JVC 2018 Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There aren't many active projector forums in the UK that I know of. You might have thought JVC would themselves keep a close eye on this one, or at least close enough not to post a video previously posted just a few posts up. Come on JVC, do more...

The Sony 760 has issues, panel uniformity being the most obvious (I gave it a bit of a harsh review here in order to steer people towards what to look for when buying). A poor machine will give quite a strong blotchy colour cast to black and white and desaturated images. There is scope for JVC to improve upon the Sony's performance, even if the 'headline' features such as resolution, contrast and brightness are similar.

Is there any reason to believe, or evidence to suggest, that uniformity is a bigger issue on the 760 than the other models?
Why would that be the case?

The service hack for the Sony 760 addresses a problem which is visually similar but not otherwise related to the panel uniformity issue. I can't speak for other Sony projector models, my experience being with two 760's (one returned, the other accepted with reservation) and JVCs (which have shown excellent uniformity). I've uploaded an image - although it's not a quality screenshot, nonetheless it shows the green/magenta staining very much as it appears to the eye on grey (or desaturated) images from the PJ I returned.

Attachments

• IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 73
The service hack for the Sony 760 addresses a problem which is visually similar but not otherwise related to the panel uniformity issue. I can't speak for other Sony projector models, my experience being with two 760's (one returned, the other accepted with reservation) and JVCs (which have shown excellent uniformity). I've uploaded an image - although it's not a quality screenshot, nonetheless it shows the green/magenta staining very much as it appears to the eye on grey (or desaturated) images from the PJ I returned.

Wow, that is bad! I have never seen such bad uniformity. Are they slapping these things together to meet demand (which is apparently high) or what? None of the projectors I owned have ever been like that. Do you have a picture of your current one for comparison?

Wow, that is bad! I have never seen such bad uniformity. Are they slapping these things together to meet demand (which is apparently high) or what? None of the projectors I owned have ever been like that. Do you have a picture of your current one for comparison?

I'll see if I can take something later half decent that isn't misleading. The replacement is better - the colour tinge to a desaturated image becomes apparent after looking at it for a while - just the way our brain works - rather than being obvious.

My advice is to turn the colour or saturation to zero in the menu, and watch some stuff (as though it were a black and white movie). If the tingeing is in your face, then it's a bad one. If it takes half a minute or so to be noticeable as your eye/brain adjusts, then that's liveable with, and if it stays black and white, then good stuff.

I'll see if I can take something later half decent that isn't misleading. The replacement is better - the colour tinge to a desaturated image becomes apparent after looking at it for a while - just the way our brain works - rather than being obvious.

My advice is to turn the colour or saturation to zero in the menu, and watch some stuff (as though it were a black and white movie). If the tingeing is in your face, then it's a bad one. If it takes half a minute or so to be noticeable as your eye/brain adjusts, then that's liveable with, and if it stays black and white, then good stuff.

Looking tentatively at changing to a 760 after my 550, but the uniformity on my 550 is great and I am now nervous I could get a 760 that does not match it. :eek:

The 760 I saw looked pretty good, but it had been set up by RickyJ so had all the menu convergence issues fixed, but right now I'd be inclined to wait and see what the new JVCs look like. I know they're not laser and I do prefer laser to lamp, but they could be extremely competitive if the price is right and there aren't any glaring problems.

I'd also like to see Epson bring out a 4K laser pj as well. If it's much the same as their eshift version but with a 4K panel and a competitive price that could put the cat amongst the pigeons. Ideally they'd release a new model a few months later with a slightly better spec and discount the old one so it's cheap and I can afford it like they did with the LS10000 :)

looks like a lot of places are out of stock on the existing X range so a largely 4K native bulb based range maybe on the way

if so I may well be in I suspect

What time of the year do new JVC models usually become available? I am hoping to replace my HD990 early December.

Martin

November normally I think but will be a lot of demand if they are all new and 4K with normal JVC contrast levels

November normally I think but will be a lot of demand if they are all new and 4K with normal JVC contrast levels
I wonder if it might be different this year. Stocks appear to be drying up already as some have mentioned; and you'd imagine once 4K cat is out of the bag they're going to struggle to sell anything older. I can't see that they're going to want to sell nothing for the next couple of months.

agreed but if they re going to supply what could be very high demand world wide on an all new machine theyd better be making em now

but then again if there are no new X5900 being made what are they making now?

