1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC AV-32WFT1 is it as good as the reviews

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mancubas, Jan 10, 2002.

1. mancubas

mancubas
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

Read a couple of reviews, is this set as good as the reviews.

If there is any disadvantages please let me know.

Cheers, in advance.

2. BigLandman

BigLandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone give a few impressions of the NTSC playback of the JVC 32FT1? any of that 'moiré' (sp?) patterning?

After recent set-backs i'm *still* looking for a widescreen TV, and would appreciate any input.

Thanks.....

3. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought a 32" FT1 from unbeatable in December pretty much based on the glowing reports in this forum (I also tried trawling round the shops but couldn't find one being fed by a decent source).

The set had three pretty major problems for me:

1) The often reported terrible 4:3 geometry.

2) Moire - fan shaped, "dotty" line patterns at both edges of the screen - most noticable in anamorphic NTSC.

3) Very noticable flicker with NTSC in one corner of the screen.

Now, I may have been unlucky but I decided that even though I may have been able to improve the 4:3 geometry in the service menu I probably wouldn't have been able to do anything about the other NTSC problems.

I got a full refund from unbeatable very quickly and ended up going to John Lewis to buy a Sony KD32DX40 that I'm pretty happy with (apart from it only having one RGB SCART but that's literally another story).

Ronnie

4. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my set since the summer and the only major disadvantage is the geometry problems in 4:3 mode. I don't use this mode though so it is not really a problem for me. I have not noticed any of the flicker or moire patterns that RonnieBr got on his set

Apart from the 4:3 geometry problems the TV is superb for the price and DVD's and digital TV look pin sharp and very cinematic, I would highly recommend it. But as always before you buy go and demo it first.

5. BigLandman

BigLandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian (or anyone with an FT1), have you tried any NTSC DVDs (like region1 stuff) on your JVC? How do they look? the pattern that Ronnie describes is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. It's my only concern with this telly, because my brother's 4:3 JVC (that has a 16:9 mode) is great until you try an anamorphic NTSC DVD, at which point the picture shows up a distracting pattern made of small lines.

It's a strange phenomenon, though, because PAL DVDs look REALLY nice. this may be the reason for all the praise JVCs get - the owners aren't into getting R1 DVDs?

can someone prove this theory wrong? because I'm really tempted by the FT1, but i've got quite a few NTSC DVDs

Thanks everyone

6. Andrew_arkless

Andrew_arkless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ive got the 28" WFT1, I agree with Ian - the only problem with mine was the 4:3 geometry, I tweeked this (even though I dont use this mode) in the service menu and its OK now.

I've got a few region 1 NTSC discs but I've only watched one fully just last night (The Matrix) - The picture was great, there was no moire pattern & none of this dotty stuff at the edge, I squashed the pic in the service menu to check for this on both sides and it was fine. There was no discernable flicker either.

7. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BigLandman, I have got about 30-40 R1 NTSC discs and have watched all of them at least once. I have never noticed this flickering problem or Moire patterning - or any other problem come to that. R1 discs look just as good as there R2 cousins on the JVC TV.

8. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Andrew_arkless
    Ian Cox

I have alo got this set. I was thinking of getting a multi region DVD player. Is yours connected via RGB or S Video? Are region 1 dics compatible with both input methods?

9. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes both RGB and S-Video works fine for R1 discs on the SCART sockets. I Have not tried S-Video on the din plug input on the front though with R1 discs.

10. Russell

Russell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the WFR and the RGB picture is stunning with all sources. The off air pictures aren't that great (a bit tizzy looking) and I was very disappointed with the s-video as it is virtually indistinguishable from composite.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have the same set with the same 4:3 geometry problems. Most of my DVDs are region 1 and I have not noticed anything unusual on playback

12. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A question for all you JVC owners. When I'm feeding my digibox through RGB Scart, I have no control over colour brightness etc. Is this the norm?

13. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shez- That's what I've found on my 28" JVC S2 also. When watching DVD's though an RGB-capable scart, the only alterable parameters are brightness and colour temperature. It's a bit of a pain actually because I've got 2 separate DVD players and one outputs a sharper image than the other. That wasn't a problem with my previous sets, but the JVC won't allow me to compensate for the differences (The Tosh is a bit sharp, the LG is a bit soft). I'm convinced the contrast should be slightly higher too.

