You do have a decent CRT, I have seen a few 1209's and I am always impressed with the image they produce.I really need to demo one of these now. I was impressed with the Pearl so I'm sure I would be impressed with this unit. Personally I can't see the JVC touching the black level of my Barco 1209 and having owned a Barco 808s I know the difference between the units.
I also find a digital picture is harder on the eyes over my CRT which I can watch for hours without any eyestrain. I'm hoping to get my Barco 1209 modded soon so it should give a some new life in terms of details and bring it up to scratch with a DVI board.
Phil, does your barco have R/G colour filters fitted? Also if you need to test the black level of the JVC, try Planet of the Apes (2001) . . the opening scenes from memory normally look quite bad on non-CRT projectors . . very grey.
I think for 99% of users the new crop of digitals will be all they need . . till the next model comes out
I guess I'm lucky I have a pretty decent CRT. I do like the extra sharpness from the digital (though it can be overkill and un-natural).
Tim probably best to ask this in the projectors forum where you will get more answers to your query.I've been asked to replace the aging and huge lump of a Sony 6" CRT in my brother's house with something. While he has decent curtains and blinds the room is by no means blacked out. Would the Panny be a better contender in this instance. It isn't a heavily used device and the room isn't a dedicated home cinema. He watches a lot of rugby and perhaps one or two DVDs a month. I have a Lumagen HDQ which will be going in his direction.
Gary, personally I am looking at a few things for my next projector, one will be ease of use and picture quality. I will probably add the JVC to the system and finally retire the Barco, but I am doing this for a number of reasons but feel the PQ is certainly on a par for blacks and better for detail and HD use. I would always state that you should take a look at the JVC in a demo and make up your own mind. Hope that helps.Phil
As a fellow BG808 owner, would you swap your BG808 for the HD1?
2) What is the video optimised ANSI brightness for this projector in the Economy brightness mode? I was hoping for around 360 Lumens which my IN72 gives on Eco mode...
3) What is the lamp life on Economy brightness mode ?
5) Can I adjust the gamma of the projector? How many discrete steps can it be adjusted over? This is one of the single most important settings for me on ANY video display, it makes a HUGE difference to the picture. On my IN72 I can adjust it over quite a large range but only in 5 discrete steps...
6) Can I adjust the Sharpness of the projector i.e. boost it? For some of my ex-VHS home made DVD's and old LaserDiscs I would like to be able to up the sharpness by quite a lot, it makes a HUGE difference on the picture.
7) Can I adjust the Colour Temperature? What value range is the adjustment, and how many steps? On my IN72 you can choose 6500K, 7500K, and 9300K
About £250-3004) What is the ball park figure for a replacement lamp ? In GBP ?