Justice Society: World War II Movie Review & Comments

encaser

Distinguished Member
I'll be checking this out later. But thanks, as per, for the energised review of these toons, Cas.
I got excited when I first heard about the story for this but; had hoped it would've joined the ranks of the other decent R rating offerings, that gave it that extra bit of bite.
At least in these, Wonder Woman still has breasts bigger than most males.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I'll be checking this out later. But thanks, as per, for the energised review of these toons, Cas.
I got excited when I first heard about the story for this but; had hoped it would've joined the ranks of the other decent R rating offerings, that gave it that extra bit of bite.
At least in these, Wonder Woman still has breasts bigger than most males.

It hardly pushes the certificate, but it's certainly nice to see WW being palpably brutal in her dispatching of Nazis (this is defo more ZSJL's WW rather than the one from WW84). Be interested, as ever, to see what you think.

FergieB

Thanks Cas. I’ll certainly be watching this one. I’ve really been enjoying the DCAU and I dig the Archer style animation very much and wouldn’t mind if they keep that going.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I think I might have just gotten too jaded now. This is exactly the kind of thing I would have wanted a few years ago, a kick-arse WW leading a team. But now I just ask where's Superman? How did this happen? Is there a backstory?

How did I get from having my favourite superhero apparently doing exactly what I want her to do not exciting me anymore? Really sad :(

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I think I might have just gotten too jaded now. This is exactly the kind of thing I would have wanted a few years ago, a kick-arse WW leading a team. But now I just ask where's Superman? How did this happen? Is there a backstory?

How did I get from having my favourite superhero apparently doing exactly what I want her to do not exciting me anymore? Really sad :(

Watch it, it makes sense. Yes, there's a backstory. Yes, it works.

And if you really aren't convinced and want to spoil the surprise (which I strongly advise against)

He's in the intro - Flash goes back in time whilst in the process of saving him - and then, in the "past" he's revealed in the latter end to be a very... different Superman, damaged by circumstance. It doesn't end there either... this may not even be the past...

Personally, I LOVE this take-no-prisoners WW. Despite my saying she's more ZSJL WW than WW84, the reality is that Gal probably couldn't have every portrayed her like this.

Check it out mate, or at the very least enter the competition lol!

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Watch it, it makes sense. Yes, there's a backstory. Yes, it works.

And if you really aren't convinced and want to spoil the surprise (which I strongly advise against)
Cool :)

Personally, I LOVE this take-no-prisoners WW. Despite my saying she's more ZSJL WW than WW84, the reality is that Gal probably couldn't have every portrayed her like this.

Check it out mate, or at the very least enter the competition lol!
Reminds me of the Kingdom Come WW,I loved that miniseries and WW is 99% warrior. The JL animated series WW is like 70% fierce warrior but she is also beginning to learn that there's more to life than kicking arse.

encaser

Distinguished Member
Yup, I can confirm no swastika taped boobies in this one - strictly 12 rated with just the one S-bomb.

You get a rather Soviet Bloc (with maybe a smattering of a Greek heritage) sounding WW thanks to Stanic but she doesn't drift afar and President Roosevelt weirdly sounding British.
Both Stanic and Bomer do well at not making either annoying. In fact, WW sounds resolute whilst slapping about all comers though easy enough to warm to and Barry isn't the usual twit that you want to slap and slap again because you enjoy it. Steve Trevor is good too with hardiness, humour and heart. I do struggle to separate a certain Kirk actor now whenever I see him.
Hawkman and Canary actually feature well and have decent fighting scenes and turn out to be a duo of substance in both physicality and offering up some real gravitas for a welcome change. Alternatively, and somewhat atypically of late, it is dupey Aquaman (or Aqualad, as I kept calling him here) that is a weaker offering in this feature. His sidekick organist, as a big bad, is a bit too on the side for me too.
There's quite a few fun in jokes to be had and the name tagging for characters and events often works - particularly for the big 'surprise' reveal character.
They all kick ass but some of the U.S of A cheese lines - Americans never surrender! - get very jingoistic in campness and watching this, it would be easy to assume Britain and its allies did bog all. But at least main offender, Hourman, offers up a madly fun game of crab Pacman that is as mad as it sounds.
The story works in a twisty way of introducing characters in a cleverly cute way and actually has some heart for not only the mains but also the usual red uniform characters.
I just wish Mein Further himself would feature in these, as apposed to some lacky knockoff, however, Barry and Aquaman fulfil the Hitler Youth looking quotient.
Overall, I have to say I liked it quite a bit. It starts well and doesn't get bogged down in a singular mission because it keeps throwing up subplots and characters along the way. Plus it has a sense of humour and keeps you guessing as to when the cavalry will front up and/or steal the show....

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom