1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC AV32R25EKS help please.

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by cslogg, Jan 27, 2003.

1. cslogg

cslogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a 32" w/s Pro Logic set and this is the one that has taken my fancy.It is to replace my old 29" Pro Logic Toshiba.As I have been happy with Pro Logic and no nothing about amps etc I thought I would stick to it.Has anyone got anything good or bad to say regarding this set?Its a 50hz tube so is there any flicker?Or can anyone suggest a better alternative at the price (around £700)
    Have just spotted a AV32WFT1 which looks good as well,slightly more expensive.

Thanks in advance

cslogg

2. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cslogg,

Looks like we are in the same position. I have spent some time looking at the different products out there and I am satisfied that this is the best for the money for my needs.

I know 2 people who have the 28" version and they are very happy. My only (slight) worry is whether 50Hz is enough for the 32" screen but all the reviews look good.

preston.

3. jac

jac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was going to buy this set after having problems with the 100hz 32x25.

as the reviews say it is probably the best of its type in this price range.

before buying check it out with some dark scenes
    it doesnt have a very high contrast range, which can only really be noticed in dark scenes, detail in the dark areas are lost. if you can live with this then its a good buy.

4. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    jac

I take it you didn’t buy this set in the end. If so what did you get that you thought was better?

When you talk about loosing detail in the dark scenes are you referring to the “dark” RGB problem.
    If so - I have resigned myself to using S-Video connection, which by all accounts is very good.
    If not - Is there anything in the service menu which will help with the lost detail?

preston

5. jac

jac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not exchanged my 32x25 yet as i'm unsure what to exchange it for, especially after finding this forum.

I am talking about analogue picture , not ideal i know .

I entered the service menu in the shop and increased the contrast level. the black areas of the picture still seemed a bit too black compared to my 32x25 and lacked a bit of detail.

have a look yourself and see what you think in all other respects it seems like a good tv for the price.

6. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    jac

This is probably why What Video & TV only gave it a C for the picture.
    I'm going to buy anyway. I'll post a review after I've put it through it's paces.

preston

7. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    A 50Hz screen tv can only get a maximum C grade from What Video & TV, even if it's a fantastic picture, so actually a C is as good as it will get.

8. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    The picture though dark is fantastic, hand on my heart - it looked better than my FS76. I couldn't live without RGB though (i needed it for my consoles)

Don't hesitate, through RGB is good but dark, through svideo its superb.

9. TommyK

TommyK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help - Im confused!

I am confused about the RGB/S video - do you mean a dark picture watching DVD or videos OR watching TV.

I notice my set is dark watching TV stations - do you mean this can be altered? If so how exactly do you do this?

Next point - I have an analogue signal - the picture looks a bit 'snowy'. Is this normal - will it improve if I install digital TV? When I set up my old 21 in. Akai TV which is 10 years old next to the JVC the picture does not look as 'snowy' - is this usual?

What is meant by flicker? Is this the snow effect or similar to electrical interference?

Final point - buzzing centre speaker - can it be fixed?

Please help as I may be changing the set very soon!!

10. Doogy

Doogy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TommyK.......My AV28R25 had a buzzing centre speaker which was driving me nuts so raised the issue with Debenhams where I bought it from.Have been offered a replacement or another set with difference either refunded or paid by me. I had bought JVC rear speakers etc at additional expense so complained to JVC UK about this problem and gave them some more supporting info from this forum...........they've just emailed me to say they are passing this info to their engineers.........watch this space. The dark RGB bit........watch a DVD from AV1 with DVD o/p set to RGB.Then connect to AV3 and watch a DVD (remember set both to s video).RGB will be a fair bit darker I believe.

11. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    TommyK,

I think you need to get an engineer in to look at your buzzing speaker. I haven't noticed any problems with mine but I haven't give it a thorough work out yet. Watch this space.

Doogy is right - As I understand it, only RGB (scart 1) is effected with the dark problem. Your dark analogue pictures are a mystery. Perhaps the snow effect is related. It at least sounds like you are not getting good reception. I'd check with your neighbours before upgrading your aerial and/or getting a digital decoder. Sky are doing installation for £1 until the end of the month. Perhaps this is your solution.

My understanding is that flicker is not the snow effect. The snow effect is probably interference or a poor signal.

12. TommyK

TommyK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers.

Do you think I should keep with this model (cghange it) or buy something else?

What other TVs would you suggest? Phillips 6506 any good? 6515?

Also got NTL installed - better picture.. It was not possible to get Sky.