1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC AV28R25 - a brief review and a question

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Squirrel God, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I just got a JVC AV28R25. Let me say that after my past troubles I now have a TV that I'm happy with! Picture is sharp and clear, there's a good contrast range, and the out-of-the-box geometry is great (there's a minor bend top right and top left that can't be adjusted using the service menu: +1 or -1 bends it too much either way, so that tells you just how minor the bend is!). Also, there are no moire patterns or any shadowy boxes or any dotty swirls at all (not even when watching anamorphic DVDs - I have tested regions 1-4)!!!! Seems JVC have got their act together on this front at last (or maybe I just got lucky :rolleyes: ). Sound is bassy due to a 40W subwoofer, although there is some minor speaker buzz on the odd occassion, but this only occurs in 3D PHONIC mode. There's also a great feature that lets you set the second scart socket to output whatever is coming in from one of the other scart sockets (or from the TV itself)!! So no need for me to buy an extra cable to hook up the DVD player to the VCR (macrovision is disabled on my player ;) )!! Overall, this is a good value buy IMHO. They say that the heavier the electronics equipment, the better it is? Well this TV weighs 49kg so read into that what you will...... (I still managed to lift it up onto the stand however - it's all in the technique ;) )

Ok - now for the problem :devil: !! The picture tilts upwards towards the right by 0.5cm. Now, ordinarily, this should be a minor problem that you cure via the user menu.....but bizarrely this model does NOT include a rotation or tilt function in the user menu or even the service menu (I guess that's how they keep the costs down huh :mad: ) !!!!

So, does anybody know if there's some other menu that can be accessed to adjust this (i.e. apart from pressing i and mute on the remote)?? Or maybe I've missed one of the options in the service menu???? If not, how can this be adjusted??? :(

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Cheers :p

2. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This can sometimes be caused by interference from nearby objects. On my Philips PW6006 I noticed that the screen bends up by 1.5mm (I really had to look hard to notice it) towards the right. I moved my telly a bit, so it was further away from a radiator, and it became perfectly horizontal bizzarely. Maybe you could give that a go?

Had to put my telly back where it was though for practical reasons, so I've learned to live with it. 5mm would be too much for me to bear thogh. Unfortunately the standard or service menu on mine has no tilt function either. Tilt functions only seem to become common once you get to 32" tvs :(

John

3. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Squirrel God

I'll be getting this TV soon. Can you tell me the following:
    If I hook up my My digibox to Scart 1, hook up my VCR to Scart 2. The digibox will automatically hook up to the VCR? The reason I ask is, I can then use the RGB loopthrough on the Digibox for my DVD player. Finally would this set up also hook up my DVD player to the VCR. Phew, hope you can make out what I'm asking.

Thanks!

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

Thank you for this - my telly is also near a radiator so I thought it might help if I moved it - but I just tried and sadly it didn't :(

I had two Philips 28PW6515s before I had this TV. They both had tilt functions and were only 28" sets. What's really annoying is that, in both cases, I never needed to use the tilt function!!!! Now I need a tilt function and there isn't one there :mad: How unlucky can I be? :(

I've therefore asked for an engineer to come and adjust the tilt. From my reading of tilt problems on the internet, it seems that he's going to have to turn the scanning coils on the yoke a little in order to compensate for the tilt. I hope this is something that can be done in my home (anyone know???) - otherwise, I'm gonna have to send this baby back :( and have to get another model (one with a tilt function this time!!).

Cheers,

Squirrel

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but it's not automatic. You have to go into the user menu and set it to output the Scart 1 signal to Scart 2. This is very easy to do - you just make an arrow on the screen join Scart 1 and Scart 2 - snazzy! (The manual explains this function really poorly though!!!).

I'm not entirely sure, but unless you have Macrovision disabled on your DVD player (i.e you have had it region modified and this mod included a macrovision "fix"), this may cause poor picture quality due to the copy protection. I don't have a digibox though, so you'd need to check with someone who does have one - sorry! :rolleyes:

Yes, I sent my DVD to the VCR but I have macrovision disabled so it wasn't a problem. You just need to change what signal is output via Scart 2, using the user menus.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Squirrel

6. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks.

7. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Squirrel

In the previous model, the WFT1, an RGB picture could not be adjusted at all.

Can you adjust contrast, brightness, sharpness etc on a RGB feed on the new model?

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can only adjust brightness for RGB.... and it's beginning to annoy me :mad: I can understand not adjusting colour as this is preset, and sharpness shouldn't need to be adjusted for RGB because it should already be sharp (e.g. DVD, digibox). The real killer is contrast - no reason at all why JVC should not permit you to adjust this (bet cost is an issue though).

Are there any other manufacturers that you know of that don't permit contrast to be adjusted on RGB?

(S-Video input is comparable with RGB by the way)

9. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not sure about other manufacturers. Glad to hear the S-Video input is of comparable quality. Thanks for all the info and enjoy your telly!

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Shez.

An update for those who are interested ...

Tilt could have been rectified by the engineer in my home, from what I could gather from him when he turned up. However, the inability to control the contrast on RGB input finally blew my fuse in the end. I just found the default RGB picture too dull and lacking in "oomph". To be honest, it looked cack as far as I was concerned and was beginning to give me eye strain. From my (limited) understanding, this is to do with the setting for the peak white limiter in the set (which cannot be adjusted in the service menus). Well, the S-Video input looks great, but it ain't as good as RGB and that's what I want so it's going back and I'm getting a refund :(

This is a real shame because otherwise I would've been really satisfied with this set. WHY OH WHY DO JVC PERSIST IN SETTING A LOW DEFAULT FOR RGB CONTRAST THAT CANNOT EVEN BE ADJUSTED IN THE SERVICE MENU??????!!!!!!! :mad:

After my previous widescreen woes, I'm now beginning to run out of options!!! Help!!!! I ONLY WANT A BLOODY TELLY THAT LOOKS HALF DECENT - IS IT REALLY SO MUCH TO ASK???!!! :rolleyes:

Ok, rant over - squirrel is calm now :p

11. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Take a look at the Sony 28LS35. It's a 50Hz set. You can pick them up for £500 without a stand or £600 with one. Can anyone comment on whether or not the RGB picture is adjustable?

12. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Squirrel God.

I'd recommend you look at the Philips 6006.I've got the 32in and it's brilliant.It's reviewed and talked about on this website and is very cheap from Unbeatable.

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wayne,

Thanks. Have been considering this model, but am a bit wary of Philips because I sent back two 28PW6515s for a variety of problems. However, I was gutted about this because apart from the geometry and focus errors I had, the colours and contrast (and sharpness, apart from in the corners where it blurred) were fantastic IMO. The contrast was especially great. I used to be hung up on flat screens but am not anymore, but the one thing that does bother me about the 6006 is it only has 10W audio output from the internal speakers (I don't have a home cinema amp and don't want one). The PW6515 had 30W and a decent bit of bass - did me just fine.... Can you comment on the sound for the 6006? Is it really tinny or is it ok?

Cheers

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hhhmmm ..... looking at the pics of the 28PW6006 and the 32PW6006 on the Argos web site, it would appear that the 28" version has the same chassis as the PW6515 :eek: The 32" 6006 has a totally different stand and chassis, so if I did get this telly, it'd have to be the 32" version - I can't go through the same $hit that I went through with the PW6515s... not sure I have room for a 32" TV :(

15. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The 32in is not that much bigger surely?

The sound isn't upto much I'm afraid imo.There is bass and treble adjustments and it goes louder than you'd think.You'd have to listen to one in the flesh.Try your local co-op superstore,not the corner shops :).I have external amplificaton,so this doesn't bother me.

I've had a problem with one Philips.I had a Philips that had a visible line down the centre of all sources,but this one is very impressive at focusing to every square millimetre,the best I've seen.Geometry is spot on with tilt adjust and there is service menu access.

It's worth trying a Philips again and if you don't like the sound of this one,the next models up have a subwoofer.The sound got reviewed as being very good.

Have you read the reviews on this site?

Unbeatable do one without a stand for £80 less.This is the one I've got.

S-Video from my Sony 725 DVD player is amazing.

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the detailed info Wayne - it's appreciated. The TV has to go in a very restricted space so 32" might make all the difference - will measure things up though and consider moving some furniture around! Yes I have read the reviews on this site - very compelling. I wouldn't use S-Video for my DVD player as I prefer RGB (see my reply to your other post). Do you know if you can adjust contrast via the RGB input on the 6006?

Cheers

17. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do a search on the 6006. A lot of people are complaining about interference problems in RGB mode.

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, just been reading those now! I haven't got a TV Link VCR, which seems to cause most of the problems, so I wasn't worried about it at first - but then I'm likely to change my VCR in the next 12 months so ..... the search continues!

Did you get your AV28R25 yet Shez? How are you finding it?

19. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No, I haven't placed my order yet. Got some exams coming up so I thought I'd wait till they're over. I'll be getting a set before the World Cup. So I can watch it in my bedroom!
    Out of interest, what problems did you have with your 6515? Did you notice the processing fault?

20. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Everything can be adjusted in RGB,just like analogue terrestrial.

What's this about VCR's.I'm using a SVHS JVC and the picture is the best I've seen from VHS,in VHS and SVHS output?

21. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shez - Oh gawd yes! Geometry was truly terrible and wouldn't adjust in the service menu - lines bent to the right, but I could only adjust further to the right, couldn't adjust leftwards at all!! Also, the picture was "compressed" down a 1" strip that ran the full length of the right hand edge of the tube and lines were bent as they exited from the top. In the 2nd set that I had, I had all these problems plus all 4 corner areas of the picture were blurred (quite large corner areas as well!). The 2nd set also made a hell of a lot of cracking-like noises during operation (a few times it made me jump - the noise was THAT loud!!).

Wayne - Thanks for RGB adjusting info. I read on one of the threads here that the interference on RGB that people were experiencing on the PW6006 was not present when someone used an old, non-TV-link-capable VCR. Can't remember which thread though, sorry!

22. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    My mate has had one of these for a few weeks and has just had to get an engineer sent out. Whilst viewing Sky, the tv randomly switches between the various widescreen modes. Last night it also switched to alternate AV socket which nothing was plugged into! His Sky box is one of the dinky white Pace ones. I have advised him to turn off 'Scart Control' from the box to see if that changes anything.
    Any ideas what is going on.

Cheers.

23. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +891
    kwangomango

Tell him to switch the AUTO ratio mode to Panoramic. If it´s left on AUTO it will keep switching/zooming. When left on Panoramic it will switch automatically to FULL for anamorphic broadcasts and back to PANORAMIC for normal stuff.

Press the RED button on the remote to access the different modes.