to get the image right. Before the update I just set the frame adapt to Auto and always had a great image. Luckily my replacement had the old 3.1 and I have no plans to update as for me 3.1 frame adapt Auto just seems to get it right.

N7 up and running. All seems well with 4K discs via Oppo 203 but I have an issue with any 4K content from Apple 4K TV.

The menus on Netflix and Disney + look fine but all content is then very dark and really unwatchable. I’ve played with various N7 HDR settings but nothing is changing. The Mandalorian and Queens Gambit are very dark and nothing like the same as they were on the X7000 when viewing in 4K SDR rather than HDR.

Has anyone else experienced and overcome this please?
Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
N7 up and running. All seems well with 4K discs via Oppo 203 but I have an issue with any 4K content from Apple 4K TV.

The menus on Netflix and Disney + look fine but all content is then very dark and really unwatchable. I’ve played with various N7 HDR settings but nothing is changing. The Mandalorian and Queens Gambit are very dark and nothing like the same as they were on the X7000 when viewing in 4K SDR rather than HDR.

Has anyone else experienced and overcome this please?
Thanks
Steve
Assume it’s AppleTV you are viewing streaming on, the thing to try is to set the AppleTV picture to 4K SDR 50Hz. The PJ should also be on SDR profile. Then when an App on AppleTV is in HDR it will automatically switch to HDR and should automatically force the PJ to also switch to the correct HDR10 profile with correct Colourspace. Also make sure the HDR tone mapping is set in the PJ.

Thanks @scrowe but I think I’ve tried those ideas. I will try it again.

I put the ATV into SDR 50Hz and put dynamic match on as well. It’s switching the PJ to 4K but the result is very dark...I have tone mapping set to frame and the level up at +1 or even +2 and still too dark...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom