1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC AV32WFT1 set-up tips?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by manzo, Feb 15, 2002.

1. manzo

manzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just had this tv delivered :D, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for getting the picture set-up right, or knows of any web sites that have that advice?

Cheers,

manzo

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Normally the starting off point is to turn the brightness and contrast well down from the factory settings and take it from there.

I hope that you will be as happy with yours as I am with mine. The only problem that I have is with occasional smearing on the screen which is something that you will suffer if you have a two year old as well.

I don't always read the TV forum so if you have any problems that are not answered feel free to send me an email or PM.

Ian

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I set mine up with THX optimode which you can find on some DVD titles ( if you have access to one of course)).......this really made a big difference.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Bob,

I didn't know that you had a decent TV as well.

People keep coming to this forum asking what TV to buy and I always tell them a 50Hz JVC but they insist on buying something else and are back here a couple of weeks later complaining about it.

You don't see huge threads of complaints like you do with Sony and Tosh but I have given up and don't come in this forum any more (apart from when I am ill like today)

5. Chris Grannell

Chris Grannell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys!

I have the 28 inch version InterArts set and I must say that it is an excellent television and I have recommended it to many.

The only problem I have is a slight geomerty when using RGB. The screen aligns itself up and left.

I loose quite a big of cable and DVD onscreen info and would like to rectify this problem.

I contacted JVC and they informed me there is a way to align this, however I need to contact my local dealer and they will send someone out? :(

Does anyone have the same problem and do they know how to enter the service / setup menu's to fix it?

Thanks in Advance!

Chris

6. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a jvc 28" too. They are sweeeeeeeeet.

This is from an old post. I have altered my RGB shift so the picture is shifted to the right a few cms. (horizontal shift i think)

Have to agree with Ian J about it being a top tv. My parents have a loewe 100Hz top of the range expensive jobby, but it looks a bit wierd in 100Hz (football, motorsports, fast action looks too artificial). 50 Hz is top!

Any problems SHOUT!

:)

ice_cool

> I own a JVC AV-28WFR1EK and the Picture is one of the best I have seen. You
    > may have to adjust the geometry in the service menu if you use the RGB for
    > Satellite etc. as there is a some RGB Shift. The amount of shift is not
    > worth bothering with if you only occasionally use RGB.
    >
    > The service menu is accessed on the remote by pressing the "i" button and
    > mute at the same time, to adjust the geometry select option 4, the other
    > options are best left alone. Before you adjust any of the settings be sure
    > to write them all down so that you can return them to the defaults if you
    > cock-up. You will need to write down the settings for all modes, panoramic,
    > regular, 14:9, 16:9, 16:9 subtitle, full. To move between the modes in the
    > service menu press the red button on the remote. The up and down buttons on
    > the remote moves between the different settings the left and right buttons
    > change the value. Press "OK" to save changes or "i" to go back/exit. If you
    > change a modes settings save them before moving on to the next mode or the
    > settings return to the previous value.
    >
    > Please note you can completely knacker the TV in the service menu so only
    > make the changes if you are prepared to take that risk. The guarantee will
    > not cover meddling with geometry etc. in the service menu.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Just to re-iterate the importance of the above.

8. Chris Grannell

Chris Grannell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great mate, thanks for the help. That will save me time trying to get JVC out. It; always annoying they try to keep things secret. I guess it's in case someone who doesn't really know what they're doing start messing everything up! ;)

I've wrote down my defaults but to be honest at the moment, I've only changed my horizontal position. :)

I guess you can go in there and change Conv settings as well as pin cusion stuff ect.?

Thanks again mate!

I appreciate your help :D

Chris

9. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of buying the 28" version of the FT1, but wasn't sure about one or two things..

What's it like with RGB DVD playback? (impressive I hope), what's the flatscreen geometry like? and how straight are the borders when watching in 4:3 mode?.

Comments from actual owners would be really helpful because it looks like a great buy on paper..

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The geometry on my 32" is not perfect but it is certainly within the manufacturers tolerance. DVD reproduction is superb.

4:3 geometry on my set is bad but I don't use it at all so haven't bothered trying to tweak it. The only time that it is noticeable is on certain news items when they insert a clip in 4:3.

I am happy with the panoramic stretch mode which is one of the better implementations and is why the 4:3 geometry doesn't worry me.

11. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    IanJ,

I'm curious as to why you go for the panoramic mode. I used this at first but thought people etc looked a bit squashed.

I changed to 14:9 zoom and found this to be a good compromise. You get a bit of black border at each side (not as much as 4:3 regular) but everything retains it's correct aspect ratio. However, I'm willing to be convinced panoramic is better, it's just that it's not obvious to me why (only got the set about a month and a half ago).

Any advice appreciated.

RDB :)

PS Obviously the auto mode jumps to 'full' when a widescreen source is received.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have no reason for using panoramic apart from the fact that it seems more natural. I think that it is probably like speakers where one man's meat is another man's poison. I had a play with all of the settings when I first got it and settled on panoramic but I will have another play later and see whether I have changed my mind over the months.

I had an interesting problem last night as the colour on the RGB channel disappeared leaving a red monochrome. I fiddled with all of the settings on Sky and on the TV but nothing worked.

I poked all of the cables at the back of the digibox and lo and behold the colour was restored. I don't know which one was loose but it seemed as if the green and blue of RGB was missing.

13. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As i have the 28" one some of the effects may be different to the 32" version.

The geometry is ok, as Ian J points out.

The DVD picture via RGB is great, but you will have to fiddle with the contrast and brightness etc... to make it look better for your viewing in your room (and RGB shift).

The not so straight borders on the 4:3 mode are quite noticeable. They bend in at the top (see image). I dont use this setting anyway. I tend to have it set to auto, as so many broadcasts are either 14:9 or 16:9 or zoomed in etc....

I got it for £480 from Sound and Vision (bolton). Price matched. A good deal, but what a pity about their customer services though! (do a search!).

:)

hope this helps

ice_cool

Attached Files:

• tv.jpg
      tv.jpg
      Size:
      3.2 KB
      Views:
  14. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big thanks to Ice-cool and Ian J for those comments.

The general feeling is clearly very positive. In my case, I'd be using the 4:3 mode for ALL 4:3 material (don't like stretched faces!), so it's a good thing you posted that image...

I assume that the severity of the bending varies from set to set, so I might have a look for a decent display model. The review at www.home-entertainment.co.uk mentions the concave borders, but otherwise it's one of the most favourable reviews I've ever read!.

15. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The visual screen is the best bit of this tv.

I didn't buy it for the sound. The dolby 3-d phonic is just too wierd and un-natural! The dolby pro logic is better but is limited by the small and less powerful speakers.

But i have just got a denon 2802 and mission cinema 7 setup, so DP2 sounds a lot better.

I did a lot of research before i got this tv, but i was on a budget then. But as Ian J says, there are few jvc tv threads stating problems. I think jvc have made a niche in the market! I didn't go for the 32" cos of budget (another £200 for it), but is has 3 scarts (1 RGB) and includes a basic stand.

If you want a good tv that doesn't break the bank and can be used to upgrade your home cinema, then this is the one.

If in doubt go to currys or dixons and try them out! I did before being told off by the sales bloke (Hey! you need to move the tv around to see around the back!). I think their prices are about £600 for the 28" version. So get it from a proper dealer.

All i can say is swwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeet... :)

ice_cool

16. Chris Grannell

Chris Grannell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the set is excellent too. I have the 28" version as you all know and DVD playback is superb!

Now I've adjusted the RGB geometry the set is perfect for me. I picked mine up from Costco for around £460 with 3 years warranty so the deal was excellent!

I would highly recommend this set as I think the picture quality surpases my friend 100hz philips 32" set by far!! :D

go get one! :D

p.s. Forgot to ask, in the service menu is there any way of setting each scart / RGB / Composite picture position or does the control only change the overall picture position for all modes?

Thanks again!

Chris

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Nyquil,

If you get a set that isn't up to standard, reject it and ask for another. Keep doing this until you get one that you are happy with.

I had a play last night comparing panoramic to 14:9 again and still prefer the former. The only time that the stretch is a problem is when the picture is a large close up and the stretch distorts.

Chris,

I can't really remember but I think that the adjustments are per zoom ratio and not by socket.

18. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate all the advice and feel much more confident about buying one now. I remember someone mentioning a swirly affect on R2 DVD's (a while back), but as all of you say DVD playback is fine, I'll assume that was just a one-off or maybe a dodgy scart-lead.

I'm going to have a closer look at the display model I saw last week and take it from there. Ideally I want to have a play with the remote and cycle through some screen modes/picture settings before parting with cash, but the last time I tried that the handset didn't have any batteries and I could see staff members rapidly approaching (so I departed to avoid the hard-sell). I couldn't judge the set on that evidence alone because it was set to full 16:9 and showing a (weak) Ch 4 analogue feed!.

I'll eye it over tomorrow if I get chance and if I like what I see, I'll probably buy one before the end of the week (I suffer from a chronic lack of patience!). Obviously, if I buy one and subsequently discover that it's not much cop, you'll all be in my bad books and there'll be consequences and repercussions!.

Thanks for the push though....

19. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to Currys or Comet, Dixons and demand a demo by the sales person! Say you are serious about buying it (of course you are! but not from them!) and get those batteries put in. If they don't do that i'd call for the manager and give em what for!

Take a dvd with you and ask to connect a dvd player that they have in the store to the tv to see if the playback is good.

I had a look at the jvc web page and downloaded the manual from the download pages to see what the tv could do.

http://www.jvc.co.uk/download/ib_television.html

don't worry about the sales persons at the said stores, most of them talk utter bull, and would probably say the tv makes a cup of tea if they knew you wanted to buy the tv! :rolleyes:

Just demo demo demo!

20. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    JVC really do some excellent tellys.

I´ve got the AV28WFX1 (spanish model) its 100hz (boo!, hiss!! from 50 hz owners) but I´m really pleased with it. Excellent picture quality, it doesnt smear as badly as other 100hz tvs I´ve seen.

After living with it for a couple of years, I found the 50hz tvs to flicker like mad (a mates got the AV28WFT1 50hz) but the picture is great.

As mentioned, demo all the tvs you like and pick which suits you best.

cheers

21. JamieL

JamieL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody attempted fixing the 4:3 geometry on the 28" model? I appreciate that it will never be perfect but can it be improved?

22. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is difficult to improve as any adjustment seems to affect one of the other ratios. When I had the engineer out to look at it his advice was not to watch it in 4:3 which I didn't take to very kindly.

I expect all five gears on my car to work and would object to being told not to use third gear as it wasn't any good but in the real world I don't use 4:3 and the poor geometry doesn't worry me that much.