JVC D-ILA NZ7 minitest

Diddern

Established Member
Reaction score

Unpacking

For the second time, I have tested this brand new JVC NZ7 projector. But this time I have a real production copy in the home theater. It has been studied in detail.
There is no doubt that there are some advantages with this new NZ model compared to the old N-series. Both in that it has a long life on the laser up to 20,000 hours, but also that there are a number of updates that are seen to have a positive effect compared to the previous generation.
It's always fun to see technology advance. We are talking about performance and processor power and not least laser vs bulb.
The new NZ models come in three versions NZ7 corresponding to N5, NZ8 corresponding to N7, and NZ9 which is the top model and replaces the NX9.
First and foremost, I would recommend from personal experience, to think carefully about which model one should acquire, then based on your room, size of canvas, preferences, and not least the wallet! Feel free to ask someone who does this, or before you buy the projector from your dealer.
This model that is here in this mini-test is the NZ7 which is the smallest laser version, but still a fantastic projector and a lump of power so it holds.
The differences between the different models are things like extra color filter and four-way e-shift and much better lens on NZ9 versus NZ7 and NZ8. A better lens does a lot for the overall picture. As well as better contrast and ANSI contrast the better model you choose. But that's always the case. Native contrast and ANSI contrast have a lot to do with the dynamics of the image. Simply explained: black becomes blacker with higher contrast and black and white together, black appears more clearly without black being washed out by the white. Even small differences can mean a lot to some.
A good combination of native contrast and ANSI Contrast is the most important and this projector is a good example of that.

The differences

Life of the laser light 20000 hours
has clearly higher light pressure than previous models.
For comparison on a 110-inch Elunevission 1.0 gain, N5 measures about 35-38FL but NZ7 measures 55-57Fl, so it is quite a lot more light. The laser can be dimmed in three settings Low, Medium, and High. The figures above refer to the high laser and high lamp on the N5 bulb full open iris. Since 2200 lumens is difficult to understand in practice as well as not always true. Therefore, this comparison is useful.

The projector has also got HDR10 + which I see makes a big improvement on HDR material.
SDR and HDR just look completely raw.
Contrast 40000: 1 native and dynamic contrast with auto2, infinite:1

Design

The projector has good build quality and has a nice and tough design that looks raw. On this new series, JVC has not made an electric lens cover either. The optics have more than enough memory positions (10 pcs) for those with cinemascope screens, or which vary in size and height of the image in different situations.

Also that you can run the image up and down and have your own settings that you can easily change. This can also be stored in the memories individually, including digital masking, pixel adjustment.

A large powerfully built projector that weighs more than previous models. The JVC NZ7 measures 500 x 505 x 23.4mm and weighs 22.5Kg.
It weighs more than my NX9 wow!
There are powerful intake and exhaust valves for cooling air to the lamp in front, but I would recommend that you have some air against the rear wall since there is also an intake for cooling air for electronics on each corner at the back. Connections at the rear edge, so you do not have to squeeze the projector all the way to a rear wall. This is smart and should not be done.

The optics are of very good quality, with the 65mm full glass lens which means that it has a surprisingly even focus over the entire image surface, as well as no chromatic aberration. As well as minimal convergence even right after starting.
All inputs on the projector are located on the back as mentioned.
2 HDMI, 1 USB, 1 mini-USB for service, as well as LAN and an RS232c port. The projector can be controlled with most control systems, such as Control 4 and Crestron via RS232 and LAN

The remote control is similar to the N series and has a modern design. It is good to use and still fits well in the hand. It has backlighting in the buttons and a neat simple layout that is easy to get to know.

Last edited:
Menu and adjustments

The JVC NZ7 has several picture mode options. These are Natural, Cinema, HDR10, HDR10 +, 3 User custom modes. Of course, 3D mode also when it receives 3D signals.

The calibrated projector in this test is Natural High laser open iris BT.709, D6500K gamma 2.4 and User 1 16FL BT.709, D6500K gamma 2.35. Natural with full print, call it welding flash on my canvas than with sunglasses 55FL calibrated. As well as User 1 with 16FL for more normal use so you can watch more movies.

All the normal setting options such as Brightness, Contrast, Color, Sharpness, etc., are available as in all other models. You have CMD Motion Enhance which has 3 settings, low latency mode on or off, CMD (Clair Motion Drive) off, low, or high. I can not say that I see any difference compared to the NX9 when it comes to exercise with or without the use of CMD but there is more power in the new models so is probably a little better. For me, a low setting clearly works best here as well. But it is completely optional whether you want to use it or not. I have tried both on and off in this test, but only with low as others give soap opera effect or fast-forward feeling also with artifacts. Motion enhance is a setting that reduces motion judder in scenes with fast movements. If it is to be used then low is also preferable. Or turned off, of course, personally, I use this off.

The projector also has image enhancement settings below MPC Level, here I recommend that you have all settings as low as possible. Also optional
But this is also a preference of the individual. I have turned these off completely or set them so low that they have no negative effect on test images. This unit works 2, 0, 0. You probably do not want artifacts such as edge enhancement (white line around all contrasts in the image) or "artificial sharpness"

As on previous JVC projectors also has DLA-NZ7 auto-laser modeling, Call it auto iris but I feel that this pumps a bit in the film material and can get a bit dark at times, but this is optional to use and you can choose between auto1 and auto2. But one thing is for sure, it will be black.
It is also good to know that with the 60Hz material, a separate fan is started which you hear over the fan noise on the projector. This is to protect components. So not a mistake that one can easily believe. The same sound also occurs when using lens settings in the projector, such as shift, sharpness, and zoom.

Optical sharpness - 4K and 1080P resolution patterns are used to test in this test. It gives very good results and nothing to pick on.
As well as razor-sharp from it is turned on throughout the picture.
I must say that I was pleasantly surprised that it is so sharp without any convergence on this specimen. Sides and corners razor-sharp, yes you see pixels in the whole picture, something I have never seen so clearly before. Of course with e-shifts and even reading glasses. I have checked this unit and it has no bright corners at all. Uniform the entire panel.

The projector also has convergence adjustment, but if there is a little deviation on the screen, I recommend that it is not touched. If you have to scratch, use ONLY adjustment of the entire panel, as zone adjustment only rotates everything to more than it does well.

With 4K input, the projector is clear and clean in the image, with 1080P it is more than good but better with 4K input. This also applies to the NX9, so if 4K input is used, it's just a joy to watch. As well as it being a 4K projector so let it do the job. 1080P patterns look very good even with 4K input.
It is important that it is fed with 4K from UHD / BD player or PC. This is so that the result on the screen will be the best possible. Right to delete, it still gets better with 4K in a 1080P in. Here you see a small difference in test patterns if you are hardcore. Use 4K innput.

Below 1080P and 2160P both with 4K signal input

Last edited:
Calibration

Equipment used:
KleinK10A
Jeti1501 High Res
Muredeo 4K picture generator
Calman Ultimate 2021

Here out of the box measurement

As you can see, the projector has clearly benefited from calibration. Measurements are made with minimum throw distance max zoom on a 110-inch screen. 1.0 gain Elunevission with newly created profile from Jeti 1501 High res for Klein K10A.
Here, measurements of contrast at different settings are un-calibrated measured against the projector.
High laser
Iris open 0, 23000: 1- 57FL Iris -8, 33000: 1- 43FL Iris -15, 39000: 1- 37FL
Low laser
Iris open 0, 18000: 1- 30FL Iris -8, 28000: 1- 25F Iris -15, 30000: 1- 15FL
ANSI contrast measured an average of all 12 fields is measured at about 150: 1 against the projector with Kleink10A with a diffuser. Which is equivalent to the N series on this copy. So it's more than good enough for this model to look amazing. ANSI Contrast measured with High laser.

Black level
No doubt again, when it comes to JVC, they have the market's very best contrast and black level. Compared to other projector manufacturers, no one can match this. The contrast comes into its own in dark scenes, where JVC as usual is completely superior in image dynamics as this is calibrated correctly. Scenes that are very dark, such as Harry Potter, Zero Dark Thirty, Alien, etc., just look absolutely stunning.

As well as with laser modeling, it gets completely dark on the screen as it is completely dark or 0 IRE in my cinema.

It seems that the laser does not go out completely, but the stray light does not reach the screen anyway, as it is so small. Expect that this will be fixed with firmware if there is a point.

Last edited:
Calibrated
In calibrated mode with 16FL I have used image mode with iris position of -9 This with the laser set to Low, measured against the screen, you then hardly hear the projector at all.

