JVC DLA-HD2K - Brief review

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ReTrO, Sep 24, 2004.

1. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I managed to have a play with the new, native HDTV, JVC DLA-HD2K D-ILA projector yesterday.

It comes as a two part package, projector head unit and scaler unit. These link together with a DVI-D cable.

The projector it self is a 3 chip D-ILA device, giving 1920 x 1080 resolution, with a contrast ratio of 2000:1. Light outout from the 250W NSH (High pressure mercury/xenon) lamp is 500 ANSI lumens, offering 2000 hours of use.

The lens is an all glass affair with standard throw ratio being 1.8-2.3:1.

I was running the unit on a Vutec Vision-XM multi-aspect screen with VuFlex Pro fabric (gain 1.3), the projector being fed with 1080i component from a JVC 30k D-Theater player and 480/576p component from an Arcam DV88+.

Setup is fairly straight forward, most of the settings have to be done on the scaler, which uses Faroudja technology, with just gamma and colour settings (D65 and 3 other options) on the head unit.

Once setup and running I was very impressed. Pixels can only be seen from about 30cm from the screen when there is a fairly static bright image, and even then it is quite hard to see them. (The D-ILA panels have no cell structure as such, and have one big single cell LCD panel that is addressed from behind by a CMOS array). Each 'pixel' being about 1mm x 1mm (1.06 x 1.06mm to be precise) when projected on the screen

Blacks levels are very good, plenty of detail, more so than the DLP based projectors I have seen.

Overall very impressed.

Sadly the unit is owned by JVC Germany and had to go back there today for a show. I think it will be at Photokina in Cologne.

Hopefully a UK demo unit will be available soon and I will be able to have another play with it.

The DLA-HD2K (inc. LD-HD2K scaler) is set to retail for £17,225.50 inc VAT (£14,660.00 ex VAT) and should be available soon.

If you would like any further info, please ask.

Regards

Richard Wilson
    Technical Support @ Marata Vision
    JVC Professional UK Home Cinema Distribution

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Something I forgot to add.

Inputs on the scaler:

Y/Pr/Pb/RGBs - 4x BNC
    Composite video - BNC
    S-video - 4-pin DIN
    DVI-D (HDCP compatible)
    HDTV pass through - 15-pin D

Outputs:

DVI-D (HDCP compatible) to projector
    YPrPb/RGBS/RGBHV - 5 x BNC
    Monitor output - 15-pin D

Other:

12V trigger output
    RS232 - 9-pin D (there is also an RS232 9-pin D on projector)

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    I presume you mean each pixel was around 1mm x 1mm on screen other wise that'd be one HUGE projector (1920mm x 1080mm internal panel!).....hahahaha. Good work Rick let me know when you have a demo one.

G

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

Yes indeed G.

Doh!

I shall amend.

Cheers