JVC AV28T5 warping picture

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by colinsull, Mar 26, 2006.

1. colinsull

colinsull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a JVC AV28T5 and the picture quality is brilliant - but it doesn't seem to be set up proprerly and warps inwards for the top third of the screen. This is present on analogue signal and on ntl digital (and DVD). It is very noticeable if there are vertical lines (say a window frame) near the top of the picture as they seem to curve inwards towards the centre of the screen. In addition, when set to auto picture size, the picture is presented in "zoom panaoramic" for, say, BBC1 on ntl, but not for the analogue signal. Resetting the zoom for the digital signal seems to squash the picture vertically. I can access service mode for the tv using the remote, but don't know where to go next to reset the TV picture. Any help would be gratefully received....

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

If it is a very noticable fault, then if within warranty you need to get in touch with the retailer.
    There is no magic reset button, messing arround in the service menu can void your warranty.

Nigel

3. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you need to set the picture according to whether the signal is widescreen or full-screen?

4. Robs Ryans

Robs Ryans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a CRT Phillips that does this same thing but only on the bottom inch and a half. It's kind of liek the picture is bent and drew into the base of the set like it's being unrolled like a piece of paper. If i use the widescreen function it goes away but is also very noticable on vertical lines and when a camera pans down. I don't know what to do either, it wasn't too expensive so i have moved it to the front room as it isn't quite as bad on tv (very noticeable on videogames) and i am wondering if the same problem will occur if i buy another?

5. colinsull

colinsull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input. I have actually emailed JVC - their response is that a bent picture is "normal for a widescreen tv". I have to confess I find this a bit hard to believe - especially as most service manuals go into great detail about how to correct for distortions. Would anyone agree that a bending picture is normal, or are JVC just being a bit cheeky?

6. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Faults on TVs will drive you mad if you look hard for them.
    You will be able to see bent lines, flickering ect.

In you case are you talking about a few mm or alot more.
    A term they use for a few mm is within specification.

Post a picture.

Nigel

7. helperTcell

helperTcell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same picture warp/distortion with my recently purchased JVC HV32P37. Adjusting the deflection (DEF) controls in the service menu (specifically TRAPEZ, EW BIN & COR UP) sorted it on this model.