Justice League Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Visual geekary post...

There is a "theory" that the movie is not meant to be presented in 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 ratio... but rather that it was supposed to be 2.40:1 or 2.35:1 ratio like most of Snyder's other movies... But that this was somehow changed once Wheadon took over...

Otherwise, why shoot Super 35mm? Why not shoot regular 35mm?

For those of you who have seen the film on disc or in cinema, do you find that it has Snyder's usual attention to the visuals? Do the compositions seem cropped?
As mentioned above, some scenes yes some scenes no. There are some glorious shots and some quite poor, some of the best ones didn't even make it into the film at all or were replaced by poor, softer ones.

Quite bizarre really.

Odd one this. Certainly not as awful as BvS or Suicide Squad but the result is so boringly average I think it might just be my least favourite DCEU movie to date. Maybe a case of missed opportunities and the obvious potential for what could have been done shining an even bigger spotlight on the many problems present on screen. There's just no real standout pieces with most of the action scenes not really taking advantage of what these characters can do when share the same screen. When the one that sticks out is Flash pushing WW's sword back to her you've probably got some issues!

To be honest if you're after a DC team up movie from the last 12 months... go watch the CW crossover Crisis on Earth X. It genuinely outdoes JL on pretty much every level while giving some fantastic 'good lordy that's cool' action. Hell one moment with Supergirl nodding to Superman 2 (and that's the limit of the spoilers from me) is right up there with anything from Ragnarok or Black Panther in my book.

...Hell one moment with Supergirl nodding to Superman 2 (and that's the limit of the spoilers from me) is right up there with anything from Ragnarok or Black Panther in my book.
Challenge Accepted ;)
I stopped watching the majority of CW stuff a few months back but I'm going to try and watch this crossover event.

P.S. Nice to meet a fellow El Reg reader :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned above, some scenes yes some scenes no. There are some glorious shots and some quite poor, some of the best ones didn't even make it into the film at all or were replaced by poor, softer ones.

Quite bizarre really.

Very strange... Thanks

Very strange... Thanks
Here's 3 shots of the trinity that were cut, and I think you'll agree they weren't terrible ..
justice-league-movie-image-wonder-woman.jpeg
DV8NNXtUMAAJJGX.jpg
DV8NNXvVAAABq9c.jpg

I watched this a few weeks back via the US iTunes account I have on my ATV 4K and went in with zero expectations having never seen it on it's cinema run. And I was pleasantly surprised...no slug balancing from Henry Cavill with his famous CGI upper lip. Looked fine to me on my 92" projector screen.
Yes the CGI is ropey (shall we say), acting a little wooden (but with Gal Gadot on set ((am I allowed to say that...?)) :) ) and a bit ropey in the story department. But for what happened to Snyder during production and the total takeover by Wheddon, I'm prepared to forgive and maybe forget.

Miles better than Suicide Squad. Who's up for a Marvel/DC team up? Justice league and The Avengers take on Alfredo, Clark Kent's Italian barber and destroy lower Metropolis in the process...?

Miles better than Suicide Squad. Who's up for a Marvel/DC team up? Justice league and The Avengers take on Alfredo, Clark Kent's Italian barber and destroy lower Metropolis in the process...?

I wouldn't be too surprised to see a DC Marvel crossover at some point in the future. They've done it in the comics a few times.

Avengers_JLA_Vol_1_2.jpg

Bri

...And I was pleasantly surprised...no slug balancing from Henry Cavill with his famous CGI upper lip. Looked fine to me on my 92" projector screen.

Yeah I couldn't see it either but then my copy was not and "official copy"

Miles better than Suicide Squad.
Not as bad as people say, way better than BeaViS (and butthead). Suicide Squad is not much worse than this except the ending which is so bad that it could destroy a much better film.

Yeah I remember one of the first back in 1977 for a Superman/Spider-Man team up in one of the large Marvel books that used to come out a couple of times a year...

I think the Superman/Spider-Man was the very first one. I think there was a Teen Titans/X Men and maybe a Batman/Hulk as well.

Bri

I think they’d mess it up whatever they did. But saying that whilst I didn’t think JL was awesome it’s by no means the disaster I expected it to be.

Last edited:
I watched this a few weeks back via the US iTunes account I have on my ATV 4K and went in with zero expectations having never seen it on it's cinema run. And I was pleasantly surprised...no slug balancing from Henry Cavill with his famous CGI upper lip. Looked fine to me on my 92" projector screen.
Yes the CGI is ropey (shall we say), acting a little wooden (but with Gal Gadot on set ((am I allowed to say that...?)) :) ) and a bit ropey in the story department. But for what happened to Snyder during production and the total takeover by Wheddon, I'm prepared to forgive and maybe forget.

Having read poor reviews, I tagged along to watch this at the cinema anyway. Even allowing for my low expectations, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It also made me laugh with it and not at it.

My disappointment with the 4K Blu ray is that it has been zoomed and adapted to fit the Tv screen. So the sides have been chopped a bit. I find 16:9 awkward to watch at the best of times. And yes , I barely watch any tv. But that’s mainly down to the drab that’s on.

The Snyder cut really needs to see the light of day, I think the demand is there to pony up the cash for completion. Almost the exact thing happened with Superman 2, the original vision was there, but was replaced with a more family skewed approach through re shoots with a replacement director.

Man of Steel was a breath of fresh air among all the cookie cutter family superhero films, and Batman V Superman is one of the most underappreciated comic book films I've seen (Ultimate Edition anyway), which, much like Bladerunner etc, I believe will be seen as a classic of the genre despite its (and Man of Steel's) faults as reflection sets in.

Justice League set out to be another epic that forged it's own identity rather than existed for comparisons, but was butchered and forced to be something it was not designed to be. As a family movie, yeah it's entertaining if you take it on face value, but the adult themes, the gritty and operatic storytelling, and the building of this other world that existed in the previous movies was all gone and I hated what they made it become knowing what Snyder set out to make it be.

Challenge Accepted ;)
I stopped watching the majority of CW stuff a few months back but I'm going to try and watch this crossover event.

P.S. Nice to meet a fellow El Reg reader :)
agreed that was good stuff - most of the CW shows are pretty good

The Snyder cut really needs to see the light of day,
Man of Steel was a breath of fresh air among all the cookie cutter family superhero films, and Batman V Superman is one of the most underappreciated comic book films I've seen (Ultimate Edition anyway), which, much like Bladerunner etc, I believe will be seen as a classic of the genre despite its (and Man of Steel's) faults as reflection sets in.
To be honest I simply don't trust Snyder after BvS. Man of Steel was as good as it got and I think you are right about it being under-appreciated. But BvS? I might "find" an extended cut of this and watch it now :)
The only thing I have changed my mind about is that if Snyder's cut of Justice League is available then it should be shown. I suspect however, that the Snyder loyalists will back it no matter what, and the haters will still hate it no matter what.

... go watch the CW crossover Crisis on Earth X. It genuinely outdoes JL on pretty much every level while giving some fantastic 'good lordy that's cool' action. Hell one moment with Supergirl nodding to Superman 2 (and that's the limit of the spoilers from me) is right up there with anything from Ragnarok or Black Panther in my book.
/Off Topic
Just watched the first episode. What makes this good is the fun and more importantly the relationships. A lot of the fun came from the interplay of characters whose story arcs have been played out over the years. Thats what most DC films lack. We just don't care about them enough.

Episode 1 of 4. Excellent all round. Best Wedding Ever!
Episode 2 of 4. OK but too much pouting and posing. Supergirl revealing the S etc etc. We are back in JL territory here.
Episode 3 of 4. Much better. Too much kissing though.
Episode 4 of 4. Solid episode. Final surprise was not a surprise.

Overall fun but there was nothing even close to Ragnarok or Black Panther. Don't get me wrong. It has more heart than JL but the Superman 2 moment was just that. A Superman 2 moment. But I'm glad I watched it though especially Episode 1.

/End

/Off Topic
Just watched the first episode. What makes this good is the fun and more importantly the relationships. A lot of the fun came from the interplay of characters whose story arcs have been played out over the years. Thats what most DC films lack. We just don't care about them enough.

Episode 1 of 4. Excellent all round. Best Wedding Ever!
Episode 2 of 4. OK but too much pouting and posing. Supergirl revealing the S etc etc. We are back in JL territory here.
Episode 3 of 4. Much better. Too much kissing though.
Episode 4 of 4. Solid episode. Final surprise was not a surprise.

Overall fun but there was nothing even close to Ragnarok or Black Panther. Don't get me wrong. It has more heart than JL but the Superman 2 moment was just that. A Superman 2 moment. But I'm glad I watched it though especially Episode 1.

/End
But....and here's the $65k question here...can you see Supergirls top lip fuzz or have they done a decent job of CGI'ing it out?

But....and here's the $65k question here...can you see Supergirls top lip fuzz or have they done a decent job of CGI'ing it out?

I'm more interested in fuzz that maybe seen elsewhere. :devil: :) I imagine most Supergirl fans would want to see more of her so they should check out episode 2 of season 1 of Homeland.

Bri

Was she in Mission Impossible too? Is Tom Cruise the only one in that film with a no facial hair clause in his contract? Maybe Supergirl simply had a better razor?

Let's get back on topic before we are told to ;)

Watched it twice (Second time to be sure)
Long Long way behind Marvel scene and looking at current media don't think they have prayer in hell either. DC really need to look at Marvel and what they are doing at the moment.
Forthcoming Infinity War will smash Box Offices I believe.
Film looks like it was rushed through production.
Some 4K was stunning like the Amazonians taking on Stepp but others like Superman close ups not good.

Batman looks just too big to do anything..
Wonder Woman - Well only watched it because of her. Gadot is Oh lalalala
Aquaman is drunk - need subs for him
Highlight for me was The Flash, some wit and humor.
Superman - Was ok
Cyborg - looked amazing
Steppenwolf - C Hinds has the villain's voice..

6/10

This franchise needs a serious reboot already - shame.

Batman looks just too big to do anything..
Wonder Woman - Well only watched it because of her. Gadot is Oh lalalala
Aquaman is drunk - need subs for him
Highlight for me was The Flash, some wit and humor.
Superman - Was ok
Cyborg - looked amazing
Steppenwolf - C Hinds has the villain's voice..

6/10
Batman too big - True
Best WW sequences in any film so far. Still don't think she was the right choice.
Aquaman need subs? Maybe you need a new system?..Just kidding but he was clear and fun.
Flash - best bit against Superman. Worst bit final scenes.
Cyborg - freaked me out every time I saw him, so it worked :)
Stepenwolf - Generic but not the worst of his kind. Looked half decent to me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom