Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

JVC AV28R25 audio problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jrdav, Mar 31, 2005.

1. jrdav

jrdav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all -

I've had my JVC AV28R25EKS for about 2.5 years and been very happy with it but it's recently developed a problem with the sound that makes it unusable. The picture's fine but there's either no sound at all or there's a REALLY loud sort of machine-gun-like beeping that can't be turned down or stopped without powering off the set.

Just wondered if anyone else has seen (heard!) of anything like this and if people think it can be fixed via the service menu (just found out about that - thanks! - but am at work now so can't try it) or if I need to get it repaired. Thankfully it's got a 5-year warranty so that's not a problem, I hope...

The problem mus tbe with the TV itself because I can plug in a spare portable and see all the usual cable and terrestrial channels and watch videos and DVDs.

The weird things are

1) the problem started immediately after our 16-month-old stuffed a mobile phone into the video which is hooked up to one of the SCART sockets. Straight after that we lost the sound and after switching off and on again it came up with the blue 'JVC' setup screen followed by no sound/very loud beeping... Can a mobile in the video *really* screw up the whole set...?

2) at least one menu item has now disappeared - the 'Digital Surround' option has just vanished! Also, the
    'Sound Setting' menu is different to that in the manual - there's no 'Stereo I/II' or 'Speaker On/Off' options but
    there are 'BBE' and 'Hyper Surround' options which I don't *think* were there before but can't remember.

So.... helppppp please!!!

:confused:

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    The EEPROM (Memory) in the set has become corrupted and now thinks you have a T25 (the non-Dolby version of the R25). You can reset it by going to the Service Menu but if you don't feel confident doing it, leave it to the engineer (who probably won't know this).

Press "i" and Audio Mute to get to the Service Menu
    Press the down arrow
    There should be three settings there:

Pro-Logic
    3D Phonic
    Speakers

They should all say "Yes" or "On" next to them but some or all will be showing "No". To change them, cursor up/down to select and then cursor left/right to toggle on/off.

When all say "Yes", press OK to store the new settings. Power off at mains then back on and your machine gun should be history.

3. jrdav

jrdav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darn, thanks for the info but it doesn't seem to be quite right, or my set is more screwed than I thought.

In the service menu i get 7 options:

1. IF 2. V/C
    3. AUDIO 4. DEF
    5. VSM PRESET 6. VPS
    7. SHIPPING (OFF)

and under audio (3) I get a bunch of stuff, some of which looks like gibberish to me...

1. ERROR LIMIT = 0A0H
    ERROR RATE = 7F0H
    C_AD_BITS = 00000000
    2. A2 ID THR = 19H
    DETECTION REG = 00H
    3. BASS +5
    4. TREBLE +0

nothing about Pro-Logic, 3D Phonic or Speakers in any of the 7 options.

guess I'll be calling in the engineer...

thanks for your help.

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Did you press the down arrow after going into the Service Menu? It is that which gives you the options I described.

5. jrdav

jrdav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean the P Up/Down (Channel Up/Down) arrow ?

6. jrdav

jrdav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...because if that's what you mean it doesn't do anything, just stays on the main Service Menu page with options 1 to 7...

sigh...

7. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Oops - forgot to mention. You need to press the "i" and audio mute combination twice to get to the second Service menu.

8. jrdav

jrdav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah-ha! Perfect. Tried this last night and, sure enough, got into the second menu. Made the suggested changes and it's
    all working again.

The moral of the story is - don't stick a mobile phone in your VCR! (Might not have anything to do with it but it's still good advice...)

GaryB - I owe you a beer!! Many thanks.

9. 65ht

65ht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have excatly same problem and i have done:
    pro log: on
    3D: on
    TV speak: on

But problem is still on.