1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC 28wfr1ek dark picture? Help!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Kris_P, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Kris_P

Kris_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've just bought the above tv, I dunno if it's just me, but the picture seems to lack detail in dark scenes i.e it's almost impossible to differentiate between different shades of black. This can be corrected by turning the brightness up but this makes the whole picture look "washed out" and grey.
    i have played around with all the setting's contrast, tint etc. but to no avail.
    Does anyone know if there is a solution to this problem? or is this a "feature" of this set?

Regards
    Kris

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Have you tried turning off the ECO Mode??

This can darken the picture when you watch with the lights off.

3. Kris_P

Kris_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, tried it with the eco mode off i still have the same problem(Only it's 10x worse with eco ON).
    I have just found how to get into the service mode and i have turned up the preset contrast. I can now get a perfect picture when watching dvd's via rgb, but now when i watch a broadcast station the contrast is far too high i.e. the whites are far too bright!!
    I can't seem to be able to find a compromise in brightness/contrast when switching between sources, the g/f goes mad evey time i reach for the remote now 'cos i'm "always messing with the bloody thing"
    Does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the preset's according to which source is in use or to adjust the contrast for the tuner without affecting the scarts?

Regards
    Kris.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    I´d be careful playing around in the service menu, make sure you right settings down before you change them as I dont think there is a default setting.

What you could do is use the Tint modes (not perfect but worth a go). Set the Normal one for dvd etc and then use either Warm or Cool for your tv viewing. The TV will remember each of the settings.

I have a slightly different model to you but my Contrast setting is about a fifth of maximum, Brightness is about 3/5ths, Sharpness about 2/5ths and colour about 2/5ths, Hue about 1/5th. This was set up with the AVIA test disc for R1 dvd playback. Looks pretty good for R2 dvd playback as well. I leave the ECO mode off and also the VNR & Digipure set to MIN.

Cheers