• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

JVC AV32X37 - picture problems...

Gus

Standard Member
Hi there, I'd be grateful for any advice anyone can offer as to the likely diagnosis for the problem I have developed on my TV - hopefully one of you helpful engineer types will know what's going on! :)

Basically the TV developed a bright red, intermittant 'flash' which has now turned into a green discoloration with horizontal lines across the screen (pictures attached). The only previous problem that I've had with the TV was a couple of weeks outside it's 12 month warranty when it suddenly went off. On that occasion JVC arranged the repair FOC - that was over 2 years ago.

I really need to know whether it's a major problem, or one that can be easily (and cheaply!) fixed. Although the thought of a new TV does appeal, I wasn't expecting the expenditure so am keen to avoid it if possible.

Cheers,

Gus

Attachments

• tv1.jpg
    tv1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 47
  • tv2.jpg
    tv2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 40
  • tv3.jpg
    tv3.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 43

Gus

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. Does that mean that the tube is knackered, or is this problem repairable? Sorry, but clearly I don't know very much about this....:)

Medusa

Banned
Thanks for the reply. Does that mean that the tube is knackered, or is this problem repairable? Sorry, but clearly I don't know very much about this....:)

It's exactly what JayCee said strong poss you have a FAULTY TUBE.

You need an Engineer to check the TUBE and the drive circuit on the tubebase.
When you saw the Bright RED FLASH the red gun had an internal short
which most likely has also damaged the red gun drive circuit on the tubebase.
Once repaired can happen all over again if the tube is not replaced.

Gus

Standard Member
Thanks chaps. By the sound of it, not good news then. However, the latest development is that the picture is now back to normal.:confused:

If this is as potentially as terminal as it sounds, is there any point getting someone to look at it now (as things are back to normal) or should I not bother and wait for it to pack in altogether. I don't want to spend lots of money on it now, only to have it pack up again shortly and have to buy another one!

Thanks for the help so far.:)

JayCee

Distinguished Member
If this is as potentially as terminal as it sounds, is there any point getting someone to look at it now (as things are back to normal) or should I not bother and wait for it to pack in altogether.

An internal short circuit in a crt can be intermittent...it's quite common...it's likely to act up again at some point...hours...days...weeks...it's just your "Donald Duck" :D
You could call in an engineer who would test the crt by gently tapping the crt neck and observing the screen at the same time...that will often bring on the symptoms...at least you'd know.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
As JayCee says,it can be intermittent...our old Toshiba CRT developed exactly these symptoms a few yrs ago,and the fault was as described,an intermittent short in the tube.

Gus

Standard Member
Thanks for all the help guys.

The picture is currently alternating between perfect and unwatchable, so I guess I need to get someone in to look at it now!

Does anyone have any recommendations for TV repair people in the Birmingham area?

Cheers,

Gus

Medusa

Banned
Thanks for all the help guys.

The picture is currently alternating between perfect and unwatchable, so I guess I need to get someone in to look at it now!

Does anyone have any recommendations for TV repair people in the Birmingham area?

Cheers,

Gus

Sorry! Gus could not resist,Would you like us to tuck you in BED too.:D

Try Yellow Pages :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom