1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC Camcorders?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by spikey1, Oct 4, 2005.

1. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I thought I'd share my problems with my JVC GR-DX67 in the hope it will help inform others about which camcorder to buy.

I've owned the camera since about May last year and have only used it 5 or 6 times, less than 3 hours record and 10 hours playback.

The first problem I encountered is that the zoom would stick on, especially after charging. To get it off you had to wobble the zoom rocker until it stopped. This got to the point where it took some 15 or 20 minutes for it to stop.

Anyway I then take the thing on holiday, use it very little (due to the problems) but when I get back to review the recording I had done I switch on to get a balck screen telling me the lens cap is still on when its not.

Searching here and other places shows this is a well known problem on JVC camcorders and one that can only be fixed by an engineer.

To make matters worse I (against my better judgement) bought it from Dixons who either want £105 just to look at it and then its plus parts or £159 and they'll fix it whatever the problem.

Luckily it started playing up, and finished, whilst being used for work so they will hopefully pay.

I just wanted to let everybody know that JVC camcorders do not have a good relaibility record as searching the web and my experience has shown me.

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    The problem with this is that only people who have problems post messages to the various bulletin boards. There may well be 50 messages of complaint about a particular product, but without knowing how many have been sold, it's impossible to use that as a measure of reliability.

It's best to email JVC about this. They may be more accommodating than Dixons.

BTW the remove lens cap message usually happens after the camera has been knocked or dropped. It's usually caused by broken wires to the CCD imager.

3. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yes I realise that posts often come from people with problems and many people may have none at all but after searching I was surprised how many reports of this error there have been including a group in the states that are considering a multi party action.

The camera has never been dropped or mishandled in any way and as I said has been used very little. Its always annoying when it happens not long after the warrenty expires. I just thought it may be useful to some that were considering a purchase as I haven't come across such errors on other makes.

Its like anything else you pay your money and make your choice, I just know my choice won't be to purchase JVC again.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Well actually failling CCD's are quite common, mainly in Canon camcorders but not exclusively. For more info on this have a look in This Thread, but get comfortable as it is 15 pages (and growing) long. There is mention of JVC CCD problems on the last post of page 14, and that was posted by somebody who repairs camcorders for a living.

Mark.

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    As I said earlier, contact JVC. They are aware of the problem and will get it repaired Free Of Charge, as long as it's a UK purchase and you have your receipt, even though it is out of guarantee. You can call them on 0870-330-5000. If you want, PM me your contact details and I'll get someone to contact you.

6. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Garry, I need to find the receipt (which I hope is in the box) if and when I do I'll pm you.

Otherwise I have no option but to deal with dixons as they can trace me on their system.

Thanks again.

7. giny30

giny30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a JVC GR-FXM39EK, had it about 18 months and have the screen of death so often seen on here. Having read all the problems people were having with Canons, I followed all the advice and contacted JVC. Well that was a waste of time. Send a letter with a copy of guarantee and receipt. Sorry, don't have either as over the guarantee period. Go to retailer and ask for copy of reciept, yeah right, like Im going to walk in to Currys and say, "Excuse me, can I have a copy of a reciept for something i bough 1 and ahalf years ago with cash, not sure which day but some time during May". They'd still be laughing when I got home. JVC have done nothing for my problem except put up a new barrier each time. Not worth the hassle and certainly not worth buying their products again.

8. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I find it sad that all too often the big companies don't give a s**t about their customers.
    I bought a canon S45 stills camera and it has been really great. It's even survived being dropped onto a concrete pavement while in use!
    So, when I came to buy a video camera I naturally made a bee line for the canon models.
    Unfortunately upon reading forums and newsgroups I realised that there were major reliability problems with many canon video cameras (ccd failure). What makes it all the worst is that many posters were being told by canon customer support that "Oh that's strange, never heard of that problem before" when you only had to look at the number of posters with the same problem AND american sites clubing together and filing law suites against them to realise that the company MUST know of this issue but wouldn't stand by their products. I am just using this case as an example many other companies have done the same or worst.
    Thank heavans for the internet! Before the web we would have all been fobbed off by companies saying "Oh, you're the first that's had that component fail"

Sorry my ramblings don't help your problem giny30 but I hope you get some help soon.

-Neil

9. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well I hadn't posted here again as I'm still waiting the outcome from Dixons.

They traced the fact that my camera was 5 weeks out of warrenty when I took it back to them.

Their repair centre have my letter asking that the costs of repair be met by JVC etc etc and they've had the camera about 3 weeks.

Apparently its being done now and as I haven't received a phone call about price I'm hoping they're in agreement that it should be done free of charge.

That could just be naively optimistic but I'll let you know.

10. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
  11. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ahh very useful, thanks again.

It will be interesting to see what they intend to charge as I haven't heard anything from them.

12. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    If you don't get any joy from Dixons, JVC will cover it. Just call the number on the website and ask them to authorise it to your nearest JVC Digital ASC - Probably Select TV in Hengrove.

13. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Will do, cheers.

14. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well after a very long time and a few calls to Dixons it transpires they can't get the camcorder back to me in 6 weeks as per their repair contract (and are very vague about where it is).

They very kindly agreed to replace it giving me credit for the amount I paid for it plus the cost of a battery even though I didn't have the battery receipt.

They had very little choice so as I wanted "true wide screen" had to for a DVD camcorder and paid extra for it (I know what most people think of them on here).

I haven't edited anything I've recorded so far, only watched stuff, so worked out editing wasn't that important.

Whilst I think image quality is important I remembered I watch many things in divx on dvd r so I guess I'm not that obsessive.

Dixons were quite good but they could have been better, as they had no decent miniDV replacements that I liked (the closest was the JVC 3 ccd,cheapest one, but I hated the handling of it) the tape deal I got with the original camcorder and original case were now pretty useless but they wouldn't refund any cost for these.

They also wouldn't give me anything free, that is DVD's with it.

However when I first took it back it was some 5 weeks out of warrenty and the best I could have got elsewhere was a free repair from JVC and when you look at it I got 13 months free use and an upgrade for the original cost.

So all in all I'm hoping I'll be happy, will be testing it out tomorrow for the first time recording the wife's team play netball so should be a good test.

I'll be back!

15. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The camera I've got is a Sony DVD203e.

After reading many mixed reviews I was a little concerned the image quality would be really poor.

However recorded a 30 minute disk today of a netball match in really foggy conditions and I've got to say I'm really impressed.

Colour rendition is fairly accurate although the reds are a little orange but the fod didn't help this.

I got none of the blue hue issues mentioned in some reviews and panning the camera using aperture ae mode set to sport caused no blurring or pixelation. I can't really notice any grain but again the foggy conditions make it difficult to tell.

Plus being able to watch it and copy it so easily is really useful.

I think the PQ compares very favourably with the JVC DX67 I replaced and its a lot easier to use. The Sony did of course cost a lot more though.

So all in all very happy so far but I still have to test low light!!!

16. giny30

giny30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'll be blowed, rang JVC about problems with my camcorder, mentioned about them admitting fault on some models on their site and that i would like mine fixing. Bloke on other end came out with same old excuse "sorry but we need proof of purchase". After a long argument, very obnoxious he was, I asked to speak to a manager. He said he'd put me through but i would only get same reply. Anyway manager wasn't there so asked for him to call me. One hour later I get the call and start to explain when he cuts me off mid sentence and says "Sorry but there was some confusion, I will arrange for your camera to be fixed free of charge, we have had an internal email go out to say no proof off purchase is needed and the chap that dealt with you should have been aware, I will speak to him". Sorted. Now I have my camcorder on its way to be fixed, so if yours is on list, contact JVC and ask for it to be repaired, and don't take any crap about proof of purchase.

17. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    Yours must have slipped through the system. The rule is still that Proof Of Purchased must be produced. This is only fair and is to check that the camera is a UK purchase, not stolen, etc.

18. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Check if it's stolen that's fine and proper.
    But what difference does it make if the camcorder is not a UK model. Bottom line is JVC made a duff camera and should stand by their products regardless of where it was bought from.

-Neil

19. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    If it's an EU purchase it will be covered but the internal charging arrangements are slightly different. That's why they normally ask.

The main reason is to make sure it's not stolen.

This model isn't affected by the CCD problem but someone's going to have a profitable Christmas (unless they get caught):
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/4527446.stm

20. aldinho

aldinho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info, i have a grdx25e same thing lens cap etc,it was 6months out of warranty so bought a new camcorder, after reading this thread i now can contact JVc and get it repaired foc.., thing is the camera i replaced it with is a grdx27 !! that is on the list as well ! never mind.

21. gingaman

gingaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just got a new JVC GR-DF470 for Christmas, great for 4 days and then on the 5th day of Christmas I got this lovely Lens Cap error message and total blackness not even a hint of a golden ring through it :(

I'm a bit ******ed off to say the least, this camera isn't even on the list of affected models and is a 2005 model so I thought I was going to be safe, more fool me, hopefully I'll get a refund and purchase something that isn't JVC, if all I'm offered is a direct replacement I would just worry it would happen again in the future and this experience has put me right off JVC.

22. andysonic

andysonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [if you are still trying to get your camcorder fixed by JVC go to Currys as they have a date base of everything sold to you which they took a name and address for . i have a grade a camcorder with lens cap fault and jvc will nor repair as i was not 1 st buyer. you can also try the sales of goods act with currys as product could have a manufacturing fault which they must put right and you can make a claim any time in 1st 6 years for that phone trading standers for more info

23. andysonic

andysonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a small note lots of you keep going on about how its just two weeks or so out side warranty and retailer dont want to know. 12 mouth warranty is not from retailer but manufacture that's why retailers wont repair because they would not be covered for cost by manufacturer who dont want to know after warranty has ran out all you are doing is have a go at the middle man not the warranty provider that is why they sell extended warranty's because it put them back in control to sum extent.