JVC 2011-2012 lamp measurement project

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jim2100, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jim2100

jim2100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am asking for volunteers with new JVC projectors to be part of a project looking to answer the question:

For new 2011-2012 JVC projectors, what is the chance of a projector lamp failing (catastrophically, or by excessive dimming) within 6 months or 600 hours?

If you have recently purchased (or have on order) one of the new 2011-2012 JVC projectors, and are willing to pledge a small amount of your time to providing data for this project, please either PM me or you can just respond to this thread.

The deadline for signing up for the project has been extended to Friday 16th of December. Note that you do not necessarily need to have your projector in-house by this date. You can still sign up now if you have a projector on order, even if you do not expect to receive it until sometime after Dec 9th.

To sign up, you should either have, or have on order, one of the following JVC projectors:

DLA-RS45 or DLA-X30
    DLA-RS55 or DLA-X70
    DLA-RS65 or DLA-X90

NOTE: You must be willing to post or PM your results either once a month for 6 months, or every 100 hours of lamp usage up to 600 hours.

We cannot obtain good statistical data if the people who have no issues stop reporting results after a month or two, and the people who do have issues continue reporting. That is why volunteers will need to follow through for 6 months or 600 hours, even if you are experiencing no issues.

When you post or PM me to sign up, please include:

1) the projector model that you will be providing data for

2) your best guess for when you will have the projector in-house and ready for measurements

3) whether you have (or intend to purchase) a light meter for brightness measurements. Note that a cheap light meter suitable for this purpose can be purchased for as little as $20. If you don't have a meter, check out this post. Feel free to post in this thread if you can recommend other good meters or where to purchase cheap light meters.

We will need as many people as possible participating in this project in order to get meaningful results, so please volunteer if you possibly can. My hope is that, within 3 to 6 months, we will have evidence showing that either the lamps in these new JVC projectors are holding up well, or that the lamps are failing prematurely. If the latter, perhaps the evidence will be enough to entice JVC to make fixing this issue a priority.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. jim2100

jim2100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to give an example of a procedure to use for brightness measurements. Note that you do not have to follow the exact procedure given here. You can choose any procedure that is convenient for you. But it is important that whatever procedure you use, you must do it exactly the same way for every measurement. This is necessary so that if there is a change in your measured value, we know that the difference (probably) comes from a change in the brightness from the projector lamp, and not because you changed the procedure.

If anyone has any suggestions or corrections for these procedures, please do not hesitate to post in this thread. I will update this post accordingly.

You will obviously need a light meter (aka luxmeter) to measure the brightness.

If at all possible, please check your lamp and lamp housing before you set up the projector. Record all numbers printed on the lamp or housing (serial number, part number, batch number) and post them in this thread.

If you expect to use your projector less than 100 hours per month, then you should report your data once a month. If you expect to use your projector more than 100 hours per month, then you should report your data every 100 lamp hours. The first measurement should be when you first set up your projector, as close to 0 hours on the lamp as possible.

For each measurement, follow the same procedure, for example:

1. Power on the projector and let it warm up for a set amount of time.

I suggest 30 minutes of warm-up time to be safe (it may warm up faster than that), but you can use any amount of time as long as you are consistent in each of your measurements.

While the projector is warming up, double-check the settings to make sure they are the same for each measurement:

• Lamp Mode : normal or high
    • Lens Aperture Setting
    • Lens Memory and Zoom Setting (16:9, 2.35:1, etc.)
    • Masking
    • Picture Mode
    • 2D (not 3D) Mode
    • Calibration: Gamma, Color Temp., Color Space, Contrast, Brightness
      Would be a good idea to save all the settings into a memory called something like "lamp measurement" so you can recall them whenever you make another measurement.

2. Display a white field that fills your screen

The image on your screen should be at the same zoom and focus every time you make a brightness measurement.

Typically you would display a "100 IRE" white field.

It is possible to get the JVC to display a 100 IRE field from the service menu. Enter the service menu by pressing (fairly quickly): up, down, right, left, OK. You may need to try it several times with different timing to get it right. Once the service menu comes up, navigate to Options, to Adjust pattern, then hit the right button several times to get to the white screen.

If you have an HTPC, you can download a .TS video file with a 100 IRE field here:

MPEG-2 HD Test Patterns
    http://www.w6rz.net/irefield100.zip

If you are using a blu-ray player as a source, you may already have a calibration disc that can display a white field. If you do not have a calibration disc, you may be able to burn a DVD yourself, for example:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12373254#post12373254

3. Take brightness measurement(s) with your light meter

You should hold the light meter close to your screen (within a few inches) and facing the projector lens. You can use a tripod if you like, or you can just hold the sensor away from your body, making sure that no part of your hand or body is anywhere near the front of the sensor. The idea is for the sensor to have a completely clear field of view towards the projector lens.

The best procedure is to mentally divide your screen into a 3 x 3 grid (like a tic-tac-toe board) and take a light measurement at the center of each of the nine grid squares, then average them together (you can use the attached spreadsheet to compute the average if you like).

