• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

JVC & DEALER wont help me?

T

Tony13

Hi all, this is an old problem which i have had since last last November about my JVC DR-MH 30 which had its "loading" problem. I posted on here and was told of the "mod" which would fix it. Since then i have been in touch with JVC who passed the buck to my dealer who told me they do not do the mod and just offered me a replacement. I have explained to them i do not want a new one as i have data on my HDD i want to keep (sons b'day) and they just said i should not put valuable stuff on the Hard Drive. They refused point blank to do a mod, and i even had a delivery man knock my door with a brand new one who i had to turn away. I have not got any further since. Does anyone have any advise on what to do now, my guarantee runs out in the summer, and i really do not want to accept a new one and lose my home videos. Thanks , Tony

S

smallmanongn

Why not just transfer the stuff on it to DVD?
If you are worried about it being on DVD and it might get "lost" copy it to the hard drive on your PC from the DVD as well.
There is a warning in the instructions for my Sony 910 warning that data may be lost if it goes in for repair.
Personally I would prefer a new fault free machine as opposed to a repaired "old" one and wouldn't worry about stuff being on it if I could easily transfer it.
Just my thoughts.

T

Tony13

The "loading" problem is that it wont let me into the hard drive to put it to disk. Thats what i was in the middle of doing when it broke.

S

smallmanongn

Tony13 said:
The "loading" problem is that it wont let me into the hard drive to put it to disk. Thats what i was in the middle of doing when it broke.

Sorry didn't get that from the original post.
Isn't the hard disc itself faulty then,would it be possible to even recover the data?
Is it possible to open the machine and remove the hard disc to somehow connect it to a PC?

T

Tony13

Alot of people said it was very easy to do in my original post and that the dealer would do it. I would'nt have a clue about doing it myself

paulmcp2403

Tony13 said:
Hi all, this is an old problem which i have had since last last November about my JVC DR-MH 30 which had its "loading" problem. I posted on here and was told of the "mod" which would fix it. Since then i have been in touch with JVC who passed the buck to my dealer who told me they do not do the mod and just offered me a replacement. I have explained to them i do not want a new one as i have data on my HDD i want to keep (sons b'day) and they just said i should not put valuable stuff on the Hard Drive. They refused point blank to do a mod, and i even had a delivery man knock my door with a brand new one who i had to turn away. I have not got any further since. Does anyone have any advise on what to do now, my guarantee runs out in the summer, and i really do not want to accept a new one and lose my home videos. Thanks , Tony

sory to hear of your troubles mates but as far as reputable retailers are concerned they have covered themselves by accpeting reponsibility for the equipment and offering a brand new replacement....

Compared to a lot of retailers, this is a major result....check out panasonic for poor customer service :O(

maldonian

It's almost certainly a proprietary format - you won't be able to read it in a PC.

Haven't you still got the orginal home video tapes? My advice is to always keep camcorder tapes and never overwrite them.

Possibly too late in your case, but if you have got anything 'precious' on the hard disk you ought to back it up (ideally to at least one DVD and one DVD-RAM).

T

Tony13

Dont get me wrong, a brand new one would be nice but i really dont want to lose my home vids, and to pay as much as i did for something that blatently doesent work to be told that they wont fix it when they could just is not good enough for me to just accept a replacement. Lots of people have had the same problem as me and got theirs fixed with the mod, i just want the same.

S

smallmanongn

maldonian said:
It's almost certainly a proprietary format - you won't be able to read it in a PC.

But surely from a PC point of view it is just a file.
If you dont have a certain program (Quicktime for example) you can still download QT type files but just not view them.
I was advocating using a PC purely for storge if you could get the HD out of the machine.

pjskel

Do a search and contact GaryB (Gary B ?), who works for JVC. Ask him if he can help out in some way.
Other than that - you SOOL and will have to give up the kid's birthday footage. Personally I'd see if JVC would offer a replacement but on condition that you get the HDD transferred to the new unit. Then you can get the data off with the new DVD drive (hopefully).

ROYOLD

Tony13. I really think you are flogging a dead horse now. The fact that the dealer brought you a brand new replacement machine which you refused to accept will be the end of the matter as far as the dealer and manufacturer are concerned. Perhaps even the mod you speak of requires a reformat in which case you have lost the HDD info in any case. Even Panasonic advise that the HDD should not be considered a permanent storage medium.

As others have said. A back up of such an important event as son's birthday should have been tranferred to DVD-RAM and DVD-R. Now you are left with a U/S machine also.

Maybe GaryB (a member of this forum) who is employed by JVC and tests their new equipment will come in on this and offer some advice next time he is on.

T

Tony13

It was "GaryB" who told me about the "mod" solution last time, and that they would do it for me. So i dont think this is going to get sorted is it really. All this happened when i had just bought it when it first come out and i stuck the footage onto the Hard Drive overnight so i could tape stuff on the camcorder the next day, thats when it broke, 2 hours after i had taped over the camcorder footage. Otherwise i would still have had it on tape. I had'nt even had time to figure the JVC out properly otherwise i would have stuck it onto a dvd-rw and edited it that way. Hindsight's a bitch eh. Thanks for your thoughts looks like im going to be making a phone call on monday then. Does any Know if the problems with the JVC are fixed now, or will i be going through all this again, as my guarantee runs out in the summer.

ROYOLD

It was GaryB who ages ago pointed me to the sound fault on the JVC DRM10S which was ruining the discs with a high pitched sound. Some people I think also had problems with the machine continuously showing loading. Anyway I returned mine to firm I purchased from in Birmingham who forwarded it on to JVC in London then after 14 days or so it arrived back via the same dual route. JVC had left the advice note for the parts used in the modification. It just said "Parts used - one carbon resistor - value 60p. Heaven only knows what the total carriage costs were on this. 4 carriers involved. Fortunately I sent it back at the dealers expense. They supplied it two months after the fault was known to JVC. It should have been returned to JVC before they sold it to me.

It's been OK since - and that's a long time ago now.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom