1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC 28P37 60HZ RGB Scart Issues

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Barzo, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    A strange one this.

Last night, and for the first time, I tried a R1 DVD on my multi-region 420 DVD recorder. Imagine my surprise when the TV channel colours completely changed (purple skin tones anyone?) and the picture moved up the screen and displayed a few inches of picture noise at the bottom. After much experimentation, involving swapping Scarts, etc. and trying my X-box out, I found out the following:

(i) NTSC playback on the TV still works, either through component video (Prog scan or interlace, through my Pioneer 575 player), or Scart, provided the Scart input on the TV and output on the player is S-Video or Video.
    (ii) NTSC playback on any of the DVD machines (575, 420 DVR) through RGB Scart does not work, in the following ways:
    (a) If the component is connected to AV1, a 50Hz (PAL) signal is displayed in RGB, a 60HZ or NTSC signal is replayed in Composite video. The TV switches to a composite display, as evidenced by the usual composite bug bears on screen. This happens whether the DVD player/recoder is set to NTSC output or PAL60, and whether the TV system is set to AUTO or selected. Likewise, the X-Box when set to 50HZ replays in RGB, but when set to 60HZ, replays in composite.
    (b) On AV2, a 50HZ signal displays properly in RGB. A 60HZ signal, from either DVD or X-Box source, creates the strange colours/noise on the bottom third of the screen issue.

My questions are these:

(i) Is this a design issue?
    (ii) If not, can the fault be remedied through the service menus, or is there any way to work around it?
    (iii) Does the set need to go back for repair (it is under guarantee!)?

Help, anyone! :lease:

Barzo

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Have you contacted JVC ? I was just looking at this set (and the idtv version) but the ntsc will only be going through the component in for the dvd player.

I like this forum, people have potential problems before you do :)

3. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    sounds like its faulty to me i have the 32" version and do not have this problem get someone out to it and show them the problem.

4. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Thanks for all replies.

I think it is time to contact Allders and get this checked.

GaryB - you still around? Any comments/helpful hints?

5. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Re: the above problem (which still persists, as I have not had time yet to arrange for someone to come and see the set), I've had the following response from JVC:

'Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. This is a strange problem. The fact that you
    played a region one DVD on a multi-region player should not have made any
    difference to playback on the TV. TVs are system sensitive, but not region
    sensitive. There must have been something about the signal from that
    particular DVD that caused it to behave in that way.If the picture on your
    TV is otherwise normal, there is nothing wrong with the TV. Assuming no-ne
    has altered the TV settings, it must be something to do with the DVD video
    player.'

I've since written back, explaining that the TV settings have not been altered and that I doubt the problem is equipment related, and have attempted to restate the problem:

'Dear JVC,

It is strange, but it is clearly not the player, as it works with a friends TV.
    Plus, the DVD works if I select video or S-video, just not RGB.

Plus, it is not only the DVD. The X-box also displays the same problem in RGB,
    not if running at 50HZ, but if I select 60hZ.

Therefore, I cannot see how it can be the sources. NTSC runs at 60hZ refresh
    rate, which is why I think the problem is 60hZ.

I repeat that on AV1 (RGB and video only input), a 50HZ (DVD Pal signal or X-box
    50Hz signal) the TV displays a RGB picture without problem. Swap to DVD NTSC
    (either pure or Pal 60, both of which run at 60HZ) or X-Box 60Hz signal and the
    picture goes to Video, not RGB (as evidenced by the quality of the picture, and
    also the options which are available on SuperDigipure (Auto does not function
    on RGB).

On AV2 (RGB, S-video or video), a 50 HZ signal, from whatever source, works fine
    in all input modes. An RGB signal in 60hz (Pal60 or pure NTSC, or X-box 60Hz)
    does not work at all. Either the colours go off completely, and/or there is a
    band of noise at the bottom of the screen.

Emphatically, it is nothing to do with the DVD player or, indeed, the X-box.

Is there something which can be fixed by service intervention?'

I'm still awaiting a response.

So, anyone else had this problem with an X-box in 60hz mode, or an NTSC/Pal60 DVD player (particuarly Pioneer?).

Also, is there something in the service menu that might sort this problem out?

Ta

6. Bonex

Bonex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a review of the HV-28P37 in an Italian home theater magazine, and they had the very same problem.
    They said that the RGB input is rather noisy and shows some diagonal fine lines scrolling over the image. They tried to change cables and player (a Denon DVD A11) but couldn't fix it. They thought it could have been their set, but after searching on various forums they discovered that the problem is common between other owners of this set.
    And then, like you said, even after many tries they couldn't be able to display correctly an NTSC signal on the RGB input. Everything works fine with composite, s-video and component.

I hope this helps... :(

7. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Bonex,

Yes - thanks! I await JVC's official response with interest!

I was beginning to wonder if I was going mad. Must be something to do with the DIST system. Anyone experiencing this on 32 inch version, or 36 inch version?

If this is a problem with the set, I'll admit to not being too upset. Bit of a pain with the X-box, but as I intend to get it modded for HD output, it will soon be connected component at any rate!

8. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    yes i have this problem with my 32inch version but i just work around it by connecting my kit up this way.

humax freeviews box- svideo through scart
    chipped xbox -component input
    jvc na77sl progressive dvdplayer-component input
    my old multiregion pioneer 626 dvdplayer-svideo through scart

by the way i have a component switch box with 3 inputs if your wondering. :laugh:

9. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Thanks!

Where did you get your component switcher? Who manufactures it? I may well just use the Yamaha amp as my switching unit (it has two component inputs), and maybe even to upgrade some of the other picture sources!

I'm happy with the RGB 50hz picture (no lines that I can see) so will stick with the DVD Recorder and Freeview box in their current configuration, although I will, I think, also connect the recorder S-video, just in case I ever feel the need to use it in NTSC (in case the DVD player breaks down!).

Thanks for putting my mind at rest - not unhappy with set, given the component video picture! :clap:

10. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    i got the component switch box from whitedog.co.uk it was only £15 its the only one i could find a the time even though its cheap i can see no loss of picture quality useing it but like you said you could use your amp instead. :hiya:

11. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I have a Philips 32" 100hz widescreen TV. My GameCube causes problems on my TV with interference on certain parts of the screen, mainly patches of moving diagonal lines (difficult to explain) This only seems to occur in 60hz mode (mainly MarioKart)
    Its not a fault with the TV, as I am on my second one already, so I am not sure. DVD's play fine, even region 1. There is some talk of quality of cables used, so I am tempted to try a RGB scart cable for my Gamecube. Otherwise, the picture on the TV is superb but it has problems with Gamecube games in 60hz.
    Could this be some sort of limitation? Hope not.