What time of the year do new JVC models usually become available? I am hoping to replace my HD990 early December.

Martin
From memory November / December time.

Could the silhouette of JVC's teaser model be based on the DLA-VS4700, 8K e-shift laser model, with the addition of it being HDMI 2.1 Ready? Who knows! Guessing we'll all find out towards the end of the month :D

Last edited:
I think JVC would be crazy to stop making their 1080 eshift range, and should have at least one as an entry level model, preferably a current model that would hopefully be cheaper and allow more people to benefit from a high contrast display. I can't imagine they'd just throw away their current 1080 tech unless they don't have the manufacturing room to make both.

This was posted on another forum:

JVC%20NEW%204K%20PROJECTORS%202-X2.jpg

Probably refers to the 4k eshift model (faux8K)

I wonder if that will also have a better lens than the 4K models. You need a better lens for an eshifted image over the native res, so the same rules would apply I would have thought, unless the 4K lenses are better than is needed for the 4K models and will be adequate for the eshift model.

This was posted on another forum:

JVC%20NEW%204K%20PROJECTORS%202-X2.jpg

Probably refers to the 4k eshift model (faux8K)

I wonder if that will also have a better lens than the 4K models. You need a better lens for an eshifted image over the native res, so the same rules would apply I would have thought, unless the 4K lenses are better than is needed for the 4K models and will be adequate for the eshift model.

Do you really need a better lens than one that is able to render sharp 4K? I >thought< the 8K is created in the eye, not in the projector.Having read a bit more around this I now think differently...

Last edited:
Looking tentatively at changing to a 760 after my 550, but the uniformity on my 550 is great and I am now nervous I could get a 760 that does not match it. :eek:

Stick with your 550. The margin on the 760 is huge and prices will come down for similar machines. If you did take the plunge, insist on viewing it very carefully at the dealers. In particular, make sure that the service adjustment has been made. Check the quality of the optics and look for the uniformity issue. I would thoroughly recommend that you go to RickyJ. My dealer is decent enough, but in retrospect I'd have gone with someone who has greater interest and expertise.

agreed but if they re going to supply what could be very high demand world wide on an all new machine theyd better be making em now

but then again if there are no new X5900 being made what are they making now?
A X5950 with Eshift6 rev99a

I do prefer laser to lamp, :)

Hi Gary, can I ask why this is? Is it the long steady light output or does it offer other PQ advantages?

Martin

Stick with your 550. The margin on the 760 is huge and prices will come down for similar machines. If you did take the plunge, insist on viewing it very carefully at the dealers. In particular, make sure that the service adjustment has been made. Check the quality of the optics and look for the uniformity issue. I would thoroughly recommend that you go to RickyJ. My dealer is decent enough, but in retrospect I'd have gone with someone who has greater interest and expertise.

Agreed. I think someone like RickyJ will have all the menu tweaks sorted and would have checked the image for any glaring abnormalities before sending it out. The 760 we saw during his demo didn't have any issues and looked very nice, so it would be less of a worry buying from him IMHO.

Hi Gary, can I ask why this is? Is it the long steady light output or does it offer other PQ advantages?

Martin

You don't have to worry about lamp dimming, (regular) recalibration or replacement, and no lamp failure or flicker. At the moment it feels more robust than a lamp psychologically, but only time will tell if that's true or not. Some people say there's something about the colour which may be down to the spectrum compared to a lamp, but I'd have to compare to know if that's real or imagined. With the Epson laser I preferred the 'look' of the image (cleaner and more 'solid' if that makes sense), but I'm not sure if that's down to the laser or how Epson drives its panels compared to JVC. I believe Epson are still analogue driven and that may be part of the reason. A fauK JVC with a laser may still have the image noise for example, assuming nothing else was changed.

Not sure if I can list these but in case I can as at 20th August 2018, there is a authorised seller on Ebay selling the X7900 for £3769 and the X9900 for £5499.

May be more good deals to be had in the coming weeks.

Hope this listing is ok, if not please delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom