Question JVC current vs. previous generation - difference in throw ratios??

Webmonkey

Hi guys.

I am in the process of upgrading my old 92" screen to an ~110"ish. - before I make the jump to 4K with an N7 (or N75, whatever the next model is ..) :)

I have encountered a small challenge.

- I have tried these 2 distance calculators, but they do not seem to agree:

JVC DLA-NX7 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

Find screen size and throw distance for the JVC DLA-NX7 projector.
www.projectorcentral.com

JVC Europe

eu.jvc.com
eu.jvc.com

The JVC calculator says I need ~349cm to throw a 110" 16:9 image, but the projectorcentral calculator say I need 364cm :unsure: :unsure:

- for my current X30, the projectorcentral says I need 340cm and the physical distance from the lens to the screen surface is 349cm according to my laser meter. And from what I can measure, I could from this distance with the X30 go up to ~115", determined by the picture width.

So which calculator is lying and which one is telling the truth?????

alebonau

id go with the JVC one...

pg 10-11 of their brochure also has a table....

as they say though while they are design specs... in practice you can get as much as +/- 5% ! variation in practice

so i would be very careful to not cut things too fine ... or you could get self into bother :D

I went from X35 to x7000 to N7 without a bother ... but obviously the screen and throw distance am using is likely very different to someone elses ....

Webmonkey

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

The table in the manual is identical to the JVC calculator.

- just wondering. Is it measured from the plastic front of the projector, or from the front of the glass lens (which is of cause a bit embedded)??

It is just so annoying when you think you have the facts, then a new problem comes up..

JamesBaby

Check but I think, the new 4k panel is wider and when you project 16:9 has black bars at the side.?

One site might looking at the full panel width, the other the 16:9 image within that panel width.

Webmonkey

Check but I think, the new 4k panel is wider and when you project 16:9 has black bars at the side.?

One site might looking at the full panel width, the other the 16:9 image within that panel width.
Could be.

I do not understand WHY they have made a chip that is 4096 pixels wide - the 17:9 does not match any screen or source material I am aware of.

As long as I can place a full 16:9 UHD image dead centre without black columns at the sides, I am happy.

alebonau

I do not understand WHY they have made a chip that is 4096 pixels wide - the 17:9 does not match any screen or source material I am aware of.
its just the difference between the 4k native chip sony/jvc use vs UHD consumer format media we have to view on them. when you boot up the jvc you will see the blue bars on left and right ...these disappear when viewing uhd material :)

groesbeek

The easiest calculation for the N7 is that the screen width is 1.4 to 2.1 times the projection distance.

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
its just the difference between the 4k native chip sony/jvc use vs UHD consumer format media we have to view on them. when you boot up the jvc you will see the blue bars on left and right ...these disappear when viewing uhd material :)

You can set the background to black to avoid the blue bars.

alebonau

You can set the background to black to avoid the blue bars.
there is no need really jfinnie as the bars are only visible for split second before synchs for image and image from any source displays. but by all means can change back ground to your preference :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom