JVC D-ILA NZ7 minitest

Insane jump. NZ8 and NZ7 seem close, NZ9 has ran away with it in those measurements. Is that just high bright setting? After calibration do they get closer?
It seems about what you'd expect going from the NZ7 to the NZ9 based on the specs (pro-rata'd).
If anything the odd one out appears to be the NZ8, which doesn't seem as bright as you'd expect compared to the NZ7. Or maybe the NZ7 is punching above.

It seems about what you'd expect going from the NZ7 to the NZ9 based on the specs (pro-rata'd).
If anything the odd one out appears to be the NZ8, which doesn't seem as bright as you'd expect compared to the NZ7. Or maybe the NZ7 is punching above.

Yup true. I'm just not used to manufacture specs being this accurate :D
Lumen wise NZ8 is slacking, maybe it had the filter on?

Well, I am happy that my NZ8 is making its specs as reported by myself earlier, with up to 50% jump over my previous N7, both calibrated and with filter.

Bright enough on my 140” 1.0 screen that I am using low -6 Iris in SDR for 20 ft-l, and mid with WCG for HDR 30 ft-l.

For those interested, I have also set up a static HDR10 profile towards the brighter end so that I can watch 4K HDR footie from BT sport on low without the WCG, where the 8keshiftx excels. Not that I need to, but that preserves laser life as there are no dark scenes (well, unless the Reds in Manchester continue their current run….)

Insane jump. NZ8 and NZ7 seem close, NZ9 has ran away with it in those measurements. Is that just high bright setting? After calibration do they get closer?
Depends on the unit, some yes and some no.

I’m thinking I’m going to be splashing some cash on the nz9 at some point this year 🤦‍♂️

No offence @Diddern but do my bank account (and marriage) a favour and tell me the new Z series are utter 💩💩💩💩
Sounds like you have already talked yourself into it and you haven't even got your NX9 yet!

Didrik measured around 300:1 on on the pre production NZ7 and 150:1 and 160:1 on the 2 production samples.
Are the one you tested a production sample, and have you tested multiple samples?
Sounds like you measured the same pre production sample that traveled around the world?

I know our sample was only for the RU-segment. So it couldn't be the same sample.

I know our sample was only for the RU-segment. So it couldn't be the same sample.
Sound like that.
Will be really interesting to check more samples. So far 3. production NZ7 is not similar to the pre-production NZ7

Hopefully, you did it the same as I did, against the projector making the average of all 12.
Meter position straight line to the light beam. Moving the KleinK10A with diffusor in the center of the white and black in all 12 squares. The total is divided by 12, to get the average. All white measurements were maxed out by getting the correct angle measurement out in a square Distance so you don't get white in the black and opposite. "also tested the best distance so you get correct readings"
Room 100% Batcave

How do you position the sensor?
I am using a Sper Scientific 840020 with a NIST calibration certificate.
I place the sensor towards the projector lens at a distance of 1-1.2 meters so that the sensor normally falls on the projection of the squares. Behind the sensor I make a hinge of black velvet in order to completely exclude light from entering the screen, so that almost no light is reflected into the room, which completely excludes the influence of the room on the measurement. But the room is well prepared anyway.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Sound like that.
Will be really interesting to check more samples. So far 3. production NZ7 is not similar to the pre-production NZ7

Diddern any news when you might get an NP5 in for testing? Rumoured release March?

Diddern any news when you might get an NP5 in for testing? Rumoured release March?
Still no info or date, but when it arrives im sure they want a check.

How do you position the sensor?
I am using a Sper Scientific 840020 with a NIST calibration certificate.
I place the sensor towards the projector lens at a distance of 1-1.2 meters so that the sensor normally falls on the projection of the squares. Behind the sensor I make a hinge of black velvet in order to completely exclude light from entering the screen, so that almost no light is reflected into the room, which completely excludes the influence of the room on the measurement. But the room is well prepared anyway.

Best wishes.
Same just with a different meter, I also checked with a standard light meter and could verify my measurements with that. That's also why I posted my measurements. Always good to test with 2 different to compare. Best wishes to you also :) Anyway nice to compare measurements. Anyway, we get an indication. When you have a possibility to check the production line let me know, then if different.

Here are fresh measurements today on the new JVC NZ7, NZ8, and NZ9
High Bright Full open. Measured at a 10% window the same 1.0 gain screen.100 inch

Here you will have an idea :)

NZ7
High 63,5 FL, Mid 51,3 FL, low 36,3 FL

NZ8
High 67,2 FL, Mid 53,5 FL, low 37,1 FL

NZ9
High 88 FL, Mid 71,5 FL, low 46,8 FL

Thanks for the measurements. Is my math correct around 2600 lumens for the NZ9? But I notice this is high bright, will this difference/output translate into calibrated lumens? I am going through the posts, maybe this has been answered already.

Thanks for the measurements. Is my math correct around 2600 lumens for the NZ9? But I notice this is high bright, will this difference/output translate into calibrated lumens? I am going through the posts, maybe this has been answered already.
Screen area 27,7 square feet, so 27,7x88FL, this NZ9 if the screen is 100% 1.0 gain 2437,6 lumen I think will be correct.

High Bright is a setting I have never used. I recommend you to make a 16FL calibration D65 Rec709 then with user1, and custom 1 and calibration for HDR., Then color temp D65 60% IRE. Then check colors and correct if totally wrong. You have the filter so easy to get it perfect.

Nope ,hehe no filter on :)

FYI US forum has the calibrated measurements for all 3 on same set up done (as well as high bright) by experienced calibrator SirMaster. Indeed biggest jump is to NZ9. Good match to my NZ8 numbers as well.

Hello Guys :) i am close to order a projector but i am not fully sure which... N5, N7, NZ7…
My screen is 100inch (dont have space for more) in a dedicated blacked out room.
I am thinking about catching one of the last N7 where i live, but its close to full price of some months ago so i cant say its a good deal.
There is like 2000$ difference with the NZ7.
Realistically how much more contrast would i be looking at with the N7 in my conditions ?
I know it got 2 iris and the color filter (which i think i care about)… and about the 2 iris on my size screen can i take advantage of both and the filter how does it work?
In the end what would be best you think ?

Well, the NZ7 will be significantly brighter, so you could reduce the Iris to give better contrast at the same light level as the N7. And the laser dimming is better than the DI on the N7. So definitely the NZ7 wins for black level and contrast. And it has a laser :)

OTOH N7 does have the WCG filter which I personally do care about, and has good enough contrast too. And it’s a lot cheaper. I’m afraid you have a choice to make!

Well, the NZ7 will be significantly brighter, so you could reduce the Iris to give better contrast at the same light level as the N7. And the laser dimming is better than the DI on the N7. So definitely the NZ7 wins for black level and contrast. And it has a laser :)

OTOH N7 does have the WCG filter which I personally do care about, and has good enough contrast too. And it’s a lot cheaper. I’m afraid you have a choice to make!
Thank You :)
In those condition i think i may choose the N7 but a friend offered me a N5 in great condition for 2500$ less than the N7 so its hard between those two…
What is the difference for contrast between having 2 iris at -4 for exemple and 1 (n5) at -8 ?

Thank You :)
In those condition i think i may choose the N7 but a friend offered me a N5 in great condition for 2500$ less than the N7 so its hard between those two…
What is the difference for contrast between having 2 iris at -4 for exemple and 1 (n5) at -8 ?
Well in similar circumstances to yours I previously chose the N7 as I wanted the best contrast I could afford, as well as the WCG filter.

I'm so confused. SirMaster on avsforums has measured his NZ7, NZ8, Nz9 in colour accurate mode and reports numbers imilar to NX7 in high lamp mode vs high lazer when calibrated.

Well in similar circumstances to yours I previously chose the N7 as I wanted the best contrast I could afford, as well as the WCG filter.
I see… :)
I guess you were satisfied with the WCG as you are now moving to the NZ8…
Do you think the Color filter and second iris make the same kind of difference between the N5 and 7 than between an Epson 5050ub and a N5 for exemple ?

I see… :)
I guess you were satisfied with the WCG as you are now moving to the NZ8…
Do you think the Color filter and second iris make the same kind of difference between the N5 and 7 than between an Epson 5050ub and a N5 for exemple ?
I think there is a significantly bigger jump between N5 and 5050 than (not only contrast but also resolution) than between N7 and N5.

I'm so confused. SirMaster on avsforums has measured his NZ7, NZ8, Nz9 in colour accurate mode and reports numbers imilar to NX7 in high lamp mode vs high lazer when calibrated.
Not sure what kind of differences you were expecting but the N7/Z7/Z8 are only a few hundred lumen different in high bright as specified. And keep in mind all lamp PJs drop relatively quickly and have more variation especially in high lamp. In my case, I saw a big difference in N7 with 740 hours on lamp and NZ8 both using Autocal in the same chain especially on high.

Not sure what kind of differences you were expecting but the N7/Z7/Z8 are only a few hundred lumen different in high bright as specified. And keep in mind all lamp PJs drop relatively quickly and have more variation especially in high lamp. In my case, I saw a big difference in N7 with 740 hours on lamp and NZ8 both using Autocal in the same chain especially on high.

TBH mate, I wasn't expecting much of a difference. I was just confused by your post when you said the NZ7 is signifcantly brighter. Did you mean signifcantly brighter in the long term due to lamp dimming on the N7 as opposed to both of them fresh, new and out of the box?

Great thread. Thank you @Diddern for all the hard work and info.

Would you be able to extrapolate and compare "on paper" to x7900? I guess the comparable model would be NZ8?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom