1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC AV-28x4 Display Problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by spuddy0000, May 1, 2005.

1. spuddy0000

spuddy0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently brought a JVC AV-28x4 Widescreen TV which I have the following problem.

When viewing a 4.3 format broadcast I get the normal black banding left and right of the screen but the vertical lines curve into the middle! There is about a 1-1.5cm difference in the thickness of the lines at the top and middle.Picture attached)

I have contacted the company I brought the TV from and the told me its because the TV is a 16.9 widescreen and not designed for 4.3 format. Yet the settings has a 4.3 auto display feature!

It would also seem that when viewing programs any vertical lines in the broadcast i.e door frames also curve so it would seem to be a tube problem.

You comments are welcome.

Attached Files:

2. swilt1

swilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Spuddy,

Sorry I can not help on your problem, I was just about to order the 32inch set. Apart from the line problem how do you find the picture / sound :lease:

Thanks in advance

Swilt

3. Isamu Chan

Isamu Chan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. I have this TV.

The problem you describe is one of geometry. I have noticed things like this on my set too.

If you pay close attention, you may notice that different images change the 4:3 border lines. Sometimes it curves in, sometimes out ... and most times it's pretty straight.

If your image is constantly curved in, a visit to the service menu may help. Use the "i" and mute buttons to access it; but don't change any setting if you don't have an idea what you're doing and ALWAYS WRITE DOWN EVERY DEFAULT VALUE. I think, just going by memory, that the options you need are in the no.4 def. menu ... perhaps the tw_pin setting. But I stress: this is from memory and please don't alter these settings unless you feel comfortable doing so and always note the original settings so you can reset them. If you wish to be completely safe, get an engineer out.

Others have complained about this set's geometry. At first it didn't bother me, then it really did ... but I've pretty much simmered down about it. Despite service menu alterations you probably won't get a superb picture out of it (but the set has many upsides too). I console myself by remembering that my second choice TV model, a Sony, also has a bad reputation for geometry. ... Role on affordable, perfect LCDs, SEDs, OLEDs.

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,937
    It is a geometry problem. It needs to be setup by an engineer, do not attempt it yourself if it is still under guarantee.