1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC big problem

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by technoman28, Jun 13, 2005.

1. technoman28

technoman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I have a JVC GR-DVL145EK video camera, its mini dv but maximum pain in the a**, about a year after I got it, it started to act up, occasionally going into error (code E04), as I dont use it much I coped with it, but is now getting worse all the time. It either goes into "safeguard mode" and wont do anything, or tells me to take out the tape and re-insert, which again does nothing. I did a trawl in the net and found that in the US a group of people are taking JVC to court over this problem. It stems from the fact that when JVC realised how big video cameras were going to be, they sought parts from various sources in a bid to keep up with demand, some of these parts were subsequently found to be defective. When they found out about this they redesigned and re-manufactured certain parts, but did not do a recall of the affected models. When people put their cameras in for repair they replaced the defective parts with the new ones and charged for the repair. As the action is being brought in the US, people from the UK cant join in, which leaves us brits with basically useless cameras (Im lucky if I get 2 minutes of recording before it goes into fault). I have tried all the non repair fixes quoted, including taking the battery off and whacking the damn thing (apparently this is something that JVC tech help suggest!).
    I was interested to see if anyone else on here has had similar problems with their JVC camera, or if they had found any solutions. I know that in future I will never touch any JVC gear at all, and a lot of the US people feel the same. If you do have JVC gear, and are happy with it, that's fine, I would never say that all of their stuff is bad, just that when something is bad, and they know it, wouldn't it be nice if they would put it right? I'm sure that a company seen to be doing the right thing by their customers is liable to attract more customer loyalty.
    Anyway, rant over. Like they say, life is like the pubic hair on the urinal, sooner or later you are going to get p****d off!

2. technoman28

technoman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
  3. nigandot

nigandot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had same problem coupled with poor picture quality. I bought the camera over 3 years ago a mini dv 157 something or another, threw the thing away in disgust, it was a works one so wasn't my money! I had 3 year warrenty with mastercare and it went back to them on a regular basis (every 3 months). I tried to get it replaced but it had to repeat the same fault within a certain timeframe which it never did.

I have now bought a JVC gr-dx77ex even though I swore I would never buy another JVC. I figured I might just have bought a lemon so thought I would give jvc another chance. So far no probs have had it 6 months now! If it does start acting up I think I will treat it like that pubic hair cos I do not want to play another game of tennis with mastercare again!

Thats my story, but am a bit cheesed if they knew there was a problem with them.

4. NikosF

NikosF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've also got a JVC mini-DV camcorder that exhibited the (I now know to be well-known) problems you describe.

Five things helped:
    1. Drying out the camcorder with a hairdrier. Take the tape and battery out, leave the tape door open and blast with a hairdryer - taking care not to overheat anything (I blasted from a foot away and stopped frequently to let it cool down). I believe there is a humidity sensor that can trigger the error mode, and it needs a good drying out.

2. Giving it a few hard raps with an open palm - apparantly there are some connections that get loose, so this helps it.

3. Before using a new tape, I FF and RW through the whole tape. THis evens out the tape tension.

4. WHen recording, I just record and stop - no going back to review scenes I taped. Then when I'm done - I capture the whole lot to computer and edit. Not going back and forth keeps the tape tension even

5. Store the camcorder with no tape in it.

I now do these things, and (touch wood), it's been perfectly behaved. I agree I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to use a simple piece of consumer electronics, but this has saved me having to buy a new camcorder, since when it does work, it still gives great pictures.