1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jvc av32x37

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by unguru, Nov 6, 2003.

1. unguru

unguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks an interesting set - has NTSC prog scan but no component outputs so I emailed JVC and this was the reply:-

"This TV provides progressive scan from NTSC sources by providing a single picture on one field by doubling the scanning rate at the external input stage to generate 525 lines of the NTSC signal. This helps to eliminate horizontal flickering and field displacement effects.

Many DVDs provide an NTSC output. When sourced from DVD or any other non-broadcast sources, NTSC has a number of advantages over PAL. This is why we use this technology with NTSC. It can also be done with PAL, but there are some complications that need to be ironed out first"

Does this mean it is ntsc prog in the same way as other tvs or not? Can anyone shed any more light?
    Thanks

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    It has it's own internal de-interlacing/progressive scan mode for NTSC rather than being able to accept an external progressive scan signal from a dvd player. Philips Pixel Plus TV's (certainly the 9527 model) also have an internal NTSC Progressive Scan mode as do some Toshiba models.

Some also have both, such as the JVC HV32D25, it can accept both PAL & NTSC Progressive via it's component inputs but it also has a Movie Theatre Mode (Progressive Scan) for use with an interlaced signal from DVD's.

3. unguru

unguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, Jase.

Is there any discernible difference in quality between component and this internal progessive mode?

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    I can only comment on the differences on my HV32D25. The Movie Theatre Mode works very well on NTSC sources, equaling my Toshiba SD900 (using the component inputs and then switching between interlaced and progressive output). PAL stuff doesn't fare as well, its still good but on some discs you can still see the odd "jaggie". I would expect later DVD models such as the Denon 2900, Pioneer 757ai etc etc to have far better de-interlacing than the TV has.

We also have a Philips 9527 P+ and I like the NTSC Progressive Scan mode on that but the rest of the family prefer the Pixel + mode. :rolleyes: :)