JVC AV28447SK: Headphone Socket & Speakers Problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Dunedin397, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Dunedin397

Dunedin397

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone,

I've owned a JVC 28R47SK for about 5 months now and I'm generally happy with the set. I use headphones a fair bit in the later part of the evenings but last night the headphone socket seems to have failed.

When I put the jack into the socket, the TV's speakers should be cut off and the menu option to manage the surround mode is disabled. This isn't happening, some sound is coming through the headphones but the TV's speakers are still going.

The other problem is that when switching to standard stereo mode, there's no dialogue coming from the speakers, only the sub-woofer!

If I put a tie wrapper (the small ones that come with most wiring) or a stretched paper-clip into the headphone socket and press to the left, the TV's speakers are cut off. If I press it over to the right the dialogue returns to the stereo mode!

Can anyone explain what's happenning? My own guess is that something's broken in the socket and somehow is turning part of the TV's speakers off without the headphone jack in, but is somehow preventing the whole of the headphone jack working correctly.

An engineer is coming out but is this something that can be repaired on site? I'm loathe to let the set go out for a repair, I'd rather have a replacement. The headphone socket on this set is pretty cheap and nasty as far as I can see, it's a plastic block that sticks out, almost as an afterthought.

Cheers,

Dunedin

2. Dunedin397

Dunedin397

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I've just realised I've mistyped the TV model in the header.

Cheers,

Dunedin