There are some settings in the service menu that sound like they relate to RGB presets, but I haven't dared tamper with any of them yet.

14. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nyquil, from your other post, you mentioned you're going to swap the S2 for the WFT1. As far as I'm aware they are identical apart from the chassis. Saying that, however, my WFT1 doesn't suffer from any of the S2 problems you mentioned. Let me know if you get the RGB thing going.
    p.s. write down all the original settings if you're even thinking of tampering with the hidden menus.

15. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that aswell, but I'm sure they'll have made changes to the screen itself and how it's alligned in the new shell (I'm guessing that's what could be causing the pattern effect). Either way, all the other S2's I looked at had the problem to varying degrees (especially in 'full' mode) and another member of this forum tried 2 different S2's and both of those suffered from the same flaw aswell.

Saying that, however, my WFT1 doesn't suffer from any of the S2 problems you mentioned.

Exactly!. Thing is, I'm more than happy with the set overall, it's just that anamorphic DVD's look naff because both sides of the screen are always faintly obscured. TBH, I'm not sure what my plan is now, although I'd certainly try a Philips 6006 (if I can't find an acceptable JVC that is). I hate the way it's 'pot-luck' when you buy something because the set that turns up at your house is never quite the same as the showroom models you looked at (different standards of geometry/convergence etc). I suppose I may aswell try another S2 first, but I'm certainly not optimistic about it.

Let me know if you get the RGB thing going.
    p.s. write down all the original settings if you're even thinking of tampering with the hidden menus.

Don't worry, I wouldn't leave anything to chance with a £750 TV!. I'll have a play with the settings tomorrow and see what improvements can be made (if any)...

16. BigLandman

BigLandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback, I ordered the WFT1 earlier today. I went for the 28" set though - the extra £250 will almost buy me an Xbox!

About that RGB thing - I don't think you're supposed to be able to adjust the colour on any RGB picture. the way RGB displays red green and blue in the picture means that the colour is always perfectly balanced. or something like that. I don't really know the science behind it, but you can't adjust the colour in an RGB picture - that’s probably why it looks so good.

Anyway, thanks guys

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this model form Empire in December and it had the exact same faults as you described, the flickering in the bottom left corner was given me eye ache. At the time I searched the internet to try and find someone who had the same problem, but to no avail.

I then spent 4 weeks trying different cables,equipment etc. Finally satisfied that it was a problem with the TV, I contacted Empire. They insisted on sending round an engineer from Circuit Tech of Bolton.

A week later the Engineer turned up. I showed him the problem and explained that it was most noticable with a NTSC/PAL 60 display. He nodded his head and said it was the tube. The whole time he never took his hands out of his pockets. He then arranged for it to be taken away to be looked at.

A few days later two scruffy individuals turned up to collect the television. I had been told by the engineer that they would have packaging for it. All they had was a dirty blanket in the back of the van. They also ripped off the cardboard that I had placed over the screen to protect it. I started getting worried, even more so when they sat it down in the middle of the road outside my house. It was raining at the time.:mad: Before they left I gave them an evelope which contained a detailed account of the problem.

A week later I received a phone call form Ciruit Tech. They were returning the Television, they could find nothing wrong with it.

A few days later two differnet men turned up with the television. I set it up and showed them the problem. I asked them if it had been set up with an NTSC input. The answer was no. They stood there with blank expressions. Not only that, the geometry had now been messed up. One of the men phoned his office and was given some instructions. He then sat trying to rectify the geometry problem for nearly an hour, but made it worse. They then decided to take the television back again.

Another week later the television was returned. This time two different individuals came with it. They just brought it in and left it. I'm sure I heard wheels screeching as they drove off. The geometry was now ok, but the original problem was still there. I phoned Empire and they sent out their carrier to collect it. Two days after collecting it they phoned again and said the television had a major fault. So much for Circuit Tech.

Today I have taken delivery of a replacement JVC. There is a slight flicker on the top right in NTSC, only noticable on certain scenes. But it has none of the problems of the last set and is acceptable.

Anyway I thought I would post this short story in case anyone else gets the same problem. I wouldn't want them to go through the same hassle.