This is the best I was able to calibrate this with only adjustment in the gray scale Gain100% IRE, then adjustments in gamma and a little on the color space to refine.
The result was like this with User 1, Custom1 D7500 which was closest to D6500, and Custom1 gamma 2.3 laser low iris -9

In calibrated mode, the deviations are now more or less gone and all measurements are now good.
The grayscale with an average of DeltaE 0.5 must be said to be extremely good. Gamma has also become more or less completely linear after calibration, and the result is clearly approved I would say. Also out of black is now the best possible, with something lighter in 1% and 2% IRE which is very common on the NZ and also the N series.
The color space, as shown with Color Checker above, has also become good.

HDR

This sample of the NZ7 managed 89,4% of the P3 color.

It's just really fun to see HDR on this projector HDR + also looks magical. There are crystal clear clean images with good tone mapping internally in the projector with simple adjustments. There is an extremely dynamic that pops up on the screen and into the room.

I have calibrated 60% IRE to get the right color temperature and as you can see from the picture above without an extra color filter, it manages almost 90% of P3. JVC Auto-tone mapping now works on movies. If you have turned on Auto, the projector itself detects HDR and switches to straight. I did not take any super deep HDR calibration as it is difficult to get perfect. In short, this is HDR at its best via projector.

I do not like to say this, but HDR movies look more or less the same as my own NX9. As well as this one has more light pressure than my NX9 so it holds my NX9 43FL against NZ7 with 55FL calibrated. It is also important to set according to preference and use HDR optimizer if you want and feel like it.

Last edited:
Conclusion
This is definitely a very good projector. Compared to the competitors with full native 4K, I would say there is little doubt that this is a clear No. 1 of the laser models in the price range and with this light pressure compared.

Here you get a fantastic black level, fantastic dynamics and can enjoy all types of films you have. I also do not have much negative to say. It has an extremely dynamic and beautiful image, with the ability to light up a fairly large canvas. Fantastically good native contrast that outperforms everyone in its class, and it works well with everything you feed it with, whether it is TV signals in HD, UHD HDR movie, or gaming, it delivers this at the reference level.

PLUS

• Very good contrast/dynamics. Up to around 40: 000: 1 native, and dynamic contrast up to complete black
• Very good brightness higher than the previous generation
• In low laser low noise, on my canvas full open 30Fl of 110 inches
• Low input layer also allows for 120hz
• Great with UHD HDR and HDR + Auto Tone Mapping
• Full 4K native 4096 x 2160
• Very good optics, fantastic sharpness throughout the image. Almost zero convergence from the start.
• Motorized optics of course
• Simple and good calibration system with its own JVC autocal system for calibrators
• Optimized CMD (interpolation)
• Slightly better lens than previous models

MINUS
• Somewhat high price
• Not full DCI / p3 color reproduction but almost 90%
• 1080P input signal does not look 100% perfect on the test material but slightly better than the previous N series
• Make some extra fan noize when running 60Hz

Some more pictures:

Making a profile

Making a profile

Pictures of different tests done

Last edited:
In short, a fun session of 10 hours with testing and calibration. Definitely a very good projector.

Remember that pictures are taken with an iPhone, so the colors in the pictures are not correct.

That's some mini review.😁

Now Steve Withers and Phil Hinton can take a few days off.

Last edited:
Conclusion
This is definitely a very good projector. Compared to the competitors with full native 4K, I would say there is little doubt that this is a clear No. 1 of the laser models in the price range and with this light pressure compared.

Here you get a fantastic black level, fantastic dynamics and can enjoy all types of films you have. I also do not have much negative to say. It has an extremely dynamic and beautiful image, with the ability to light up a fairly large canvas. Fantastically good native contrast that outperforms everyone in its class, and it works well with everything you feed it with, whether it is TV signals in HD, UHD HDR movie, or gaming, it delivers this at the reference level.

PLUS

• Very good contrast/dynamics. Up to around 40: 000: 1 native, and dynamic contrast up to complete black
• Very good optics, fantastic sharpness throughout the image. Almost zero convergence from the start.
• Simple and good calibration system with its own JVC autocal system for calibrators

MINUS
• Somewhat high price
• 1080P input signal does not look 100% perfect on the test material but slightly better than the previous N series

Thank you Diddern, is this projector in a different class then to NX7 and NX5?

Before we had an impression it would trade belies with NX5 but your findings seem to suggest it is in a tier above them competing with NZ9 but more light output ?

Thank you Diddern, is this projector in a different class then to NX7 and NX5?

Before we had an impression it would trade belies with NX5 but your findings seem to suggest it is in a tier above them competing with NZ9 but more light output ?
Personally, I will say a NX5 on speed tripp, NZ7 has a lot of light, even much more than my NX9.

