1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC AV28R25 Geometry Problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by s7uar7, Mar 6, 2003.

1. s7uar7

s7uar7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all
    I had a new JVC AV28R25 delivered from Sound & Vision yesterday. At first I was happy with it until I went in to 4:3 (regular) mode, and the vertical lines are anything but vertical, and change significantly when the picture changes (very noticable wavey effect). I rang S&V and they are going to organise an engineer to come out, but is there anything they'll actually be able to do? Even my girlfriend noticed it and she's decidedly unpicky when it comes to this sort of thing. I would feel bad about sending it back as the service from S&V has been great, but as I read on a previous post, I'm not happy spending £500 on something that can't even draw a straight line.

Any comments appreciated. If only I'd found this forum before I bought it!

Stuart

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll never get perfect geometry on a CRT, but the engineer should be able to 'tweak' it a little to make it a bit better.

The geometry will deviate somewhat as the picture changes (expand/contract) because of the contrast differences. 'Lower-end' TVs are more prone to this.

Problems with 4:3 geometry are always more noticeable than those in 16:9 because of the black bars which draw your eyes to the edges on either side. Again, I haven't seen a perfect 4:3 image on a CRT yet (though obviously some are better than others).

3. s7uar7

s7uar7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's not so much the fact that it's not straight - I could live with that - it's more that the expanding / contracting is so noticable, up to about 2cm each side.

I think what did it for me was ringing up a mate who has a Sony 28" and getting him to watch the same channel at the same time and his wasn't changing at all. I'm within the 7 days, so I think I'll return it and spend a bit more (after another 2 months of trying to decide what to buy)

Stuart

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, I have a Sony now, but I had your exact TV for a few days before then and the Sony is much better with this (better power supply for starters), but it still expands/contracts a little (they all do to certain degrees). It's not noticeable during normal viewing though (hence why you couldn't see it) - only with calibration tests.