A quick and dirty procedure is to just measure the brightness at the center of the screen. If you do this, please at least move the sensor around a bit to find the maximum reading. This is easier if your meter has a MAX or PEAK function, but you can still do it manually by just quickly looking at a few slightly different positions near the center of the screen and recording the maximum.

You can report your measurement here in lux if you like. Or if you prefer, you can convert it to lumens. There is a nice spreadsheet file (from Ron Jones) that I have attached to this post that you can use to convert lux to lumens: you just enter your screen aspect ratio, diagonal size of the screen, and the lux measurement(s), and it computes the lumens. If you use the nine-point measurement technique, the spreadsheet will also take the average for you.

4. Report the measurement results

You can post your results in this thread, or PM the results to me. I will maintain a master spreadsheet with everyone's data so that I can analyze the data and post the aggregate results.

Please include the following information with your results:

1. Date of measurement
    2. Model of projector
    3. Source of white field used (service menu, w6rz, calibration disc, etc.)
    4. Hours on lamp
    5. Whether lamp was primarily used in Normal or High Mode (or hours each of normal and high if you know)
    6. Normal or High Lamp Mode
    7. Lens Aperture setting
    8. Warm-up time between powering-on projector and measuring brightness
    9. Measurement of brightness

If you need suggestions on how to measure the brightness, please post a question in this thread. I imagine you will get responses from people who are more experienced than I am at making those sorts of measurements.

This post has an attachment, a spreadsheet file written by Ron Jones, which can be used to convert your lux measurement to lumens. But it is not necessary to convert your measurement to lumens if you do not want to. A lux measurement can be reported directly, as long as you do not change your screen size between measurements.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  3. NiToNi

NiToNi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    1. 6th Dec 2011
    2. X30-WE
    3. Lumagen Mini 3D, smallest 100 IRE window pattern
    4. 1 hour
    5. 95% Normal
    6. Normal /High
    7. Zero
    8. 1 hour
    9. 752 / 1170 lumens

Other info:

10. 110" screen
    11. Throw distance 4.1 meters
    12. Standard gamut, Natural mode, 6500K, Normal gamma, Contrast and Brightness at zero (OOTB)

Didn't take 9 readings and averaged (ANSI) nor will I be going forward but four quick readings towards the corners measured 170-180 lux versus 225 lux at the center, so quite a drop in brightness uniformity.

4. jim2100

jim2100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great! (well, not the brightness uniformity, but the measurement) You have the distinction of being the first participant in the project to post a measurement.

5. jim2100

jim2100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please sign up now for the JVC lamp measurement project! You can sign up by PMing me or post in this thread.

You can sign up now even if you won't be able to make any measurements until January.

We have 33 participants signed up for the project so far, but we need more people participating. I'd like to reach at least 50 participants, and 100 would be even better!

Deadline to sign up is Friday, 9th December. Less than 48 hours until the deadline!

6. jim2100

jim2100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a possibility for an inexpensive light meter from a UK vendor, if you need one.

I'm in the US, so I don't know what the cheapest UK source is for a light meter, but this is probably one of the least expensive LX1010B:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-Digita...E2KM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323367937&sr=8-1

Here's a slightly more expensive one, LX1330B:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Pro...kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1323369262&sr=1-1-catcorr

If anyone knows of other good UK sources for cheap light meters, please post about it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  7. videodrone

videodrone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I have had my X30 for a week now. Its had 3 hours on the lamp so far. Hunting for a light meter now.

regards
    'drone

8. jim2100

jim2100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great! Thanks for signing up. That brings us to 37.

Please let me know if you have any trouble getting a light meter.

9. jim2100

jim2100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The initial sign-up deadline for the 2011-2012 JVC lamp measurement project has passed and we now have 40 people participating in the project! But I was hoping to get at least 50 participants, and more would be better, so I am going to extend the sign-up deadline.

Extended sign-up deadline: Friday, 16th December

If you have a new 2011-2012 JVC projector, or expect to have one by the end of January 2012, please sign up now! To sign up, you can PM me or post in the project thread:

AVF:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/projectors/1555765-jvc-2011-2012-lamp-measurement-project.html

AVS:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21276994#post21276994

Participating in the project should only take a few minutes of your time each month.

If you don't have a light meter, you can order a cheap one online. See post #7 for recommendations.

10. jim2100

jim2100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last chance to sign up for the JVC 2011-2012 lamp measurement project!

Sign-up deadline is: Friday, 16th December

If you have a new 2011-2012 JVC projector, or expect to have one by the end of January 2012, please sign up now! To sign up, you can PM me or post in the project thread:

AVF:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/projectors/1555765-jvc-2011-2012-lamp-measurement-project.html

AVS:
    JVC 2011-2012 lamp measurement project - AVS Forum

Participating in the project should only take a few minutes of your time each month.

If you don't have a light meter, you can order a cheap one online. See post #7 for recommendations.

11. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Are there any results of this project yet?