But NZ7 with the same contrast and ANSI contrast as a NX5.
Then this sample, will check more samples soon so give feedback if different.

But for larger screens wow. I got 30FL on 110 inches 1.0 gain with low laser mode.

No bright corners, super sharp at startup, no convergence on this unit.
And goes more or less 100% black when no info in the picture.

But in really dark movies it was for me a little too aggressive, then a loss of details in the really dark scenes. Then a sort of dimming. I will report this, so might be a fix in the future.

Thanks for great input on the NZ7! Seems like the NZ series will keep us happy. I am eagerly awaiting my NZ8 (to replace my N7). I plan to run at mid laser and I hope it will not be louder than the N7 at low.

Extra fan noise at 60hz? I never hear about this? Does that mean if I only watch movies on my projector, at 24hz, the extra fan noise will not activate? But when playing PS5 games it will?

Thanks for great input on the NZ7! Seems like the NZ series will keep us happy.

Extra fan noise at 60hz? I never hear about this? Does that mean if I only watch movies on my projector (soon to be NZ8), at 24hz, the extra fan noise will not activate? But when playing PS5 games it will?
It's like some extra fan noize when you have 60HZ, the same you hear when you put up the lens menu for adjustments. This is not a high-frequency sound, but a fan. Same with 3. units here in this country.
With 24HZ it's gone and it is not the e-shift noize. I will say it's not an error. But a reason for it. I guess protecting :)

Last edited:
Maybe the FPGA is getting hotter with higher frame rates and so has to be cooled with (more?) forced air.

Conclusion

PLUS

MINUS
• Somewhat high price
Thanks a lot for this. I take it you were comparing the light output of your NX9 without the WCG filter? How many hours on your lamp?

I had heard NZ8 was as bright as NX9 both with WCG filter, and brighter without, but I did not expect that from the NZ7.

Thanks a lot for this. I take it you were comparing the light output of your NX9 without the WCG filter? How many hours on your lamp?

I had heard NZ8 was as bright as NX9 both with WCG filter, and brighter without, but I did not expect that from the NZ7.
The NX9 had a max of 46,6FL when completely new. Yes, without.
The NX9 lamp time on this bulb is 800 hours. The NZ7 is only 26/27 hours.

Tested with a new bulb yesterday and got then 46FL uncalibrated on the NX9 1.0
gain 110 inches same as the test was done on.

Diddern, do you think an NX5/NP5/NX7 are decent or good choices for a 150'' screen or is it the NZ7 now the only option in your eyes?

Diddern, do you think an NX5/NP5/NX7 are decent or good choices for a 150'' screen or is it the NZ7 now the only option in your eyes?
The new NZ will be better, for shore more punch to give. Have a friend with an NX5 on a 150" not super impressed by the punch, but look good. Don't remember the FL on that screen. Was under 18FL. 150" is the absolute max screen for this NX5/NX7 projector my own opinion.

Reading the measurements of the NZ7 and with my N7 experience ill say it might be a tough call, and preferences, as the NZ7 maxes out at 40000:1 and the NZ7 potentially higher, i recently calibrated a good N7 sample on a 3,2m widescreen with around 60000:1 on off contrast in high lamp mode, the NZ might do that setup in low laser and get i guess 25000:1. Its not an obvious upgrade unless you need the extra light and are willing to sacrifice some contrast.

What seems to be clear is that it is an obvious upgrade to the N5, and if you have an N7 with quite bright corners, if that's solved on the NZ7

Were there any on off, ANSI and any 1-20% APL figures ?

Were there any on off, ANSI and any 1-20% APL figures ?
1-20% APL figures were not tested, was not time.
Ansi Contrast 130:1-150:1

High laser
Low laser

Reading the measurements of the NZ7 and with my N7 experience ill say it might be a tough call, and preferences, as the NZ7 maxes out at 40000:1 and the NZ7 potentially higher, i recently calibrated a good N7 sample on a 3,2m widescreen with around 60000:1 on off contrast in high lamp mode, the NZ might do that setup in low laser and get i guess 25000:1. Its not an obvious upgrade unless you need the extra light and are willing to sacrifice some contrast.

What seems to be clear is that it is an obvious upgrade to the N5, and if you have an N7 with quite bright corners, if that's solved on the NZ7

Missed the figs, got em now :smashin:

1-20% APL figures were not tested, was not time.
Ansi Contrast 130:1-150:1

High laser
Low laser
Thanks diddern, iris open how would that compare to an NX5 contrast wise from ur avsilable readings high lamp mode?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom