JVC 2006 56" rptv thoughts

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by blade runner, Aug 3, 2006.

1. blade runner

blade runner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just about ready to spring for the JVC HD-56FH96, when I heard that it doesn't actually accept a 1080p signal. I did some searching and it appears that JVC is releasing for 2006, the HD-56FH97 television. The upgrades appear to be a better adjustablie iris setting and the acceptance of a 1080p signal.

I'm seeing prices (in US dollars) of anywhere from $2400 to $3000 for the HD-56FH96, which is doable in my budget. What I'm wondering is, should I hold out for the 97? Is a true 1080p input signal that important, considering I have no plans to upgrade to a HD DVD or Blu Ray anytime soon?

The JVC tv is currently on a "pre-order" basis and I haven't found any info on when it will be available. I assume this fall, but you know how that goes... :rolleyes:

2. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    you're on the wrong forum mate, this 1080p tv is for America only, great shame because it looks great and works well too; it's as good as the SXRD

Attached Files:

3. blade runner

blade runner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I half susupected that. I found another forum that deals with the FH96 owners. I've been reading good things about it and want to wrap my arms around one soon.

Thanks again...

4. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    but ``our`` JVC 56'' is very good on H.D too :smashin: but it wont be as good as that, or the SXRD either.

JVC have really improved in the last year :smashin: but here in the U.K we're only getting the SXRD, unless of course; Sagem release a 1080p soon!

but they'd better hurry up because Sept is only 4 weeks away!

5. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  6. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    dont worry about 1080p, because blu/ray or HD-dvd will still look totally awesome on 1080i. you might not even be able to tell the difference between a really good 1080i and 1080p

``When it comes to seeing the HD-56ZR7J in action you'll realise it's potential. It gives nothing short of a sensational performance handling motion extremely well. Perfect black levels make pictures clear and crisp alongside great fine detailing. It produces awesome pictures with both SD and HD but the latter is just out of this world, producing some of the most radiant colours we have ever seen. For a back-projector it produces wickedly high brightness levels thanks to the D-ILA system, providing better colour ranges than you would get from any LCD screen. One thing we will warn you about is the high or auto settings, they can create a bit of undesirable noise here and there. Whatever you do, don't settle for the default settings, play around to find a good level. Equally as good as the picture performance is the audio. The Nicam stereo pumps out a ridiculous amount of sound, with good bass and extremely clear dialogue, without any sign of distortion.
    Overall Opinion

Whack a digital tuner in there and we would call it perfect. We take our hats off to JVC for taking the plunge with their new technology and testing it out in this superb back projector. The HD-56ZR7J looks, behaves and probably tastes good - it's a real winner.``

7. blade runner

blade runner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure, I understand. But the argument has always been that a "p" is better than an "i" because the frame is not interlaced and therefore the image is brighter. I suppose that's an old argument, but is it still valid in today's technology?

8. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    yes, but its more a case of :-

a slight loss in P.Q compared to the SXRD; that still has this green blob issue.

a slight loss in P.Q?.....yes but the JVC is still superior (on HD) to the other DLP'S that we have right now!

IT'S ALL DOWN TO ONE THING:- how bad is this green blob on the SXRD

I dont believe all the negative comments with regards to the JVC, because i've seen it with my own eyes....it's flipping fantastic on HD.

9. HariSeldon

HariSeldon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Hi Blade Runner.

I've ended up putting down a pre-order for the 70" SXRD. I went to see the JVC 70" D-Ila on demo at JL on Oxford St a couple of months back. HD picture was superb with excellent black levels even with the usual crappy showroom contrast and brightness settings. SDE was negligible from just a few feet back. The only downside for me was the lower native resolution compared to the SXRD and the slight "frosting" texture to the screen that was visible on large areas of block colour, particularly white.

10. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Exactly, but i got used to the forsted screen; but take care because the SXRD has that frosted screen too, in fact; all RPTV's have to a varying degree as well.

but this frosted screen shows up far more during the day than at night :smashin:

the JVC i saw looked excellent on HD, but what is good news is; i bet you it still wasn't set up correctly; in addition, it had one of those cheap DVD Players/demo Disc

there is no way you'd be dissapointed with the JVC, it's flipping excellent; for me it's balanced 50:50.

11. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    im also looking forward to getting one of these, i also think with LCD,Plasma, LCos, DLP, SXRD, and now JVC`s alternative that this screen will come down in price quite somewhat, JVC isnt seen as a cool brand like sony,panasonic,pioneer

does it accept 1080i ?

12. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    im also looking forward to getting one of these, i also think with LCD,Plasma, LCos, DLP, SXRD, and now JVC`s alternative that this screen will come down in price quite somewhat, JVC isnt seen as a cool brand like sony,panasonic,pioneer

does it accept 1080i ?

also input is 1080i but the screen is progressive hence wont the chip inside deinterlace ??????? from my experience internal deinterlacers are really good and there might not be too much difference from this and 1080p

btw what is the resolution of this screen 1980 x 1080 ?

13. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    yes it accepts 1080i, the screen is 720p; but i cant answer that deinterlacing thing.

this tv is excellent on HD, so it's the best alternative to the SXRD; i'm still very interested in this tv, because the difference between 1080i and 1080p isn't noticed by many people (as you say), not as much as the difference between 1800 and 2500 quid :devil:

the interesting thing is, will its P.Q improve even more when you hook it up to Blu-ray/HD-DVD, i expect it will.

all i can say is:- its P.Q is well good enough for me!

but i have to see the SXRD in action before i make my final decision

14. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    http://www.electricshop.com/invt/4066jvc116825a&source=kelkoo&tduid=56669d3dc20b746462a4a88c0b6b84e0

but guess what, the 70'' version is now roughly 2660quid, now that really is good because the SXRD 55'' is about 2500, the 70'' is flipping miles bigger than the 55'' and its P.Q on HD is excellent, now is this the one to go for; but am i too close at 8.5ft, this needs more investigation; ok its free delivery, but no floor stand; i can make another, but use the existing two layer glass AV rack that i have !

this needs a lot of thought, but it's probably way too big; it requires a floor stand 5ft 4'' wide by 19'' deep :rotfl:

but movies would look totally gobsmacking awesome, right where's my tape measure :rotfl:

15. spoonjaffa

spoonjaffa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So these JVC LCD rear projectors have had great reviews in the states and said to be almost as good as the sony sxrd's?
    I see two models:
    HD56ZR7 & HD70ZR7
    Are these the same models the americans get?

16. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    be careful, because they're talking about the JVC 1080P (i think).....ours is the 720p, but dont worry because its still excellent, it has the best P.Q of all the RPTV's out now over here, only the SXRD will be superior.

guess what:- it fits in exactly the same place as the 55'' now, because i've allowed a gap either side for my stereo :D

i'll give this a lot of thought, the price is fine; it's just enormous....this tv also doesn't need External audio, it's audio output is described as great, so this tv will actually be cheaper for me than the SXRD...........good grief :thumbsup: :D

they dont tell you its weight :eek: could be about 140lbs, this will require a very heavily constructed stand; 24mm plywood, 2x2'' box underneath and 3x3'' legs....but this will need wheels or you wont be able to drag the tv away from the wall to replace its bulb etc, it'll dig into the pile of the carpet; my stand has done this already and it only holds a 50lb CRT.

the JVC's stand looks bad, it's cheap and tacky with silver trim

17. spoonjaffa

spoonjaffa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've been after a new TV for over 6 months now! After deciding it wasnt the time to buy i went ahead and bought a house, heh got to put the tv somewhere i thought! Anyways, ive gone from RP to plasma to LCD and now back to RP.
    Is this JVC lcd RP so much better than the current sony lcd RP? Anyone got any comparison specs?
    SXRD would be nice but if its true about the reliabilty being a problem then i'll stay clear for a few years.

18. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    YES, it's better than the Sony KDF 50 on HD, but that tv is good too, it's just too small at only 50'' :D

i'm worried about the SXRD's reliability too, but i also worry about its price, i'll have to give this a lot of thought; the 70'' is interesting but maybe too large, but the 56'' is a very real possibility, read this review because it's accurate

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=3167

19. spoonjaffa

spoonjaffa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Any avsforum reviews?

20. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    dont know of any.

the tv is actually only slightly higher than the 56''; this is because the centre of the screen has to be in line with your eyesight....the 70'' is a much taller screen, so you have to lower the 56'' stand in height to compensate for this, the new stand will be only 10'' high :eek:....thus there's no room for 2 layers of glass AV racking.

this gives me a huge problem, i cant use the existing glass, well i can; but i cant have any more than a DVD Player and something else on it, but then again i dont need an external audio output do i, but i think it doesn't have an inbuilt digi-tuner; or alternatively i can place the AV gear elsewhere

it actually looks ok from only 8.5ft away.....i'm sure you'd get used to it

the 70'' is the same price as the SXRD+audio from Cheap Electricals.....but cheaper if you buy the SXRD from Sony Centre!

the problem with the JVC is, it doesn't handle SD very well and neither does the SXRD, but the JVC is probably worst; especially at 70'' (it'll look awfall, an out of focus blur).....but this applies to large screen plasmas as well.

i dont know what to suggest here, because watching SD on the JVC/SXRD will drive me crazy; it does when i see it in a shop too, best solution maybe is to have this tv plus a 20'' lcd, but i'm not sure; we're stuck halfway between SD and HD and will be for some time!

21. HariSeldon

HariSeldon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Sadly not. The US D-Ila's are 1080p native

22. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i Went to see the JVC 56'' again today, it has an excellent P.Q on HD; everybody around me loved it....the detail you can see on 1080i HD is increadible.

but the KDF 50 didn't look nearly as good, its picture was dull/lacked contrast and not as stunning, sharp or as 3D, i also noticed for the very first time its screen ``grid pattern``

the JVC reminds me more of a plasma, it has no SSE, no motion blur and no rainbows, it's colourful, bright and very sharp....its only downpoint is that dreaded frosted screen, especially on whites!

but it looks very bad on SD, but better through a good quality Freeview digital tuner. he told me the 70'' has exactly the same P.Q on HD, but to me the 56'' looks well big enough from 8.5ft, it also has excellent audio

JVC are releasing a new version next year over here, probably 1080p; but i cant wait that long :thumbsdow

23. MarkFitDT

MarkFitDT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What shop did you look at this TV in anacz1?

It does look great but it would be nice to see one "in the flesh"!

:D

24. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i saw mine in Purwells, Christchurch, Hampshire; but this one was too erxpensive at 2300 quid

25. MarkFitDT

MarkFitDT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what were the viewing angles like anacz1?

does it have a bulb in it which needs replacing? It seem to be part DLP and part LCD

I read the reviews on Trusted Reviews and the only slight reservation I have is the so called "slightly messy" picture in SD.

We have Sky - is that SD or is SD analogue?

Just worrying that if I spent all that money and seeing as we only have Sky and not HD it might be a slight let down.

Thanks
    (excuse the technical ignorance, lol!)

26. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i'm technically ignorant too and i dont have Sky :D

but you'll need to switch to Sky HD to see the JVC work well, because it wont be much good on SD digital which is what you have (i think).

this tv is analogue, but it does work better with digital Freeview; but not by much, so you really do need Sky HD or HD films.

i'm using this tv for films only, the JVC has a narrow viewing angle; just like DLP's; but explodes in your face if you're directly in line with it. :D this is when it resembles a plasma.

i must admit that i'm not mad keen about poor SD, bog standard analogue BBC 1 is virtually unwatchable; it looked awfall today, so i might get Digital Freeview, you need an expensive tuner too, he told me the cheap ones were no good, but definitely not Sky HD; it's a waste of money, i'd rather spend the cash on DVD's.

an expensive external digital tuner (according to him) is miles better than the built in tv tuners, but this'll need more research tomorrow.

i'll need a digi-tuner anyway, because this tv doesn't have one and it'll look total pants without one, that's if i dont buy the SXRD

27. MarkFitDT

MarkFitDT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help/advice.

Im really struggling to choose which TV to buy which has a reasonable picture when using Sky Digital (we will probably go HD in the future)

I really liked this TV until you said what you said (or wrote what you wrote) and now Im thinking of either the Sagem 56" or the Samsung Sp50L7 which from reports on here have good picture when watching Non HD stuff.

28. sunama

sunama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I was reading this months What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision magazine. It gave this telly 4/5 stars. They really liked it. All the comments about it suggested that they would give it 5/5. There were only some minor things that they disliked -

the SD images were not particularly great.
    the viewing angle is quite crucial.
    and it didnt come with a freeview built-in tuner.

If using this tv to display HD only, its unequivicolly the best tv you can buy at the moment.

I cant remember any other points of note.

29. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    yes the JVC really is this great, but it's biast towards HD only; at the expense of SD, this is why it's P.Q on HD is better than any other RPTV; but worst on SD........:cool:

i dont exaggerate when i tell you that it's similar to a Pioneer/Panasonic plasma on HD, it's bright, colourful and razor sharp.

but SD might be far better on an external more expensive Digital tuner (the salesman told me this). to be honest, if you're going to watch this tv on SD ``EL CHEAPO`` 30 quid freeserve digi-box then dont bother buying it, IT'S DREADFUL! the picture was totally out focus, pixillated, smudged, ghosting :D

But, the SXRD is similar but maybe not as bad......oh dear :(

i've read more than once; that the most recent RPTV'S are designed ( chip technology bla bla bla) to HD only

one big plus point......everything is going HD eventually

30. sunama

sunama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm not sure about the "expensive freeview tuners are better than the cheaper ones". Indeed the more expensive ones tend to have big brand names on them as well as better outputs, but I'm not convinced about the image quality being better on an expensive freeview tuner.

Myself, I will be using my new tv (sxrd 55" or jvc 55") for dvd and freeview viewing. When I spend £1800-£2300 on a tv I demand that it be able to display good image quality regardless of what source I feed it.