JVC AV28T67EK/Toshiba SD330E Connectivity Qs

M

mattrixdesign

I have just purchased an new TV (see below) and I am well impressed with the picture quality (via DVD)for the price. My tight budget meant I was unable to get a TV with more than 1 RGB Scart!

Here is my current setup (nowt special but serves my purposes):
TV = JVC AV28T67EK, 3 X SCARTS (1 X RGB) 1 X S-Video
DVD = Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player (Component Video, SCART and S-Video)
STB = PACE/NTL Receiver
(Console = PS2)
(Sound = Sony 5.1DD/DTS)

Currently the DVD player takes up the RGB Scart slot, the picture quality is A1, v.sharp and the blacks are black etc. Idealy I would like more RGB sockets. I appreciate that Scart RGB is the preferred choice over S-Video, but I have also read that some Toshiba players actually work better on S-Video. I don't have a decent S-Video lead so I am unable to check this. Can anyone recommend connecting the DVD player using S-Video? This would free up an RGB slot for my STB.

Alternatively I could buy a SCART to S-Video lead for the STB, would this be an improved quality over NonRGB Scart?

Then I have the PS2 connectivity issue, but I don't play it that much, I could use SCART or S-Video depending on what is left.

I would like to avoid a SCART switch box, although I do have one.

Your wise advice would be appreciated, also suggestions on cables are welcome, but I don't want to spend £££s. My exisiting SCART cables are quite bulky, can you buy high grade one that are not so chuncky and stiff?

As you probably know the best connections in order are:-

Component
RGB Scart
S Video
Composite

A non RGB scart is simply a composite connection in a BIG plug!
The difference between RGB scart and S Video is actually quite small to most eyes.

I would be tempted to leave the DVD as it is, and try a S Video the set top box.

Saying that though, my parents have an NTL box and the picture quality (due to low bandwidth) is shocking, v.v blocky - I thought SKY was bad until I saw NTL's cable....LOL

My own system is: Tosh 330 DVD to Tosh TV using component (tosh tellys have component connectors!) SKY is RGB scart to TV.

The difference between composite & RGB is quite noticable. I did a back to back test and the composite I used to use was apalling. You notice it particularly on the on screen menus with a sharp edge, on composite it was fuzzy, on RGB its much much sharper and colourful.

Hope this helps.

Denon1803, Tosh 36ZP38 TV, Tosh 330 DVD, Mission M73, Rel Quake

hey, thanks! :clap:

I haddle a fiddle last night, tested my PS2 on the TV via SCART, picture was bad, so now my PS2 is hooked up to the TV Via S-Video cable.

Can you explain one more thing, out of the 3 SCART plugs one is RGB, the other 2 I guess are composite but the manual state they are S-Video :confused: , what does this mean, can I get S-Video signals via SCART connectors? Or is it something else entirely?

As for the NTL, its not "blocky", its just not that sharp, i.e. the text on NTL is not as good as the DVD menus. So any ways to improve the NTL picture would be great.

Yes the SVideo scarts are scart sockets that are wired to accept SVideo cables - a Scart to SVideo lead is one example - in theory an svideo scart socket should pass thru the svideo data to the TV.

A scart socket can be either RGB or SVideo - but NOT both - some of the pins are used vice versa for each application.

See here for a pin explanation:-

http://www.proav.de/index.html?http&&&[url]www.proav.de/data/cables/scart-pinout.html[/URL]

the url is not posting correctly - it should be (all on one line):-

http://www.proav.de/index.html?http&&&www.proav.de/data/cables/scart-pino...uld make the picture from the NTL box better.

so, if I was to use my PS2 via SCART, but tell the TV it is an S-Video input, should I expect S-Video quality via that cable :confused: , would it be equal to using an actuall "round" type S-Video cable???

I would like to avoid using the Round Type S-Video sockets as the TV wont detect when the device is on.

Secondly, do I need to buy an "S-Video" Scart lead for the NTL box, or will it be wired for S-Video? I did look at your link but a bit too techie for me. Again is it a matter of telling the TV that its a S-Video (viaSCART) signal?

hmmm your right - unless your devices (NTL, PS2 etc) actually output S Video signals then you are no better off.....

You really need the device you are connecting to have the round S Video connectors, and use a proper S Video to Scart lead to benefit.

I suspect that both your devices actually dont output S Video - so you may be stuck here.......:(

Originally posted by Dr Hu
hmmm your right - unless your devices (NTL, PS2 etc) actually output S Video signals then you are no better off.....

You really need the device you are connecting to have the round S Video connectors, and use a proper S Video to Scart lead to benefit.

I suspect that both your devices actually dont output S Video - so you may be stuck here.......:(

once again thanks for your post.

I put the NTL Scart on "S-Video" mode last night, I had a piture but it had lots of noise and was v.fuzzy. Check the outputs on the NTL box and it stated Composite or RGB only.

Tried the same with my PS2, again same fuzzy, noise type picture, checked the options, there was a choice of RGB or CY-??-??, which I though was S-Video.

So my NTL box is back on Normal Scart and the PS2 on the true S-Video plug.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom