JVC 2013 projector range details post here

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kbfern, Sep 6, 2012.

1. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    Later today the new 2013 range of models will be announced at Cedia, we know they will be called X35/X55/X75/X95 so once further details are known please post here.

We think that native 4k panels won't be here this year and that e-shift has filtered down to a new X55 model bridging the old X30/X70 models so becoming a bit more affordable.

Hopefully this years models will be more than just a few tweaks before a more thorough update which is expected with the 2014 models when 4k and maybe even new lamp technology may appear.

I think uk dealers are also getting a preview of the new models today so maybe we will hear some thoughts soon as to what the new models will perform like.

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    The Press Release will be available later today (once Cedia in the US opens).

UK press previews are all next week (none this week), so more info and opinions will be available then.

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,020
  4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    Well there you have the bare bones we shall have to see what it means in reality because at the bottom end there seems to have been little change from what I can see from a quick glance.

It mentions bulb warranty 1yr/1000 hrs, I though that already applied and contrast 50k on the X35, surely that is what the X30 did.

Whether the bulb tech has improved and if 3D performance is any better we shall have to wait and see.

The only real plus I can see is that e-shift looks to have been refined and is now available at a lower pricepoint than before with the introduction of the X55 model.

Hopefully the prices won't have the $ sign replaced by the £ as I would hope that the X35 is no more than £3k and the X55 £4200 max. It will be hoped that a 2D version is available at a lower price point like this years X30 as there is no mention that the 3D emitter is built into the case so this should be possible.

Looks like other than the X55 there would be no reason to upgrade and wait for 2014 models in the hope of a more major revision (true 4k hopefully).

Anyway looking forward to Phil or Steve's views when they actually get their hands on some of these to see if there is some meat on these pretty bare bones.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,902
    No surprises there then really. Minor tweaks and improvements that might be noticeable side by side (especially if the lamp has dimmed a bit and the calibration/gamma slipped ;) ). They have to keep bringing something new out to make new sales, but I can't understand those that would 'upgrade' from an X30 to an X35: If they can afford to drop that much loss why didn't they just buy an X70 last year and have a real improvement?

Stand by for lots of new owners posts saying just how much better this year's model is, when the irony is that if they'd paid for a Pro calibration instead they might get a bigger improvement...especially if they are suffering 'droopy gamma' syndrome. :D

I sometimes wonder if we've already reached a peak of how good mainstream PJs can get in term of contrast, etc. Maybe 4K models might give some improvement, but I don't know if it's just extra resolution and maybe we've plateaued. Until something like Lazer light sources come along that could effectively give us local dimming like many TVs already do perhaps?

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Droopy Gamma Syndrome! :eek:

Pills for that keep appearing in my junk mail... :laugh:

7. mooro1973

mooro1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Welcome to come and make sure my x3 doesn't have d.g.s. whenever you like Kelvin.

8. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,069
    The X55 is interesting, or at least next years version will be for those wanting to upgrade from the X3/30 but can't afford the X7n series if native 4K arrives, but I guess they will save that for the high end models.
    I'm sure I read this time last year that 2012 models had a year/1000 hr UK warranty, haven't seen too many complaints on bulbs this year (as our bulbs all explode this December :) ) touch serious wood!
    Glad they have changed to RF glasses, no big deal, but having to get up of my back side to adjust volume when in 3D mode is a wee bit annoying.

May be worth buying the reduced 2012 model (from a dealer) + spare bulb for (if it is) the same price as the 2013 model if you're a newbie.

9. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,069
    Sorry, just reading your second post now, repeated many of your thoughts :)