Jutter Fix on Hobbit 4K on Sony OLED A8H

Jaymax2378

Novice Member
I just bought the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Trilogies on 4K. Immediately when I started watching the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, I noticed on my Sony A8H OLED TV there was a very distracting jutter happening when it came to much of the background elements in pretty much every scene. To be honest ... this is the first movie I've watched that this has happened. I didnt notice the jutter affecting any of the actors movements on screen but in scenes with moving camera shots especially wide or establishing shots the background like trees, leaves, hills, buildings, just had this awful jutter. I always turn the Motionflow and the CineMotion settings off completely. The Motionflow is where you get that soap opera effect but the CineMotion I guess I didn't really fully understand what it did. After messing about with all my picture settings I decided to try turning the CineMotion setting on to *Auto but still leaving the Motionflow off. Well after I turned on the CineMotion to Auto ... Lo and behold what did I notice? Yes the background jutter was instantly gone and those moving camera shots were now Nice and smooth and totally perfect. Problem fixed. I still don't fully understand the CineMotion setting but at least it did fix the horrible jutter when watching the Hobbit in 4K. In case anyone else has the same issue. I've never seen this before on any other movie I watched but I feel it might have to do something with the Hobbit having originally been filmed in 48fps and that maybe its just something to do with the frame rate conversion down to 24fps and then also the way certain TVs react to it. Just a guess. Or maybe Im way off about that being the reason. Feel free to correct me if Im wrong on that.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    519.3 KB · Views: 58

silent ninja

I could never find Cinemotion in the menu, I think it's called Film Mode on my A8 ? Does anyone else have this because all settings talk of Cinemotion but I don't have it.

Anyway, glad you resolved it. I leave it on auto and pretty much apply the following settings to a tee. Perfect

2Ravens89

Standard Member
Film Mode is the same as CineMotion. I'm guessing it's just a terminology difference between the UK and US markets or maybe even across different TVs.

And I agree, it's the same with the XH90. Not having this turned on everything is a judder fest plain and simple. Can't imagine why it would be preferable to ever have it off. Only smoothness incurs what some people perceive as soap opera effect. Personally I like a lot of smoothness in sport and a small amount in other content but to each their own on that.

But to my eyes the TV is near unwatchable without film mode as once you see the difference you can't unsee it. Might be different on the OLED but certainly for the LEDs.
Even my partner who is not technologically inclined or fussy about such matters asked if I'd messed with the settings as it looked crap when I turned it off for experimentation.

Last edited:

mrapriliafalco1

Film Mode is the same as CineMotion. I'm guessing it's just a terminology difference between the UK and US markets or maybe even across different TVs.

And I agree, it's the same with the XH90. Not having this turned on everything is a judder fest plain and simple. Can't imagine why it would be preferable to ever have it off. Only smoothness incurs what some people perceive as soap opera effect. Personally I like a lot of smoothness in sport and a small amount in other content but to each their own on that.

But to my eyes the TV is near unwatchable without film mode as once you see the difference you can't unsee it. Might be different on the OLED but certainly for the LEDs.
Even my partner who is not technologically inclined or fussy about such matters asked if I'd messed with the settings as it looked crap when I turned it off for experimentation.
Hahahahaha been searching for ages looking for that setting

Mallett94

I just bought the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Trilogies on 4K. Immediately when I started watching the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, I noticed on my Sony A8H OLED TV there was a very distracting jutter happening when it came to much of the background elements in pretty much every scene. To be honest ... this is the first movie I've watched that this has happened. I didnt notice the jutter affecting any of the actors movements on screen but in scenes with moving camera shots especially wide or establishing shots the background like trees, leaves, hills, buildings, just had this awful jutter. I always turn the Motionflow and the CineMotion settings off completely. The Motionflow is where you get that soap opera effect but the CineMotion I guess I didn't really fully understand what it did. After messing about with all my picture settings I decided to try turning the CineMotion setting on to *Auto but still leaving the Motionflow off. Well after I turned on the CineMotion to Auto ... Lo and behold what did I notice? Yes the background jutter was instantly gone and those moving camera shots were now Nice and smooth and totally perfect. Problem fixed. I still don't fully understand the CineMotion setting but at least it did fix the horrible jutter when watching the Hobbit in 4K. In case anyone else has the same issue. I've never seen this before on any other movie I watched but I feel it might have to do something with the Hobbit having originally been filmed in 48fps and that maybe its just something to do with the frame rate conversion down to 24fps and then also the way certain TVs react to it. Just a guess. Or maybe Im way off about that being the reason. Feel free to correct me if Im wrong on that.

@silent ninja @mripriliafalco1

See here for my thread about Motionflow and Film mode explanations => Sony Motionflow & Film mode Settings Explained (finally!)

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom