JVC DLA-HD350 + PS3 + AVR + wall

Clock'd 0ne

Established Member
Reaction score
I lurk a lot here and can be seen mostly in the classifieds, but I'd like to say hello to all :)

I am in the process of acquiring a calibrated JVC DLA-HD350 after seeing a demo and picking my jaw up off the floor. I've been doing a lot of reading to get my environment setup as best as possible but have a few questions no doubt the learned here will be quick to answer that I can't seem to find quickly.

What are the best settings for video playback? Normal 16-235 / yCbPr/component (4:4:4) seems to be correct one, but for example do I just set this on the PS3 in for HDMI Range and for Video Output and then assume the AV receiver will pass this through correctly and I can leave the proj on auto? The AVR is the entry level Yamaha RXV375.

The other issue is screen (or lack thereof). I'm painting the feature wall I'll be projecting onto in a matt grey: http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homeba...obsession---matt-emulsion-paint---125l-239373
Then I plan to paint a screen area on top in white/grey, rather than try to get a frame/screen.

Is it worth me trying to make my own black widow mix to sit on top of this for the screen area bearing in mind I have no spray gun to paint with and will just be using basic rollers, or is there another off-the-shelf paint that will give me just as good results with this calibrated projector?

If I do go black widow, what do I mix with the AAA paint? Auto Air Fine Aluminium Base | AutoAir Base Coat
I've seen various suggestions for Dulux paints in old threads (e.g. Ice Storm) that don't seem to exist any more, and I have no frame of reference for how light or dark grey/white to go for my particular setup.

Many thanks to anyone who can help a projector newbie just getting started :)

I feel obliged to reply as this equipment setup is the same as mine, although I now use a dedicated player for movies and just use the PS3 for games.

I previously had a Panasonic AX100 and spent ages experimenting with various Ice Storm variations, before settling on a medium shade. It affected colours slightly, but markedly improved back levels and increased shadow detail, the darker shade just crushed the blacks.

When I upgraded to an HD350 which has incomparably better blacks, I experimented again and to my utter surprise, a matt white produced the best results. Black levels were no longer an issue, in mixed scenes the blacks seemed very black, but the white screen allowed the bright highlights to really stand out. Depending on the projector, a particular shade of screen will give the best compromise and trick you into thinking the contrast has improved as either black or white will seem to improve by a bigger degree than the other deteriorates, probably to do with shadow details being better realised I imagine.

Bear in mind that this is in a room lined with black velvet so results may be different in a lighter room where a grey screen can bring benefits.

I believe Dulux rebrand their colours from time to time, when I was experimenting Ice Storm was called Clouded Slate, I think if you go into B&Q they can still access these old names on their system and mix you some tester pots.

Finally, in terms of painting the screen, I used to spend ages using a paint pad then sanding down to achieve the smoothest finish. No matter how much effort I put in, I would always see lines and imperfections during movie viewing and cracks would appear too. Eventually I just rollered it on and so it has the typical slightly bobbly finish. The miraculous thing is though that the screen texture is now completely invisible to me when viewing a movie!

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the reply, that's really helpful. Now I have to decide between the myriad shades of white available - I'm thinking White Cotton or Cornflower White might be better than one of the light reflecting Absolute/Brilliant shades? I guess I need to go down to the store and stare at the racks of cans and buy a couple of testers instead of trying to guess from looking at the screen...

Out of interest, how come you switched to a dedicated player from the PS3? I've found my PS3 to be solid as a media server, including BD discs.

Thanks very much for the reply, that's really helpful. Now I have to decide between the myriad shades of white available - I'm thinking White Cotton or Cornflower White might be better than one of the light reflecting Absolute/Brilliant shades? I guess I need to go down to the store and stare at the racks of cans and buy a couple of testers instead of trying to guess from looking at the screen...

Out of interest, how come you switched to a dedicated player from the PS3? I've found my PS3 to be solid as a media server, including BD discs.

I imagine there will be little difference between the different whites.

The Bluray picture quality playback of the PS3 is equal to the dedicated player, but the player is silent, and doesn't pump out a colossal amount of heat like the PS3!

When you say its calibrated, I assume you mean that the current owner calibrated it for their own set up? if so, then it may not be set up to get the best picture for your environment.

Sorry, I'm not sure how I missed your reply - I mean that they had it professionally calibrated (i.e. gamma, colour, etc).

I've picked up the projector today and am literally moments from firing it up, so excited :D

Time to see how it looks against a yellow wall!

It looks surprisingly good even against a light yellow wall - so I'm now thinking that my proposed idea that met SO's approval - urban grey painted wall with matt white painted 'screen' area - will work a treat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom