1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jvc 36p38 Argghh!!!! picture quality??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by markfto, Dec 16, 2004.

1. markfto

markfto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

After reviewing for ages I had decided to order the above model (hd capacity, I know that has now changed with sky etc). But I have been in to my local currys and even with everything turned off digiscan etc the picture was awful and yet the philips and toshiba models next to them had a clear picture.
    the picture had digital artefacts all over it and was just very grainy and the colours even after I changed lthem ooked poor.
    How is the reception with this tv through ntl or sky?
    Is this the reason why they are so cheap at the moment?

2. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having worked in dixons group, i can assure you that the tvs are never set up right in-store, and are usually fed with a terrible analogue feed. the tv was probably trying its best to handle the fuzzy picture, and this was causing all the artefacts and such.

this family of TV is excellent with most sources when its fed directly i.e sky, freeview, cable, DVD.

ask the dudes in currys to play a dvd through the component or RGB Scart connection. this should put your mind at rest.

3. Totalnoobee

Totalnoobee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one of these and in my case analogue broadcasts are crappy at best, with digital (DVB) be it satellite or RGB depending very much on the broadcast PQ, usually very crappy with live sports and up to very good with movies.
    I use an HTPC as source, connected to the component input and confugured for 1776x1000i (1920x1080i without the overscan), I also have a DVB-T card so I can watch free to air. DVDs upscaled with FFDShow and Dscaler 5 codec or NVidia's are nothing short of jaw dropping, HDTV WMV is even better and carefully tweaked DVB broadcasts can also be great (for example, CSI has amazing PQ).
    In its day I tried a Philips DTT STB and didn't like it, this TV is not too keen on RGB inputs.
    If you plan to use this TV mainly for broadcats (analogue or digital) watching I'll look somewere else, If you watch DVDs or you're ready to go the HTPC way look no further.
    I'm very, very happy with it, but then I hardly ever watch RF, 95% of the time only DVDs.
    Cheers

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    properly set-up they are superb..... and Xbox via component is great but like the PD30 panny RGB is not the best input better results from S-video (this TV was designed for none EU regions hence RGB support is not too hot.... but all 36" CRT's have major issues at least P38 Geometry is good.... unlike some others.....

5. markfto

markfto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be watching ntl through cable 80% of the time, poss getting sky in future and dvds for 20% both through scart. :confused:

Would it be worth me getting an av box to feed the tv a better input?

Or would I be better getting one of my orginal shortlist ie:

Phlilips 32pw9509 Although I like watching football....and from the posts
    jvc 32d40
    thomson 32wh643
    Panasonic 32pd50 or tx 40

Or is the JVC reception ok on ntl??

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,239
    I don't think thats a realistic question to ask a Currys employee.

7. Bonex

Bonex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this tv any good with 30fps progressive dvd's? I mean, this tv changes the framerate to 75Hz, how does it work with a 30fps show? Do the images become jerky?

8. markfto

markfto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw a dvd on the 36 at currys today, shrek and it was through the scart, left me pondering which tv again!! Was alot better picture but shrek is computer animated and so it was hard to judge how it is with normal ntl??

decisions, decisions, decisions!
    32d40
    32pw9618, 32pw9509?? Thomson 32wh643??